My Hand-Powered splitting line-up is complete!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapplermi

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It finally dried off enough that me and the boy could get to some of the black birch that blew down last fall. I have been accumulating all of the top of the line splitters. I made my own pickeroon from a cheap axe and plasma cutter, and it is just awesome. The splitters from left are, my pickeroon, Helko Vario, Gransfor Bruks, and Fiskars. I officially like the Fiskars the best. The Helko shines in really large rounds, but they have to be fairly straight-grained. I just wish Fiskars made an SS with a 34-36" handle. I also included my Snellerized 346, which gets more nasty every time I use it, a pic of the best gloves ever, and a shot of my haul for the day. Enjoy!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice line up!

Those are some pretty sweet splitters. I've got the Fiskars and have been wondering about the Gransfors.

I picked up two old Gransfors axe heads (single and double), cleaned them up, hung them on new handles (sanded hickory and linseed oil). Boy do they stay sharp! It's amazing.

Can you tell me how the Gransfors compares to the Fiskars?

Thanks-

Nice pictures, btw what do you use the pickaroon for. Is it just grabbing stuff out of reach or rolling over limbs?

Scrap,

I like the Fiskers better, it seems more nimble. The steel on the Gransfor is awesome, and it does pack quite a punch, it's quite a bit heavier too. It has it's uses, but seems to get stuck a bit more too.

DJ,

I use it to pull things out of my truck, it really works great. Also, I'm learning to use it as I split, too, to stand pieces back up, saving me from bending over all the time.

I like your pickaroon, now i,m going to have to make one. You also have some of the best hand splitting tools money can buy. I too like swinging my axes once in a while myself.

Woodsman,

I think you can get some very similar at Northern Tool. I got mine at an auction, wish I would have bought more than a dozen. Mine are the winter weight ones, they last longer than the light ones.

DJ,

I use it to pull things out of my truck, it really works great. Also, I'm learning to use it as I split, too, to stand pieces back up, saving me from bending over all the time.

I use my teenage cusin for standing the wood back up. No bending over required on my part LOL

Nice line up!

At the suggestion of someone here, I use a regular garden hoe in lieu of a pickaroon...it is working out surprisingly well! I already had the hoe, and I hardly ever use it (I have one of those three-fingered rake like hoes I prefer in the garden now).

Sure makes it nice not climbing into my truck when the cap is on.

I have a Fiskars, but for huge maple rounds I would like something with a little longer handle and bigger head.

Were did you pick those other 2 up at?

Also, thanks for the idea on that hookaroon. I am going to pick up a cheap ax this weekend and let the plasma cutter eat away at it.

Back