My first craigslist burn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're an idiot if you pigeonhole my posts! :)

Funny, because in my opinion, your the idiot here with your agressive, name calling, insulting posts! But, then again, your opinion means less than nothing to me, as I don't know you, and have no desire to waste my time meeting you.

As far as I'm concerned, you can pound sand pal!

Respects,

Richard

Well all of you gentelman seem to have let space take charge of this this and perport that Warjohn was blah blah blah.......... Let's not forget that "they" agreed to hold the item. Someone like space would have been free to say F U here as he no doubt would have and could have, but these people agreed to hold the saw.

What if I posted my 044 on the tradin' post, you called and said I'm sending you the money. I said OK sure thing. Then fifteen minutes before your payment arrived in the mail I decided to sell it to some spacemule off the street? You have given me nothing but your word as of yet so I should be free to do with the saw what I wish. After all the only thing I have given you is my word. Should I have asked for another $20 so I did not sell it to someone else more convenient for me after I already sold it to you? I wonder how many here would see that differently. Space does have a little more fancy talk in him than I thought, but honestly claiming that asking for someone to keep their word means you would be asking for a handout is absolute rubbish, even from the other mule. Maybe no one else cares what their word is worth anymore, I do.

The speed limit here is 70 not 60. The cops won;t even look at you unless tou are going 10 over. The seller refused to show me there stopwatch to prove that I was late. Whether I was late or not had nothing to do with them selling the saw. The buyer was not supposed to go look at the saw until today is what the seller said but he showed up early.

What it boils down to is this. I missed a pretty good deal on an 044. I was not going to keep the saw I was going to resell it and hopefully make a profit. The seller had a chance to sell it and did. I can understand that. I did not make a big deal out of it I just wouldn't look at the other saw they had for sale. I have had great luck with craigslist and will continue to take my chances. I am out a little time and a little gas monet. No big deal but I don"t have to be happy about it.

Space does have a little more fancy talk in him than I thought, but honestly claiming that asking for someone to keep their word means you would be asking for a handout is absolute rubbish, even from the other mule.

Not
what I said at all. I said asking for something free is asking for a handout. Asking someone to hold something they're trying to sell is asking for something for nothing.

Whether I was late or not had nothing to do with them selling the saw. The buyer was not supposed to go look at the saw until today is what the seller said but he showed up early.

Bullspit. According to your words, you told them you would be there in 20 minutes if they held the saw. If you were not there in 20 minutes, then they would be under no obligation to hold it longer than that. And you're telling us that between the time you called him, someone else showed, looked at the saw, and bought it? All within 20 minutes? I know I said I wouldn't dispute the 20 minutes, but man, you're stretching it. Furthermore, if the 20 minutes was irrelevant, why were you asking to see his stopwatch?

Last edited:
Funny, because in my opinion, your the idiot here with your agressive, name calling, insulting posts! But, then again, your opinion means less than nothing to me, as I don't know you, and have no desire to waste my time meeting you.

As far as I'm concerned, you can pound sand pal!

Respects,

Richard
I must admit to lmao how you tell me "respects" right after you tell me to pound sand. :cheers:

[snip]

So if someone shows up with the cash, should I turn him away?

[snip]

I guess the best option is just state that first come, first get.

How did someone "just show up with the cash" if you didn't give them the address? ie, invite a number of people over and have a little race---one winner and the rest suckers, and they don't even know they're racing!

Sorry, but that's rude and inconsiderate of the people responding. I know a lot of people get burned by no-shows and when selling I only consider firm commitments to show up at a particular time---within an hour usually. Serious buyers make that time frame (in my geographic area)...even if they send a friend to do the deal for them. Lookie-loos want to wait a couple days and do things at the greatest convenience for themselves. Fine with me, call in a couple of days to see if I have it.

I consider the character of the seller as well of the condition of the equipment. Dealing with people of poor character is typically the start of all sorts of other problems not to mention diminishing your own life just by having contact with them. I want to be able to trust that what someone says about an item is honestly what they know about it---even if they don't know much. I also know that if someone is unwilling to trust me to be there in an hour if I say I will then I shouldn't trust them, at all. Folks that aren't trusting at least on a smaller thing usually got their intimate knowledge of dishonesty watching their own behavior. They know they themselves can't be trusted and figure the rest of the world is the same way. They're wrong---at least on the rest of the world part. They'll always be another of whatever they have, maybe even at a better price. If anything will get me in trouble it's my own greed, so I watch it. Being very ready to pass on a deal avoids problems.

I've never had someone show up with a half payment. On larger items they may show up with nothing, which is smart. I make a point of knowing the local banks so they can go hit an ATM...and my prices are often integrals of $20. Sometimes someone shows up and wants to negotiate despite an ad that say "firm". The smarter ones do this on the phone and pass if they can't get a price they like. The dumb ones try it in the driveway. It's always sticky. Usually they're knocking a price $5 or something silly---it's an ego thing. Typically I'll joke it off; "Sure, I'll let it go for that ($5 less) but the ad says "firm" so there's an $8 negotiation fee". They get the point. If I really don't like them I show them the ad, circle where it says "firm", tell them I'm sorry they wasted their time and walk away. I'm not payin' anybody $5 to feed their ego, I gotta keep mine fed.

As far as the "firm" people go, that kind of selling always annoyed me. Putting "make offer" without a starting price annoys me as well.

