My first day at ballet class

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've often wondered this about Dan. At first I didn't like him. Thought he was just a joke. Guy's actually got some skills though. Glad he ( sorta ) figured out how to post pics. His riggings are neat to look over on the other thread. As far as his words, sometimes I laugh, but most times I just scratch my head and wonder how on earth people like him really exist in this world.

Yeah, I was impressed with some of his rigging in the other threads. Not as impressed with these pics, thats why I asked how often he works with a crane. Seems technical rigging is where the dan shines. Were is the dan anyways??

Yeah, I was impressed with some of his rigging in the other threads. Not as impressed with these pics, thats why I asked how often he works with a crane. Seems technical rigging is where the dan shines. Were is the dan anyways??

Maybe Jackie Treehorn has got to him.

Ok, well for starters congrats on figuring out the pic upload process!! Now learn how to rotate and crop. WTH is up with the 3 saws? You really do not look to comfortable up there, but maybe its just the pics? How often do you work with a crane? Not trying to bust your b-lls, just stating the obvious. Oh yeah why do you always refer to yourself in the third person? Attempt at humor or are you just that far out there?

The Dan? Oh, its simple. Its makes him feel good that some of you got it... at least some of it. Yeah 3 saws, stuff happens.
Go ahead and give The Dan some pointers as he is in tune but guys like Mr. Treehorn are a pushover for him and I don't what to bring up the time the last guy TRIED to bounce a coffe cup off my forehead.

The Dan? Oh, its simple. Its makes him feel good that some of you got it... at least some of it. Yeah 3 saws, stuff happens.
Go ahead and give The Dan some pointers as he is in tune but guys like Mr. Treehorn are a pushover for him and I don't what to bring up the time the last guy TRIED to bounce a coffe cup off my forehead.

English brother, english!!!

Its a movie brother. Jeff Bridges plays Jeff Labowski ( aka The Dude) in the movie The Big Labowski. A must see.
The Chinaman too.
Now, do you hav eanything to say about the job?

Good job dan!!, is that what you want to here? I don't see to many movies these days.

Good job dan!!, is that what you want to here? I don't see to many movies these days.

I was actually expect everbody to be quite shocked at the shape the crane was in. I told Jamie to get some GOOD pics of it but I guess he didn't take any close ups.
Ol-d brought up some good points about wanting to be low on the cuts.I guess my cuts were hard to see but what do you think? I will get the video of the top coming out of the ash.
Any of you know the rating on a 40 year old crane?

I was actually expect everbody to be quite shocked at the shape the crane was in. I told Jamie to get some GOOD pics of it but I guess he didn't take any close ups.
Ol-d brought up some good points about wanting to be low on the cuts.I guess my cuts were hard to see but what do you think? I will get the video of the top coming out of the ash.
Any of you know the rating on a 40 year old crane?

Well, if you are just getting your saw started in at chest height and then stepping down a couple to finish the cut there's nothing wrong with that. However there is a problem if you can not cut at head height with a 44 its really not that heavy. is it? It also really depends on the pick, for instance if you are picking strait stems with 2 chokers then its really not as big of a deal cutting at chest height but even then there is still the possibility for the crane operator to over tension the pick and have the log pop up and smack you or worse come down upon you. I 90% of the time (finish) cut at head height when working with the crane but different people like different techniques. Alot of people like to use snap cuts when working with a crane so they can step under the cuts and harms way, I do not like this method personally. The more you work with a crane and its operator the more predictable the picks become, just keep in mind its mother nature your dealing with and there are to many variables to predict them all so be prepared to dance if need be. I am quite sure you already know most if not all of this. Oh yeah, on the 3 saw thing, yes Sh!t happens up there but with a good operator and some practice making the cuts and setting the chokers correctly you should not need more then 1 saw up there at all times. If you pop a chain, pinch the saw, run out of gas, etc. etc., you have a rope and a groundsman to accomidate you with a second or even third saw if need be. In all sinceraty good job and stay safe!!

Well, if you are just getting your saw started in at chest height and then stepping down a couple to finish the cut there's nothing wrong with that. However there is a problem if you can not cut at head height with a 44 its really not that heavy. is it? It also really depends on the pick, for instance if you are picking strait stems with 2 chokers then its really not as big of a deal cutting at chest height but even then there is still the possibility for the crane operator to over tension the pick and have the log pop up and smack you or worse come down upon you. I 90% of the time (finish) cut at head height when working with the crane but different people like different techniques. Alot of people like to use snap cuts when working with a crane so they can step under the cuts and harms way, I do not like this method personally. The more you work with a crane and its operator the more predictable the picks become, just keep in mind its mother nature your dealing with and there are to many variables to predict them all so be prepared to dance if need be. I am quite sure you already know most if not all of this. Oh yeah, on the 3 saw thing, yes Sh!t happens up there but with a good operator and some practice making the cuts and setting the chokers correctly you should not need more then 1 saw up there at all times. If you pop a chain, pinch the saw, run out of gas, etc. etc., you have a rope and a groundsman to accomidate you with a second or even third saw if need be. In all sinceraty good job and stay safe!!

right that was one problem, eddie only had one ratty strap. The one pic where it looks like I am eating it the strap was on the wrong side BUT I thought better to dodge the butt that have the top over my head on that strap. 2 straps = better. I also strapped that one low for 2 reasons. So itwould slide off as I like 2 straps and also for less swing into my face.
Now my cuts I guess seem pretty OK, I just cut one direction , flat, then make an downward angle cut from the side I am on to meet it, its clean. Its hard to see it but I am behind the high part of my cut.
Like I said, Eddie was real good ceptin his stuff be not. Eddie did have a little to much lift when the pieces came off. That's his thing,I think, get it out of the guys face fast before the crane topples.
No matter for The Dan, although he was glad to be doing that kind of work again even if it was just for a moment. Hopefully he does more, I can't wait.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give this old thread a bump. It seems my prediction came true and that old crane has hefted its last load. Its crumpled remains have been towed off to the graveyard. I am not sure if anybody was hurt or killed and don't know anything else yet but I will find out.
I also have to say I knew I should have never been messing around with those guys, its was fun while it lasted though.

Just wanted to give this old thread a bump. It seems my prediction came true and that old crane has hefted its last load. Its crumpled remains have been towed off to the graveyard. I am not sure if anybody was hurt or killed and don't know anything else yet but I will find out.
I also have to say I knew I should have never been messing around with those guys, its was fun while it lasted though.

Almost forgot about this one, Dano. That was a really scary looking rig there. There's an article in the new TCI mag that mentioned "cycles to failure" on cranes. An old, beat up machine, will probably lose it at some point. Glad it wasn't with you on the ball. Hope no one got hurt.

Nice work Dan. I missed this one when you posted it a couple of years back. I was a lot busier back then.

Anyway, I like to get under the cuts on a straight pole. I will get my cut started then spike down a couple of feet where my head is under the cut. On leader or spar cuts with a lean I have no problem with cutting at chest level. Not rocket science on which way they are going to come off.

I do like to have my TIP above my rigging point when I am blocking big wood but that point has been debated to death already.

And to tell the truth I appreciate your candor and wit Dano. At least you're real on here. The Dan represents about 90% of the real climbers I have met in this profession.

Latest posts

Back