My First Shindaiwa!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pereynol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've been looking for a smaller, more nimble saw to take care of limbs, and little stuff when I am out cutting firewood. I kept reading good things here about the Shindaiwa 360/377 and I finally got a 360 on Craigslist yesterday. It was in good shape (homeowner owned) and came with a case. Got it for $150 which I thought was fair.
It needed a few carb adjustments, but runs great now. I was quite surprised with the pep of this little saw, and couldn't believe how fast it cut! While I only ran it for about 15 minutes today, I've got a good feeling about this little dude.
I am going to put a flocked air filter in it, give it a 14'' bar instead of the 16'' that's on it now, and probably replace the fuel cap. I love its light-weight feel, and swift acceleration.
Make sure you don't overlook these little Shindaiwa saws if you are looking for a smaller, well-constructed saw that really sings.

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Best,

Peter

Running:
Stihl 056 Mag II
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Shindaiwa 360

Projects
Homelite Super EZ Auto
McCulloch Titan 57
Stihl 020t

Make sure you don't overlook these little Shindaiwa saws if you are looking for a smaller, well-constructed saw that really sings.

NO! DON'T LISTEN TO HIM! HE'S REALLY THE DEVIL! Overlook these saws; pass them by, do not even glance in their direction. They are just crappy "Jap saws", not worth your time and effort. You want quality German engineering, even if it is built like an Echo at twice the price!

(There. That should keep these people from snapping up all the good Shindaiwa deals. I have enough problems with Alderman getting to them before I do, without bringing up a whole new crop of Shinny fans. All I have to do is convince them that Stihl is the only saw to buy, and the Shindaiwas will be mine, all mine! Hahahahahahaha!)

(Ooops...did I just think that, or type it? Damn you, brain!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

I'm running a 360 and 377 and pick one of them up any time there is a job suitable to a light weight saw. My only knocks on the 360 are they only have one bar stud, (which hasn't proven to be a problem), and I like the two studs on the 377.
The other is this saw loves to suck in dirt to the filter area, more so than any other saw I run. I think the flocked filter is a good option and I also put on the optional prefilter which is a little rectangular screen that slides into some notches below the air intake.

My first chainsaw (other than a Homelite) was a 357. I sorta still have that saw - had a friend who worked for Shindaiwa, and he took it in to get repaired. They replaced everything but the b/c. All for free! It was a good deal, except that when they put the carb back on the saw, they did it wrong, so it didn't run right for quite a while.

Anyway, it's a good limbing saw, but even brand new 357 against an older Stihl MS200T, the Stihl starts better/easier and has more power.

Well, the power is a given since the Stihl is a pro saw, but the Shindaiwa always takes 2-3 pulls to start when warm, and as much as 10 to start when cold. The Stihl takes 1 pull to start warm, 2-3 when cold.
-Steve

Here are some pictures

Took these pictures right after I ran the saw yesterday. The gas cap leaks so I've ordered a new one, and a flocked air filter. A new 14'' bar and chain is on the way from Bailey's. I was also a bit skeptical about the single bar stud, but it probably won't be an issue with the 14'' bar.

Anyone know if it's possible to add a second bar stud? If this is such a similar saw to the 377, seems like it wouldn't be a bid deal if they share so many parts.

Cannot wait to get into the woods with this bad boy.

Peter

attachment.php

attachment.php

Good lookin saw!! The 360 is one of my favorite Shindaiwas. No way to add a bar stud, it doesn't really need it anyway. Remove the base gasket and do a muffler mod and it will really wake up!!! Does the carb have the high speed adjustment on it? I always like 3/8 LP on mine....

:cheers:
Mike

Nothing wrong with Shinnys in my experience, although I just have a 488 I got from Epicklein. I modded the muffler and bought some loops of .325 full comp RM Stihl chain for it and its a very fun little light saw to use. My back thanks me when I use it.

I have buried the 18" bar and thats all she wants in hardwoods, but it really isnt designed for that big of wood.

Congrats on your Shindaiwa!!!

Yes, it does have the high and low speed adjustments on the carb (thank God)! I also like the accessibility of the idle adjustment. Very user friendly! Anyone take a guess at how old this saw is?? I have no idea, but I like an older style saw like this since it isn't all EPA'd up. I don't even mind the front tensioner!

I've rebuilt a few saws, but never modded any. As long as it doesn't affect the longevity of the engine, I will definitely look into modding this thing.

Thanks for putting my pics up!

Peter

"I always like 3/8 LP on mine...."

:agree2:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me on the Shindaiwas, when the front handle is black it has the fully adjustable carb. At least that
seems to be the case with the saws I've come across. This hasn't been verified so don't hold me to it.

Back