My New Gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I buy one new pair of gloves each year. I do all my firewood lugging and stacking with a pair of leather welder's gloves I purchase from a Chinese man at a local flee market. They are as tough as nails and give a good grip. Once cutting season is over I use them daily at the OWB as they protect me from the fire and heat. Come spring time they are usally smooth and shiny and lose their grip. So, I go buy another pair.

I only paid $4 for these! Great deal for such a durable glove. Of course they can get hot in the summer but the protection they offer is worth it. I don't wear them when I'm running my saw as I have a pair of gloves with chainsaw material in them. Once I turn the saw off I throw these guys on and start lugging. I also like how high they come up on my forearm as they give me extra protection from scrapes when lugging.

I know we all spend a lot of money on PPE but I wanted to show that good protection can be afforded for low $$

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Right on, Wca! The good stuff usually costs a lot of money. Nowadays it's easy to spend $25 on leather work gloves that don't last any longer than your $4 pair. Wish that flea market guy would travel to Ely. I'd drop $40 faster than you can say "a blisterless life!." :D :D

Holy buckets! One pair of gloves a year?Man,I wish I could get that kind of mileage outa mine.
I gave up on using high dollar gloves,seems that they dont last any longer than the cheap gloves.I buy a bundle from the feedstore,and Im lucky if they last the day under heavy use.I blew out three pairs in one day awhile back,luckily they were only three bucks a pair.

I burn through the leather gloves pretty fast too - especially if they get wet. A year would be awesome, I have lost count of the number of pairs I go through. I think I wore out 2 dozen pair of leather gloves last calendar year. In fact I started marking them with the size and a number so that my boys and I don't get the medium and large mixed up as much - each glove in a pair is marked as "L01" for example. The numbers keep a pair together so that I get more uniform wear. I restarted at pair #1 a few times last year.

A few things I do to prolong the life of the leather gloves are:

- gloves that will get wet are treated with sno-seal periodically

- once leather gloves are wet I swap for another pair - wet leather gloves wear much faster than dry ones

I watch for gloves on sale at TSC, Lowes, etc. and buy them by the multi-pack. Costco regularly has some nice ones in a 3 pack but they are pricey at something close to $6/pair.

I have given up on the expensive gloves, they just don't seem to hold up to "real work" much better than the cheap ones.

yeah i used to use those when i was stickwelding alot. im sure i still have some kicking around. i never tired them for firewooding cuse they are pretty thick and bulky. maybe ill give it a try to see how it goes.

I've give up on leather, unless handling barbed wire or welding. I just buy the string knit white cotton "ropers" gloves at the feed store for daily wear, six dollars for a dozen pair. They hard to beat during the spring,summer and early fall for all around use. I switch to the string knit wool gloves during the winter months usually around 10.00 bucks a doz, use the pvc/rubber freezer gloves in wet/sloppy conditions, 4.00 a pair. It's hard to find a pair of leather gloves that fit worth a crap any more, most have horrible fit, uncomfortable seams inside the fingers anymore. I have a hard time finding any that fit, most Xl gloves won't even begin to slide over my hands, too wide.

I like calling those dragon hide gloves, because you can pick up burning coals(or molten metal) comfortably.

or at least my $12 pair can, maybe not the $4 pair

I've give up on leather, unless handling barbed wire or welding. I just buy the string knit white cotton "ropers" gloves at the feed store for daily wear, six dollars for a dozen pair. They hard to beat during the spring,summer and early fall for all around use.. .

Bingo. I buy a pair of $1.79 white cotton gloves with elastic cuffs every week.
I wear them logging year round. Leather is expensive, ill fitting, and really sucks when soaking wet. In winter, I get cold hands right away in the morning, but I just grab the skidder exhaust a few times to get feeling back in my fingers...after I warm my hands up just one time from being cold, I'm fine the rest of the day.
Used to buy the "good" Husqvarna gloves with the velcro strap, but they don't last any longer than the white cotton, and like I said, wet leather blows...so...

I just ordered a pair of Youngstown Anti-vib gloves for $15, that was some of the best money I spent. I love those things. Hopefully they will last.

I just ordered a pair of Youngstown Anti-vib gloves for $15, that was some of the best money I spent. I love those things. Hopefully they will last.

Those are awesome for splitting! I don't wear them for wood handling (stick with cheap ones since it is so hard on them) or cutting (kevlar cut resistant for cutting).

$15 is a great price, can you send a link? I am paying 25-30 a pair.

Gloves? who needs gloves?

acutally i only wear gloves outside, not inside. just purchasd a few pair at harbor freight, those cotton with teh fingers and palm dipped in rubber, for $1.99 each. last about 2 months.

Three month is my maximum.

I just said good bye to my third pair this year. Congratulations on your find.

I firmly believe that no pair of gloves would ever last me a year. If I could find a comfortable pair that would last 3 months while processing firewood, I would be satisfied and by a dozen pairs of them today.

I'm still trying to wear out the Dolmar gloves I got from Cuttin' Scott.

Those tabs sewn onto the wear areas ain't wearing at all, but the stitching is starting to show signs of wear...I'll kill these things yet.
Call me sold.

Found canvass back leather gloves on sale for a buck at Menards the other day. Bought three pair. One for in the tractor for rasslin greasy impliments, one in the truck for when I forget real gloves, and the other pair is already in the trash after pulling irrigation lines.

One dollar leather gloves...that can't even cover the cost of fuel to ship 'em over here can it?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I got a pair of mechanics gloves with the leather pads on the fingers and palms lasted all year and used them for everything from cutting wood to wrangling the air lines on my yard mule. they got used 7 days a week for at least six hours a day and are still in fairly good shape. Though they no longer belong as my friend claimed them the last time we were cutting wood and refuses to give them back. LOL

I like to use a pair of those brown cotton gloves inside a pair of those grey sueded leather work gloves with the wide cuffs.

Nosmo

How do you NOT lose gloves? I've got 49 but when I need a pair, I'll pull out 10 for the left hand and have to dive in the depths of "under the seat" to find a right handed glove. I've thought of idiot strings but that would be something to catch up on the brush. Thought of velcro, but I lose the gloves before I get the velcro. Or I'd just lose both gloves that way.

Nope, no spendy gloves because I'd go broke.

I usually fling them up on the dash so the solar dryer will get them down to being merely dampish by the next day. Then I think they slide off on the drive to the woods and go into a black hole and are now orbiting our planet.

Latest posts

Back