My Husky 55 purchase from Neal with pics...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcsman

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my Husky 55 CP that I purchased from Neal on Friday. Got the 20" bar I had requested mounted with one of the Vanguard chains. He told me they were not the best cutters before he sent them, but I wanted a 3/8" bar to match my Stihl saw so I could interchange chains. Filled with oil and fuel, filed the chain as it looked kind of dull. Found out it has the compression release button so got her started. Runs like a raped ape, but as Neal told me the Vanguard isn't much of a cutter. But I will tell ya with a good chain this will scream. She came a little dirty and the top cap was somewhat sun faded as I knew from his pictures. But have cleaned her up pretty well and looks good. As I told him good looks don't make a saw cut any better so the operation to me was more important. I took a few pics, am very happy with my purchase and Neal has been very helpful. I'm pretty new here so was leery of a saw purchase without seeing it operate in person, but all the comments from members here said I can't go wrong with Neal. Have to say they were very correct. Thanks Neal!!!!

Update: Put on an old loop from my Stihl 20" bar and cut down a smaller tree. Lots of difference, I'm sure a new loop will really make her dig!!

View attachment 311260View attachment 311261View attachment 311262View attachment 311263

Last edited:
Looks like a beauty to me. Congrats. Have some new saw rep! :msp_thumbsup:

the only way i can get a vanguard chain to cut is file those things they call rakers down a few strokes with a flat file.i actually had the one on my 51/55 throwing some good noodles the other night for a little while.that is until my idle dissapeared and found out my fuel line was pinched almost closed,muffler nuts worked loose,air filter popped loose,and was sucking air in behind the carb.wasnt too much scoring on the piston. :( old dried out Locust is hell on a saw.got an 028 super piston coming.gonna set the squish this time and lose the base gasket.i'm scrounging air injection parts also.might as well go for a full meltdown.lol

@ burnses & jughead Sounds like I better keep an eye on the muffler nuts huh? Pretty easy to check once in awhile if I can remember.
I can play with the Vanguards, they are pretty new so would be nice to get them digging a little better....

just a couple of licks per sharpening seems to work.if i was cutting anything other than locust i would be running stihl chain.
oh yeah to the op good luck with the closed port ;)the 55 is one of the great ones.

@ burnses & jughead Sounds like I better keep an eye on the muffler nuts huh? Pretty easy to check once in awhile if I can remember.
I can play with the Vanguards, they are pretty new so would be nice to get them digging a little better....

One I have here, parts in a box, had the muffler get loose, I didn't notice it until I felt warmth on my hand, stopped the saw, went WTF...never ran again, piston scorched and scored. happened fast, too.. Some day I will rebuild it, but don't care right now, plenty of other saws.

Learned a lot since then, plus..limiter caps on saws. Another expensive lesson.

One I have here, parts in a box, had the muffler get loose, I didn't notice it until I felt warmth on my hand, stopped the saw, went WTF...never ran again, piston scorched and scored. happened fast, too.. Some day I will rebuild it, but don't care right now, plenty of other saws.

Learned a lot since then, plus..limiter caps on saws. Another expensive lesson.

Ouch,

Sounds like a good place to go if and when I need some parts for my saw!!!!

just a couple of licks per sharpening seems to work.if i was cutting anything other than locust i would be running stihl chain.
oh yeah to the op good luck with the closed port ;)the 55 is one of the great ones.

When filing the rakers do you mean a few strokes at the angle they have or "a little off the top"?? Might as well find the right way to do it before I mess them up.

nice saw...I have one and was real impressed the first time I used it. I run 325 18 inch and it really goes ck the muffler nuts as they tend to loosen after awhile.

sap can

Never found too many of those muffler nuts to stay put, last time i rebuilt a 55 I had a friend weld the cylinder so the muffler can bolt on.View attachment 311603

Last edited:
Ouch,

Sounds like a good place to go if and when I need some parts for my saw!!!!

Well...it was worse than that, it was/is my boss's saw!!

I have plenty to cut with, I do all the sawing around here, so he isn't too worried about it. I told him I would fix it "some day"....

Screwing up a coupla saws lead me to this site and then to working on them so....paid for education.

Back