My new Stihl 260 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

first tme i ran a 026 very nice saw im a husky guy have a 346 5100 but gotta say nice saw good luck pete

First Post!

I'm in the process of acquiring a used 260 Pro which has a 20" bar on it. My preference is a 16" bar and I'll be making that change soon, but what are the pros and cons of .325 vs 3/8" (.375) chain. (I realize if I switch to 3/8" I'll have to change the sprocket.)

BTW, this saw is replacing a Husky. It was just too problematic. IMHO a chain saw that isn't dependable isn't worth having.

You will also have to change the bar. The difference between the two sizes 3/8" and .325 is the cutting speed.

I prefer the .325 but at my age I'm in no hurry while cutting wood. My 260 cuts fast enough and completely through a log with the .325.

Nosmo

First Post!

what are the pros and cons of .325 vs 3/8" (.375) chain. (I realize if I switch to 3/8" I'll have to change the sprocket.)

I just went through this same thing and ended up with the .325.
The reason most change is because they have another saw that is already 3/8" sprocket/chain therefore, their file is the same on all. As for the speed, that argument goes round and round. In the end, i was told that a .325 seems to be a smoother cut, less bouncy in the cut, and unless you are really going through alot of stumps or racing, the .325 is going to be better all around (limbing, trimming, & stumps) (full chisel is the way to go too), at least that was the general consensus. This has been discussed ad infinitum so I thought I'd give you a summary of what I've come to know.

Again, others will say something different, but that's why we go round and round. One other thing to take into consideration is, what size file do you have now? Any other chains that will work now, any other saws that are that same size? In the end, there is a reason why they come with the .325 on them. I agree with the 16" bar too by the way - nice size, good balance.

Last edited:
I already had a.325 chain on my MS250C so I went ahead and got .325 on the MS 260. Went ahead and got an 18" bar and a 16" on the 260.

All my chains take the same size file 3/16".

Nosmo

Love my 260. Been using them since they were the 026. Great limbing saw and can be very nice in the tree when I have wood too big for the 200T, 14" bar but the 361, 20" bar would be overkill. I have a 16" bar on my 260 as well.

Hate the flippy caps on all new Stihls. Worst thing they ever came out with.

Good Thread , should be Safe to add to the discussion. Was intent on picking up a Husky 455 then saw that it was Plastic rather than Metal Crank Case . I think the Local Husky / Stil Dealer has Sold me on a MS 260 Pro . I might even look at a 361 . My Old tried and proven Pioneer 11-60 had a 20 Bar and has earned some retirement time lol . Great Forum Guys learning something new it visit , something new for a Old-Timer lol !

Good Thread , should be Safe to add to the discussion. Was intent on picking up a Husky 455 then saw that it was Plastic rather than Metal Crank Case . I think the Local Husky / Stil Dealer has Sold me on a MS 260 Pro . I might even look at a 361 . My Old tried and proven Pioneer 11-60 had a 20 Bar and has earned some retirement time lol . Great Forum Guys learning something new it visit , something new for a Old-Timer lol !

this is a old thread and 361 is and old saw the new one is a 362 tom trees

this is a old thread and 361 is and old saw the new one is a 362 tom trees

Heck my local Dealer is still running numbers for this Season from the Manufacturer Rep . I'll probably eyeball both of the Saws one more time prior to deciding on the xtra $100.00 . According to the Dealer the 260 Pro will handle the 18" Bars no problem , I don't want it lugging though .

Heck my local Dealer is still running numbers for this Season from the Manufacturer Rep . I'll probably eyeball both of the Saws one more time prior to deciding on the xtra $100.00 . According to the Dealer the 260 Pro will handle the 18" Bars no problem , I don't want it lugging though .

yes the 026 we run with 18" bars i have a 361 and 362 we run 24s on them tom trees

An 18" .325 chain and bar will not lug the MS 260 Pro. It is better yet (for me) to use a 16" bar and chain and if necessary change to my 18" set up.

Yes the 362 replaces the 361. I was over at my dealers a couple weeks or so ago. They were offering 10% discount on any Stihl products. Not bars and chains but Saws, Tillers etc. They had some 361 on the shelves.

Seems I read a post recently claiming the 361 is the better of the two.

