My New Old Toy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSJchester

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Dad's old Homelite Super XL Automatic, with original 20" bar. I got it back from my nephew, who'd first borrowed it from my Dad and then wandered away with it after he died 3 years ago.

In the interim he destroyed the 2 chains and Oregon bar I'd bought for it 15 years ago and then put it on the shelf because he couldn't find a replacement at WalMart. That was its salvation, because he can usually #### up an anvil and I figured the old saw was toast.

Lo and behold, it looks pretty good and runs great after only minor carb tinkering and some fresh gas.:greenchainsaw:

Picture001.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

I'm ordering another bar & chain, spare clutch drum/sprocket and airfilter for it so I can run it once in a while.

I believe it's from the late 1970's and is one of the later versions of this model, but any more info would be appreciated, including where I might find a proper sset of bucking spikes (dawgs) for it.

Thanks. -WSJ

No suggestions for where to locate a proper set fo dawgs for it?

They surface on E-Pay fairly often. That XL is in good shape. Note it has the quieter muffler as well....rather than the "stack muffler" you find on some. I would say you are pretty close as to the age ....early to mid 70s.

I have only ran 2-3 before that my neighbor got going, and man was I impressed! They are torque!!!!

I have that exact homelite, but it's not nearly as purty. I've been VERY curious as to how old mine is too, it was my uncles saw& he's been dead for over a decade. So asking him when he bought it would be kind of futile at this point. I used to run it quite a bit. I wonder how many cc's it is, it had good torque. Its been sitting for years&i'd like to resurrect it for occasional use. Your muffler looks great compared to mine. I really need a new one, and yours looks like it has a slightly different muffler. I'm too blackberry inept to post a pic of mine.

They surface on E-Pay fairly often. That XL is in good shape. Note it has the quieter muffler as well....rather than the "stack muffler" you find on some. I would say you are pretty close as to the age ....early to mid 70s.

That muffler makes me think its a decade later! I have one here just like it and mine has a Zama carb on it which I thought made it a later one as well.

BUT I could be wrong.

There probably all in all one of the best Homelites made as far as I know. The shear numbers of them sold and there long production run have to say something.

I just picked up two last month in a group of 7 saws I acquired, one blue and a red one. After cleaning the fuel system on the red one it starts on the first pull. I think the saw pictured is a very late '70's to early '80's model given the hand guard.

Last edited:
I have 5 of them, 2 blue one's and 3 red. They are great saw's and as mentioned, torque monsters! I happen to have 1 extra dawg just laying around, no bolts for it, I'm sure a 1/4 bolt of the right length would work fine. PM me your address and for the cost of shipping, its yours.

Randy

I agree with Mark, I think that muffler is very late model.
Whatever year it is, it's in great shape.:chainsaw:

Looks like the same one I bought at the local Ace Hardware 10-12 yrs ago. Muffler was the same as yours. I'm pretty sure MM and DSS are correct.

My Dad's old Homelite Super XL Automatic, with original 20" bar. I got it back from my nephew, who'd first borrowed it from my Dad and then wandered away with it after he died 3 years ago.

In the interim he destroyed the 2 chains and Oregon bar I'd bought for it 15 years ago and then put it on the shelf because he couldn't find a replacement at WalMart. That was its salvation, because he can usually #### up an anvil and I figured the old saw was toast.

Lo and behold, it looks pretty good and runs great after only minor carb tinkering and some fresh gas.:greenchainsaw:

I'm ordering another bar & chain, spare clutch drum/sprocket and airfilter for it so I can run it once in a while.

I believe it's from the late 1970's and is one of the later versions of this model, but any more info would be appreciated, including where I might find a proper sset of bucking spikes (dawgs) for it.

Thanks. -WSJ

Here's some info from Mike Acres site:
Homelite SUPER XL AUTO <----LINK

That muffler makes me think its a decade later! I have one here just like it and mine has a Zama carb on it which I thought made it a later one as well.

BUT I could be wrong.

There probably all in all one of the best Homelites made as far as I know. The shear numbers of them sold and there long production run have to say something.

Not to mention all of the other brands that where modeled after that saw style. Lombardo, Pioneer and others to name a few all looked the saw as those Homelite XL's.

I'll check this weekend. I have a few parts buckets of those saws. I might have a dawg or two.

All: Thanks for the info. I knew it was a good old saw and worth laying hands on if I could.

Randy: I'll take you up on your kind offer - PM on it's way. Thanks.

Just for kicks I weighed it today. With the bar but no chain, some fuel and oil it weighed 18 lbs, 2 oz., which is 2 ounces heavier than my Husqvarna 372 with 20" bar with chain + fuel & oil. It's no lightweight.

BTW it does have a Zama carb which I guess is consistent with the suggestions that it's from the later production years.

Now I need to rummage a bit more and see if I can locate an old (probably early 1960's) Pioneer saw that he had but quit running and went into a box in the basement a lifetime ago.

Thanks again. -Scott

Latest posts

Back