My lazy ass saw system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I run a small tree company, actually as of yesterday I run 2 small arborist companies.

Im lazy, I HATE sorting through chainsaw chains. When I started out I had a mix of saws, bars, chains and as my saw collection grew I found I was getting a few more saws but alot more bars and chains. For my 44 and 66's I had 18, 20, 22, 25, 30, and 36 inch bars.

I was on a job contract climbing for another company, they opened the back of there truck and for 2 guys they had about 10 saws in there. Alot of old and well worn units. But it wasnt until he got out a small suit case full of chain and spent half an hour trying to figure which chain was for a particular saw that I saw my potential future and decided that I WASNT GOING TO GO DOWN THAT PATH.

So I came up with a system. All My 44's and 66's were all put on a strict 22 inch diet with 36 inch bigger bar backup. (22inch is the forestry standard here) I sadly sold my 372xp.

My 346's and 262's were put on 18 inch bars. running 325 050

My 88's and 3120 I havent standardised (yet). I have 30, 42 and 50 inch bars on them but its not really a problem.

and then the MS200's are a mix of 12 and 14's.

I know its a small thing but its made my life and shed full of gear and on the job changes alot simpler. Anyone else done the same or come up with a workable chain sortage system for on the job?

Im working on that. I am getting sick of sorting as well. I want a 25" bar for one of my 064's but that will just add to the confusion. Right now they wear 28" and 20". The 3rd one is still just a powerhead in the build process.

I eliminated the 18" from my lineup, 16", 20" 28" are pretty much what I have. I just need to decide on a gauge of chain so I can spin chain from a single reel of 3/8, and .325 for the little saws.

I have the same problem and don't even have a tree buss. just a bad case of CAD:cry:

I don't change bars and chains on the job, I come and leave with whatever I need already setup. If I need a different length bar I grab another saw. My standard for myself is
192T 12"
200T 14"
361 20"
440 25"
660 32"

Like I said this covers myself for takedowns and trimming. I have 12 saws all together but, this is my standard on the job setup. I may need a special setup like a 3120 with a 5' bar, but I get that ready the night before.

ive got nails on the wall 20" 18" 24/25" 28" a naill for each spot. a simple sheat of plywood with short bungies could keep them streched tight and easily axesible

i also run stihl 3003 bars all 3/8 050. my 372 is even going to go to 3003 bar ounce i make or buy the adapter

Na, really I have a ton of chains but they are all seperated in perfect order.:cheers:

I like your plan. However, I would have added 395's for the 36" and kept the 044/066/660's on the 22".

I like the 18 325 50 for the 346/262!:chainsaw::chainsaw::clap:

I would standardize the 088/3120 with 41" because they take the same number of 404 drivers.:cheers:

The best thing, in my opinion, is to limit the number of saw chain combinations. And ideally, to run all the same pitch and gauge chain so that you can salvage damaged loops, swap chains between saws, etc., etc., etc.

That said, the group I work with runs 5 different STIHL saws, each with a different loop (pitch, gauge, DL). I hate it, but it is outside of my control.

One system that helps is a simple board mounted in our equipment trailers, with a hanging nail and labeled marks. Since each loop is a different length we just hang the chain over the nail and see which saw it fits.

This even works in distinguishing the chains for the 3 different 16" saws (021, 250, 260) we run (use a bungee cord to keep them from swinging when you drive). If you work out of a trailer, and invest in a few more nails, you can even store your chains on the nails so that you grab the right one. Same type of board in the shop can be used to store and quickly inventory the chains next to the sharpening bench.

Philbert

On another thread, someone mentioned using heavy duty (freezer grade) zip-lock bags. After each chain is sharpened, it goes into a labeled zip-lock bag that you store in a box, old ammo can, etc.

If you keep the bags sorted by saw/size/type you are set. If you throw all the bags into the same box, you still only need to pick each one up to see what it is. Prevents tangles and damage.

