My new MS660R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo6 Sierra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put the order in just over 5 weeks ago and last friday I got the call to go pick her up. So now I am the owner of a MS361R, MS660R and a uspraxis 28 ton Log Machine, I think I have all the equipment I need for a lifetime of cutting wood.

I haven't got the chance to go out cutting with it yet but I plan on going out soon. Here's a few pics for you all:

Thats killer man. Where can you see pics of them for sale. Where do you get them. Do you have pics of the 361R? Did'nt even know they made that. N/m, I remember now, it's just the wrap handle and ex chip guard, right?

One question, will those extended chip deflectors fit a regular 660 sprocket cover? Sorry to hijack.

Last edited:
awesome saw.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Congrats there a HELL of a saw you give it to her and she will keep on takin it I was so excited to get mine too its like a new car I love her so much i was using it to limb a tree the other day wew what a good work out especially over your head but enjoy and BE CAREFUL!!!

Thats killer man. Where can you see pics of them for sale. Where do you get them. Do you have pics of the 361R? Did'nt even know they made that. N/m, I remember now, it's just the wrap handle and ex chip guard, right?

One question, will those extended chip deflectors fit a regular 660 sprocket cover? Sorry to hijack.

No problem, hijack away....

I actually had to call Stihl dealers all over the east coast until I found a shop in New Hampshire, at the recommendation of NHCowboy, that would help me out. To buy this saw with 1/2 wrap & 36" B&C was $1000. With the 3/4 wrap it was $1035. To buy the wrap kit $160. Like I said, I had to wait for it to come in but I love the wrap handle saws, much easier to use IMO.

The 361 I have came with a 1/2 wrap and I bought the kit from a dealer on the west coast for $130. When I knew I wanted a 660 I started looking around for dealers that could get them wrapped up from the factory.

The extended deflector will fit the standard clutch cover but it will look funny. If you search through my posts you should find some pics of my 361R.

Great choice of saws! I like the wide tip ES bar. What length is it? What bar is on the 361R? Today I was working on a neighbor's white oak that was killed by lightning last year. I have blocked and noodle-cut the lower 20 feet and it is now down to 4 feet diameter. He took the upper limbs and branches that he could transport to a splitter and left the rest for me. It is on a hillside which makes everything somewhat more complicated. My main saws on this task are my 066 (36" bar, full skip chain) and 361 (20" bar, carbide chain).

outwest all the dealers are stocking wrapped big dawged saws.

looks like s standerd nose to me on that bar

Yeah Baby, thats what I'm talkin bout!:clap:
You will be smiling from ear to ear when that thing is in the wood.:bowdown::bowdown:
:cheers:

In addition to the handle and the extended chip deflector, they also come stock with the high-output oiler when you get the wrap option. The oiler helps if you pull a longer bar (i.e. 42") as is common out West.

What's a PNW rig like that doin' all the way out on the East Coast? You better send it here before it gets all homesick. You don't want to be around a pouting 660. It could get ugly. Head that one off at the pass and... oh, who am I kidding? I'm just envious, is all!

There is something about those 660s! I have never owned one but I love running them when I get the chance. There is a reason, when a saw has been around for a long time. Congrats!

Good looking saw you got there. Now you need to get it dirty.

Great choice of saws! I like the wide tip ES bar. What length is it? What bar is on the 361R? Today I was working on a neighbor's white oak that was killed by lightning last year. I have blocked and noodle-cut the lower 20 feet and it is now down to 4 feet diameter. He took the upper limbs and branches that he could transport to a splitter and left the rest for me. It is on a hillside which makes everything somewhat more complicated. My main saws on this task are my 066 (36" bar, full skip chain) and 361 (20" bar, carbide chain).

Both my 361 & 660 have the standard tip ES bars on them. The 660 is wearing a 36" and the 361 is wearing a 25". I hear people complain and say the 25" is too big for the 361 but IMO it works just fine. I've had it in 20-25" hardwood and it pulls smooth and fast right through it, the only thing that slows it up is when the chain gets dull.

What's a PNW rig like that doin' all the way out on the East Coast? You better send it here before it gets all homesick. You don't want to be around a pouting 660. It could get ugly. Head that one off at the pass and... oh, who am I kidding? I'm just envious, is all!

I'll send this thing back when you west coasters come over here and pry it out of my cold, dead hands. I seriously don't think I could love a human baby as much as I love this saw.....

Nice saw! Congrats!
And Ya did good with the wrap kit...I looooooooooove the extended clutch cover and the chip deflector...plus you got the roller chain catcher on the big dawgs.
The 660 is a mighty fine saw...tons of power without the weight and bulk of the 880.
The 660 comes into it's own in 36" wood...she will pull like a monster and spit chips like a firehose. You got a full comp chain? I found (in softwood anyway) that half skip or full skip works better in big wood...it gives somewhere for the chips to go as they are dragged out of the kerf, instead of riding the cutters up...just my .02 cents...

Have fun and Saw Safe Brother...:chainsaw:

Back