It's customary, around here anyway, to bargain on used equipment. The seller will start something above his "got to have" price, and good friendly ####ering is used to determine a selling price. Putting "firm" alienates many potential buyers, and is not a good sales tactic.

If you won't trust someone's check, why should they trust you on the condition of the equipment? :popcorn:

A) Because I've bounced checks before---innocently of course but mistakes happen. Mistakes don't happen with cash.

B) To negotiate the check I have to use their bank to avoid a paper trail. A hassle. I don't trust governments and they shouldn't trust me. Cash leaves no trail.

c) If someone needs a receipt I'm happy to make one up---or bill of sale.

The few times that I accepted checks I only will take the full asking price and they have to wait until the check clears until they get the item. If that's acceptable with them, then we have a deal, But Of course cash is King. Usually most people that buy chainsaws are fairly decent people, I've run into very few schmucks (maybe 3 in the past year) Its when I'm trying to sell a dirt-bike or quad is when I run into the real doozy's. :dizzy:

As far as the "firm" people go, that kind of selling always annoyed me. Putting "make offer" without a starting price annoys me as well.

It's customary, around here anyway, to bargain on used equipment. The seller will start something above his "got to have" price, and good friendly ####ering is used to determine a selling price. Putting "firm" alienates many potential buyers, and is not a good sales tactic.

When I use "firm" it's because I know very exactly what something is worth. If you don't want to pay what it's worth, go buy elsewhere. If I know the price is right and I give it away for less it'll just get flipped for the money I could have gotten. Screw dat.

I never say OBO. People will always make offers anyway and unless I said "firm", I'll consider them. Lowballers get ignored. If you really want to sell something, make it cheap. If people gotta have it for even less than that it gets annoying. People than just want to beat you down on something so they can say they did it are a waste of time.

On craigslist, saying "best offer" without listing a price is soliciting an auction. Expressly forbidden in the Terms of Use. Use your flag buttons to show your disapproval. Enough flags and the ad is toast. It's a very nice feature.

For the most part I don't like doing the negotiating thing. I'm not often in the mood and I'm just not that social. When I do fleece market of course it's all negotiating but I play it differently. Usually I have tables of nickel dimey stuff and someone will want a buck off this or .50 off that. I play to volume and get them to buy more for the lower prices. If I want to get a $20 bill out of the guy or gal standing there I get it---and they leave with an armload of treasure. It works well, I move a lot of stuff and get good cash for it.

My main "sales tactic" is Good Stuff at the Right Price. Nobody worth doing biz. with minds paying when the item is worth it. I don't cater to flippers. It works.

We sell a lot of things on a local internet organ similar to craigs list. Its an island so nobodies more than 40 mins away.
One thing is for sure, theres a lot of people prepared to say they`re on their way and never turn up. Wasting our time.
If someone says keep it for them i give them a time span and if anyone else rings i`ll tell them someones on their way but if they dont have the item or dont turn up i`ll ring them.
This works if there arent a lot of enquiries, but if there are its a first served arangement.
The guy selling the saw probably fielded another phone call after the op rang, but the guy got there first. Either because the seller made him aware of the op and the other buyer thought he`d jump in first with a handfull of readies, or the seller couldnt give a toss who bought the saw and didnt say anything.
Either way i wouldnt travel any great distance on the word of someone i didnt know from Adam.

We sell a lot of things on a local internet organ similar to craigs list. Its an island so nobodies more than 40 mins away.
One thing is for sure, theres a lot of people prepared to say they`re on their way and never turn up. Wasting our time.
If someone says keep it for them i give them a time span and if anyone else rings i`ll tell them someones on their way but if they dont have the item or dont turn up i`ll ring them.
This works if there arent a lot of enquiries, but if there are its a first served arangement.
The guy selling the saw probably fielded another phone call after the op rang, but the guy got there first. Either because the seller made him aware of the op and the other buyer thought he`d jump in first with a handfull of readies, or the seller couldnt give a toss who bought the saw and didnt say anything.
Either way i wouldnt travel any great distance on the word of someone i didnt know from Adam.

I think the cheaper the item is compared to what it's likely worth the more iffy it is. Could be something really wrong that wasn't disclosed until you show up (like all the carb parts in a bag except the missing ones and the story about the kid next door who gave up trying to fix it). Or people calling and offering more money if they can get there first with it---and too bad for the guy already on the way. If it's really cheap there's room to play that---and the seller may not be able to resist the extra cash for screwing over the person already driving over. My recent deal on the snowblower was unusual just because the seller didn't play that. They held to their price and their commitment to sell to me if I came over with the money---even after putting me off a couple days. They mentioned others were interested and I imagined some of those "others" were offering more to get it first. It was too cheap if the condition was as described. And it was exactly as described. I'll have to go over and clear her driveway next big snow---provided I get it running :)

What does "pound sand" mean anyway?

Is it a cleaned up sounding phrase that rhymes with a nasty derogatory
phrase?

What does "pound sand" mean anyway?

Is it a cleaned up sounding phrase that rhymes with a nasty derogatory
phrase?

I think it means to wander off across the desert---and hopefully not survive it. Essentially go away and stay that way. Similar to "walk west 'till your hat floats" but suited to inland locals. Generally a friendly level admonition.

There are other opinions. See:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pound sand

Warning: generous obscenity.

Last edited:
Back