Philbert

meez system

since i am always running different types of tree jobs i just show up to a job with 5 to six sawz with bars from 12" to 36". my theory is have all the saws sharp and fueled and full of oil and cut with each size til it runs out of fuel grab the next saw and repeat till the job is done. in my shop i have peg board on the wall each size bar and chain has a dedicated peg for each size,only bug in my system is the odd ball homey and 1/4" pitch chains and bars. i run mac and homey topping sawz and who the heck knows what old dinosaur i might dig out of my saw grave yard for fun cutting. my primary work sawz are a Stihl MS 210 16" bar and 365 pitch 50 gauge pitch none safety chain and a Stihl MS 460 w/3/4 wrap handle and the PNW dawgs and a 32" bar and 375 pitch 50 gauge full skip chain,Stihl MS 066 with a full wrap handle and the PNW dawgs and a 36" bar and 375 pitch 50 gauge full skip chain. on the job i just file so i have less krapp to bring if three sawz are not enough i bring every runner i got.
:cheers:

Ive got five saws right now. I keep all my chains in the carton that the came in. I use a sharpie pen to note which saw it belongs to and how many sharpenings on the box. Plus I keep my spare chains with each saw in its carrying case. Works for me. Maybe the ziplock baggie method might work for you? Use a sharpie pen to write notes on the baggie.

Well with the purchase of this new company my cad number is quite different. it should also have added

echo echo echo echo echo echo echo echo echo (all top handles) ms200t 346xp 266xp 440 066 394xp 395xp. and a barrel of junkers. The big huskys are in pretty good nick but are going to ruin my system and as I have 5 66's they arent needed.

The funny thing about echo top handles, they are to cheap to want to fix but to expensive to just throw away!

Im going to have to keep a mix of bars for the 88's etc. We do some BIG trees at times and have only JUST had a 42 inch bar be big enough to get a backcut in from both sides to meet in the middle, and this was working 8 feet up the tree!

I have binned about 50 chains so far and am going through alot of excess gear. The company belonged to a good mate of mine and it still feels like Im walking on his grave in some ways.

Last edited:
My chains at home hang on nails along with extra bars of the same length. In the truck I toss them in and they slide around and rust. Not the best system. I used to use freezer bags but they broke too easily.

I like the 22" bar length also. A bonus is that Stihl bars are a very good deal. Cheap even.

saw chain organizeing

I dont have very many saws but i got a few chains but what I have been useing is one of those cheap carabiners and you can put all the chains for that one saw on the one carabiner hook it into anouther carabiner and when you need to go to a work site just grab the whole ordeal keeps mine from getting tangled up.

My first step was to standardize on .375 .050 full chisel chain for all but the top handle saws. Right now everything runs full comp, but I do have a few loops of semi-skip for the 50" and up bars.

The top handle saws are a mix right now and I have the dealer make me loops for each one. There is a cheaper way, I just haven't set it up yet. I'm thinking of going to .325 .050 for all the smaller saws. I don't know how that will work on the the MS200 T's and MS192T's.

Mr. HE:cool:

I only have 2 saws and a couple of bars for each but here's my bar/chain/tool box:

2009-08-21014.jpg

2009-08-21016.jpg

2009-08-21017.jpg

I only have 2 saws and a couple of bars for each but here's my bar/chain/tool box:

2009-08-21014.jpg

2009-08-21016.jpg

2009-08-21017.jpg

The bar/chain box is disturbingly anal retentive, and obscene.

I like it!!!

Mind if I copy it shamelessly, with a few inept errors on attention to detail?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The bar/chain box is disturbingly anal retentive, and obscene.

I like it!!!

Mind if I copy it shamelessly, with a few inept errors on attention to detail?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Copy away!!

It's just something I had been thinking about for a while and just decided to throw together one afternoon.

Made another one for my stump grinder teeth/tools.

2009-08-21018.jpg

Latest posts

Back