My lazy ass saw system

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On another thread, someone mentioned using heavy duty (freezer grade) zip-lock bags. After each chain is sharpened, it goes into a labeled zip-lock bag that you store in a box, old ammo can, etc.

If you keep the bags sorted by saw/size/type you are set. If you throw all the bags into the same box, you still only need to pick each one up to see what it is. Prevents tangles and damage.

Philbert
That's what I do. Keeps the inevitable toolbox grit out of them, too. A light fogging of WD40 every now and again keeps them ready to go.

It's just something I had been thinking about for a while and just decided to throw together one afternoon.

Made another one for my stump grinder teeth/tools.

how are you going to finish them? satin, semi gloss, or gloss?

It's just something I had been thinking about for a while and just decided to throw together one afternoon.

Made another one for my stump grinder teeth/tools.

how are you going to finish them? satin, semi gloss, or gloss?

Nothing but a little bit of grease, dirt, and grime and some scratches here and there from riding in the back of the Excursion.

On another thread, someone mentioned using heavy duty (freezer grade) zip-lock bags. After each chain is sharpened, it goes into a labeled zip-lock bag that you store in a box, old ammo can, etc.

If you keep the bags sorted by saw/size/type you are set. If you throw all the bags into the same box, you still only need to pick each one up to see what it is. Prevents tangles and damage.

Philbert

That is my system. I used to use on freezer bag per chain but have now gone to just one bag for each size and all chains of one size go in that bag. When fully equipped my ammo box contains 5 baggies now, 16, 18, 20, 25, 28 (28 rarely goes as it isn't used much).

Chains that need sharpening come back in the glove box and are hung by the bench until sharped.

The freezer bags last a long time.

Harry K

I was talking to my Stihl dealer the other day and he was telling me about a former Metroparks manager. He devised a system where each model saw used one size bar. So 026 had 18",036 had 20" and 044 had 24". So anyone running a saw that needs a chain would ask for a 026 chain and everyone knew what size was needed. I thought it was a good idea for a company with lots of employees, some who arent saw savvy too. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back