Nosmo

yes the 026 we run with 18" bars i have a 361 and 362 we run 24s on them tom trees

Thanx Guys ! Between you and Nosmo I think I will discuss further with my Dealer . I would not won't to kick my ass later for not spending a little more now. My Old Pioneers 11-60 and P-20 ran 20" and 16" Roller Tip with No Problems . I realize were talking 58 cc. & 51 cc. compared to Stil 50 cc.
I would think with the new saws you must have better HP , but not sure of the Torgue Factor of the 60's Vintage and today. I'll have to review the Bore and Stroke Comparisons. Where is Pioneer600 Guy when you need him lol . Anyways I'am happy I found this Site with all you Saw Guru's . I have cut a lot of 18" - 20" + Maple back in my day as a Gentleman Farmer , but now a days just enough for the Camp and Home Work Shops Stoves with Hip Replacement Scheduled for May. Never too Old to learn more . If any of you Boys are Real Bored let me know what you would Buy between the Two Saws . As I said the Dealer was just getting in Spec's and Pricing and Discounts on the New Line . He never Mentioned the 362 , perhaps he wants to unload all the Older Models ..Food for Thought .... Thanks again .

Another thing worth considering is buying a different sprocket for your saw. It probably has a 7 pin. I think an 8 pin is 4 to 5 dollars and can make a difference espically with the 16'' bar. I'd stick with the 7 on an 18'' bar. Good luck with that saw! JJuday.

Another thing worth considering is buying a different sprocket for your saw. It probably has a 7 pin. I think an 8 pin is 4 to 5 dollars and can make a difference espically with the 16'' bar. I'd stick with the 7 on an 18'' bar. Good luck with that saw! JJuday.

Will do JJ , Thanks to this forum I have a lot of consideration prior to purchase , which is a Great Thing. Well of to Camp have a few Trees (Maple) to cut down (Wind Damage) with my Sons Husky lol , he always offers it when my Old Pioneers are down Roflmbo !

I've got a really nice 038 AV Magnum 2 that I purchased new a number of years ago. It's been an outstanding saw.

However, as I've gotten older the weight of a chainsaw has become more important to me. The 260 Pro I just bought weighs 10.6 lbs and puts out 3.2 HP. That 038 weighs 15.0 lbs, but puts out 4.8 HP.

For some things the 038 is clearly the better choice, but when I think about how often I need the extra power compared with how often I'd rather not have the extra weight, I decided to get the 260 Pro.

BTW, I bought my 260 Pro used and it came with a 20" bar. I will change that to a 16"bar, but it seems Stihl thinks it will do just fine with a 20" bar.

BTW, I bought my 260 Pro used and it came with a 20" bar. I will change that to a 16"bar, but it seems Stihl thinks it will do just fine with a 20" bar.

You wouldn't have any trouble running a 20-inch .325 pitch B&C on the 260 in softer wood like spruce, pine, fir or aspen, for example. But in hardwood it's too much bar, IMO, and you'll find yourself easing off in the cut to avoid bogging down. I run my 026 with a 16-inch 3/8 pitch B&C and it's perfect that way. And three of my four saws run the 3/8 pitch (more aggressive cut than .325), so I don't need three different sizes of files for chain sharpening. Only the 011 takes a different pitch chain in my 4-saw lineup (the 3/8 low profile = smaller file than standard 3/8).

If you do a muffler mod on your 260 (which also requires retuning the H and L screws), you'll be able to pull a 20-inch through hardwood OK. Over in the Chainsaw Forum there is a thread stickied to the top about how to do a muff mod. The newer saws (MS series) have mufflers with very small/restrictive openings, courtesy of tightening EPA admissions standards, and the saws really wake up with those muffler exhaust openings are enlarged.

If it's still under warranty, a muff mod will void the warranty.

Last edited:
I've got a really nice 038 AV Magnum 2 that I purchased new a number of years ago. It's been an outstanding saw.

However, as I've gotten older the weight of a chainsaw has become more important to me. The 260 Pro I just bought weighs 10.6 lbs and puts out 3.2 HP. That 038 weighs 15.0 lbs, but puts out 4.8 HP.

For some things the 038 is clearly the better choice, but when I think about how often I need the extra power compared with how often I'd rather not have the extra weight, I decided to get the 260 Pro.

15lbs for just the power head maybe, I weighed mine not too long ago with 20''b&c and full of fluids on a good spring scales and it pegged 21lbs! So did the 041 AV. The 260 pro with 16'' b&c and full of fluids hit 16lbs. You don't wanna know what the 084 oinked out at!!! My back hurt just seeing the results! JJuday.

15lbs for just the power head maybe, I weighed mine not too long ago with 20''b&c and full of fluids on a good spring scales and it pegged 21lbs! So did the 041 AV. The 260 pro with 16'' b&c and full of fluids hit 16lbs. You don't wanna know what the 084 oinked out at!!! My back hurt just seeing the results! JJuday.

and 084 no bad you should climb with one tom trees:newbie:

I think that you would regret using an 8-pin sprocket on a 260. You can get some more speed, but you will lose the power. It might be OK for limbing.

Latest posts

Back