My latest build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had a saw that looked that good, I would not want to use it and get it all dirty again. Good thing I get old clunkers off ebay.

Yes it's a nice job that looks great, but if you do a lot of rebuilding saw's, get one air-brush for the touch up painting. You will like that.

I couldn't not. The saw looks like new, how can you leave it with these blemishes?

I can't let my boys down:laugh: I gues you know where I'll be going soon. I'll take the bar/clutch cover and have them scan it to match. A half-pint of acrylic enamel should do the trick. You guys are aweful. How's a guy supposed to deal with this saw addiction?:hmm3grin2orange:

Here's how this saw came together. I had three 026 and 260 saws. I took the best from all three of them to build this saw. This saw had a nice tank/handle, but another had a new one. I swapped them. Same thing with the P&C, top handle, kickback guard, bar, and bar cover. The only parts I bought new were the engine shroud, filter cover, name plate on starter, chain catcher and plug, sprocket, air filter, and ElastoStart rope. I repainted the starter, which was slightly burnt in the front. Even though I swapped several of the pricier parts from other saws, I still have about $315 in this saw. On top of that, I sold the other saws for less than what I had in them since new parts had been swapped with used ones. I lost about $100 on one saw I swapped parts with. It would never make sense to buy a parts saw and then purchase everything I replaced with new. If you figure in what I lost on the other saws, I probably have >$400 in this saw. Here's the thing though. I LOVE doing stuff like this! Look what can be made from someone else's "junk". It's really rewarding for me. This saw is now a piece of me, representative of what I am. Believe me, you won't make any money doing this. But in this case, it doesn't really matter. I'm keeping this one........at least until they come out with a MS261:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

i recommend the val-spar "tractor restoration" level of spraypaint from tractor supply. if you bake it in the oven it really holds up quite well and if you buy it by the quart and spray it with a gun use the hardner and its quite indestructible fornormal enamel paint. oh its "old ford grey" is a dead match for stihl white. and one coat or two "thin" is all you need.

i know this thing is 3 yrs old but, brad, you put the crankcase and everything in there ??
how do you deal with water and detergent getting in the bearings and such ??

i know this thing is 3 yrs old but, brad, you put the crankcase and everything in there ??
how do you deal with water and detergent getting in the bearings and such ??

That was way back when I first started. I would no longer put a crank in there. Actually, I rarely use the dishwasher anymore. I now have a parts washer tank in the garage. But it was dried and oiled immediately. This is the saw that ended up ported and with the 044 carb.

That was way back when I first started. I would no longer put a crank in there. Actually, I rarely use the dishwasher anymore. I now have a parts washer tank in the garage. But it was dried and oiled immediately. This is the saw that ended up ported and with the 044 carb.

I put the first 028 I did in the dishwasher in the same way, case assembled with the crank bearings, as soon as it came out I noticed it had some resistance when I spun it. That scared the crap out of me, figured I ruined it. I filled the case with some transmission fluid and let it sit, covered, while I was waiting on parts. It's still running, but I've not done it again. Did this saw ever have any problems arising from the way you cleaned it, as you said, that was three years ago? By the way, I've learned a lot reading your posts, thanks for the details.

Latest posts

Back