my first use of my new 5100...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melly-mel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
got a few hrs on her this morning. WOW...this saw is a little animal. I cut a bunch of oak up this morning, and she never missed a beat. it is no comparison to my 029. not even close. revs for days, plenty of speed and power. light enough to use all day with ease. again, what a great saw. dolmar has me on board for sure. glad i went with this saw, and thanks to all the fellas round here who gave me advice, and information on saws. scary to think that it will get better with a few more tanks through it. now i just need to save up for my 7900 and i am all set.

got a few hrs on her this morning. WOW...this saw is a little animal. I cut a bunch of oak up this morning, and she never missed a beat. it is no comparison to my 029. not even close. revs for days, plenty of speed and power. light enough to use all day with ease. again, what a great saw. dolmar has me on board for sure. glad i went with this saw, and thanks to all the fellas round here who gave me advice, and information on saws. scary to think that it will get better with a few more tanks through it. now i just need to save up for my 7900 and i am all set.

LOL - we sure pushed you a bit, but not that bad, was it.....:greenchainsaw:

It will do even better, after 10-15 tanks......

Last edited:
A new saw is a good thing

Always fun to try out something new. I just picked up a used Shindaiwa 577 and after a stint in the hospital I at least got to warm it up on some small stuff the other day. That sure lifted my spirits.

Being a staunch Shidaiwa supporter I probably won't get a Dolmer anytime soon, but it sure would be nice to give one a try. The Shindaiwa's don't wind up as much but seem to have decent torgque. The extra rpm's would be something new for me.

Send pics if you have them.

I remember reading a few of your threads when you were trying to decide what to buy.I got one about 5 months ago.Burned about 15 tanks so far.Not as much power as my 357 and 262 husky's ,but much lighter and easier on the back.

Congrats!!!

Well Mel-Mel,

IT's about time!!!

I'm the same way, I really want to know from others and do plenty of research before I buy. Then I'm usually very pleased.

It makes me feel good to see we helped in your decision. Now you know why I rave about them and so many others on AS as well.

I cut with my 5100 and 7900 today as well, great saws.

Congratulations again,

Yasha

thanks fellas, i am very happy to have had all ur input, and will try and get some pics this weekend. cheers.

Congratulations, melly-mel !

I too asked for advice here before buying. I too ended up with a 5100, but it's been parked in the garage now for two weeks, without even being gassed ! Oh well, at least I can read about it. Been under the weather this week, but HOPE to go REAL soon. My sister has an oak that's been down for a year, and became mind numbing with the 210, PLUS, she got two locusts she wants down. I can't wait !

Then, one of my co-workers, who is a firm Stihl disciple, wants to know when I'm going to bring that "Dolcolax" to see how it runs against his 029.

AND THEN ..... my wifes nephew, that heats with wood, wants to see how it goes against his 350 Husky.

I only hope that it goes half as well as I think it should, and I can't wait. I'm already thinking about a muffler mod, and I haven't even pulled the rope for the first time. They're right, THIS IS ADDICTING !

CONGRATULATIONS !!! :clap: :cheers:

My "local" Dolmar dealer that is not a rental yard stocks the 510 and he is 40 minutes away. As much as I'd LOVE to get a 5100 I don't see it in the cards for me.

I should pick up a NE 346 from the same dealer I got my Dixon ZTR and string trimmer from, he's about 7 minutes away and is a Husky, Stihl, Solo and echo dealer, not counting mowers. No, I do not live in a heavily wooded or heavily populated area (think 125,000). Oh well, it'll be easier getting parts, if needed, for the Husky when I'm up Nort at the cabin.

If there are any stocking dolmar dealers on here feel free to pm me and.........

one of my co-workers, who is a firm Stihl disciple, wants to know when I'm going to bring that "Dolcolax" to see how it runs against his 029.

AND THEN ..... my wifes nephew, that heats with wood, wants to see how it goes against his 350 Husky.

I only hope that it goes half as well as I think it should, and I can't wait. I'm already thinking about a muffler mod, and I haven't even pulled the rope for the first time. They're right, THIS IS ADDICTING !

CONGRATULATIONS !!! :clap: :cheers:

Before you compete with fully broke-in saws, you will want to run 10 - 15 tanks through her, like others recommend, first; then she really starts perking up. Plus you, and they, will be able to better appreciate the 5100.

When you break the 5100 in, (any saw for that matter) make sure you don't over-rev it without a load. I give it a little gas to get me started in the wood. Once a load is on the saw, I start leaning on it harder and fully open her up. Don't fully rev a saw without a load, until it's broke in. Even once it's broke in, I hardly, if ever, fully rev the saw (without a load). You can damage the saw if you do.

This has worked well for us and the saws really seem to stay strong and healthy. There are other factors as well. Obviously, maintenance is also key.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Happy competing and sawing!

That 5100/7900 combo is hard to beat especially when comparing price. Glad you like it.:clap:

Latest posts

Back