My new sawbuck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
My girlfriend's dad and I built a sawbuck tonight. I have been wanting one for a long time. My dad had three 12' treated 4x4s that he gave me for starters. They were a little twisted, but I was able to get enough straight pieces from them. After work today I went to lowe's and picked up some galvanized 1/2" bolts and nuts. I also bought four treated 2x4s for bracing. I started by notching the 4x4s on 60* angles for the cross pieces. I made three cross pieces with the 4x4s and then tied them together with the 2x4s. I made the sawbuck 5' long so that it would easily fit in the back of my yota. It hold the wood at, the perfect, waist height. I would post pics, but I left the camera at work today. I will get them posted asap. I think it turned out great. I can't wait to take it, along with my saws, to the Heritage Festival this weekend. My buddy and I are going to have a great setup this year. He is bringing at least 5 two-man saws and a bunch of old one-man saws. I will probably take about 7 saws. We already have a 42" poplar, 16' long, there to cut with the saws. We also have a 36" whit oak. We have some small stuff to go in the sawbuck that we made tonight, but I think it will handle up to a 18" log easy. Like I said I will have pics up asap.

stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pics Finally!

Here they are. Better late than never.
sawbuck1.jpg

sawbuck2.jpg

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
looks very good. thanks for the pics.

i was thinkn about fabbing up somthing that could hold up about 3 8foot logs in only a few foot that i had full axcess o the rest of the logs to cut up. i was thinkn the 084 could cout through 3 at time, that would save alot of time over buckn on the mtn

stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice!

Like that truck too!

Thanks! I have been wanting to build one for a long time and then dad gave me some free lumber. The truck in the background is my 86 yota pickup. It's my first truck and is now a project truck. As soon as the pollen clears up I am going to finish the body work I started and paint the truck white. I has a new engine with a weber carb and electric fan. Soon to come will be a solid axle conversion from trail gear, but that's a whole nother hobby of mine.

stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
looks very good. thanks for the pics.

i was thinkn about fabbing up somthing that could hold up about 3 8foot logs in only a few foot that i had full axcess o the rest of the logs to cut up. i was thinkn the 084 could cout through 3 at time, that would save alot of time over buckn on the mtn

Thanks! Mine is five foot long and is 1.5' wide on the inside where the logs rest. I was afraid that it would be too heavy to move around, but two people could easily load it in my pickup.

stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice woodworking skills.

Thanks! All I had was skill saw, couple of sawhorses, ball pien hammer, chainsaw, and a cordless drill. I also had my girlfriend's dad as a supervisor. He drank beer and held the wood while I was cutting. I didn't even have a wood chisel to take out the wood between the cuts to make the notches. I ended up using a screwdriver.

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sawbuck

So that's what you call that jig.I never new the name.Thanks for that! Your craftsmanship is great!Ever think of a woodworking career? Stinkbait, do you think you could post a drawing for us, with dimensions to copy?Do you know the saying,When you copy someone, it is the biggest form of flattery!
Again Good Job!
Lawrence

Last edited:
stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
So that's what you call that jig.I never new the name.Thanks for that! Your craftsmanship is great!Ever think of a woodworking career?Stinkbait, do you think you post a drawing for us with dimensions to copy?Do you the saying,When you copy someone it is the biggest form of flattery!
Again Good Job!
Lawrence

I am glad someone asked. I actually did an AutoCAD drawing yesterday morning before I built it last night. If I can figure a way to post a PDF I will do that. That way everyone that wants a copy can print it out to scale. I will see what I can do in the morning. I am a CAD Technician and have access to a lot of software at work. I am sure I can do something. I am not saying that my design is the best, but anyone is welcome to copy it.

stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Drawing

Here is a .jpg of the the drawing I done before I built the sawbuck. The only difference between this one and mine is that I decided not to cut the 4x4 on an angle at the top where the log rest. I figured they would be stronger without the taper. This image is not to scale, but I did put all the neccessary dimensions on the drawing to build it. Feel free to use it.
sawbuckdrawing.jpg

FATGUY

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here is a .jpg of the the drawing I done before I built the sawbuck. The only difference between this one and mine is that I decided not to cut the 4x4 on an angle at the top where the log rest. I figured they would be stronger without the taper. This image is not to scale, but I did put all the neccessary dimensions on the drawing to build it. Feel free to use it.
sawbuckdrawing.jpg

you're very well trained in orthographic projections, what do you do for a living?

stinkbait

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
you're very well trained in orthographic projections, what do you do for a living?

I took drafting for 5 semesters in high school, took drafting at my local community college, and have been working as a CAD Technician for B & B Consultants for 4 years. There is at least one error in the drawing that I found this morning after posting.

Last edited:

Latest posts