My new Stihl 260 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an MS260 but it doesn't have the PRO decal on it. is there a differance other than not having a decal? oh yea, no deco either!! but is the P&C the same?

i am deffinately a stihl man,but i just picked a new 2156(which is very nice,and for sale),and have ran a 346xp for several hours. i am not gonna call anyones stuff junk. i will say in my opinion,stihl has no equal in the pro market.

I have run huskies for a couple of years year around in all conditions....let's just say its a good thing I'm handy with the tools. I'm so impressed by the one and so disappointed with the other that I'm now at that point where I'm willing to call them relative junk.

The quality of support around here is equally embarassing.

I'm sure I'd be in better humor if I had only run them for several hours or had nothing to compare them to. There is no doubt they are a pro saw, but what a step down. I would that husky be a better crafted saw on account of what they have to offer otherwise.

Welcome to A.S. you made a fine choice in the 260 PRO. I have one set up with a 16" bar and 3/8" chain, and my buddy just bought one 2 weeks ago and set his up with a 16" bar and .325 chain. His is still breaking his in.

Make sure you read your owners manual for brake in procedures, I want to say you don't run the saw at WOT for a certain period of time, can't remember how long. The more tanks of gas you get to run thru it the more power it seem's to develop. It took my saw about 15 tanks to really get it feeling nice.

Congratulations on the new saw , Remember to were your PPE while cutting , stay safe.

Beefie

Lot of brand wars going on here but I have both the MS260 Pro and the 346XP and I like 'em both... a lot .

To the OP, I see a 70cc saw in your future as well! :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
i say put er' in the wood,and drop the hammer! i break my saws in exactly how i run them,WOT. if they won't take it when they are new,the never will. you may want to rum them a tad rich for the first few tanks.

Good choice for a PRO 50cc saw. You'll love it.

As the back wears, one needs a lighter but Stihl torguey saw. Over the years the 044, 028 has been replaced by a now 8 year old MS260
(forget the MS260 PRO--same saw just with decompress and oil adjust male t___s). It's been muffler modded, with NO, repeat, NO mechanical problems in hard and too often stupid use, like dropping it 20 feet into water.

Forget the Forest Gumps dissing the "flippy caps. ( Hey : where did this "gay" thing come from ? They're just a tool. We got some projection dysfunctionality ? :monkey:)

Those self-sealing, non tool caps are better than silicone implants. You only make the mistake once of not inserting them the correct way. WHEN USED CORRECTLY they're removable with mittens ( yes, Msr. Fisher, we do wear them in below zero cutting. :buttkick:)

No need to get out the scrench. Nicely engineered design for filter cleaning or plug removal. The Husky 346 series is a great saw---tricky without technique. And, they have reliability problems, particularly the newer models.

Yes, the 260/026 is an older design. It does the job.....well. Go to it.:clap:

JMNSHO

The 260 is a very high quality saw. I have one of these too. I must say I don't pay much attention to this saw, but that is a good thing! That means it starts right up and runs well, so I have never needed to give it any "attention"!

You might want to get the Stihl "Chain Saw Safety, Operation & Maintenance" DVD here...
http://www.stihldealer.net/videolibrary/

This will show you how to safely operate chainsaws, properly sharpen the chains, etc.

Read the directions as to starting.

Also it is worth it to get the Stihl HP Ultra synthetic 2-Cycle Engine Oil you add to the gas. (Most expensive kind, but worth every penny because it keeps the engine clean - prevents "carbon" build-up.)
http://www.stihlusa.com/lubricants/twocycleoil.html#ultra

If you don't use that synthetic 2-Cycle engine oil and get carbon build up, then you can later add Seafoam to the gas (to decarbon), but either way you pay.

(I'm cheap and learned the hard way!)

congrats on the new saw,an exc. choice! 260 pro is THE lightest,most nimble saw in the class. not the most powerful,but definately the lightest. had you bought a 346xp,you would have been rewarded with the following:
* it is the most powerful in class,@3.5-3.7 hp,depending who you talk to.

*it is also quite porky @ 11.2lbs
*it has absolutely junk controls that break easily,unless a women runs it
*the plastic is cheap and flimsy,it is very poor quality
*it has a 1970's dated outboard clutch,which makes service a real pain
*it will have no parts availability in 10-15yrs
*it will also have zero resale in 20yrs.,026's in good cond. still bring 300.00 on a regular basis.
*husky wishes it had something as innovative as those flippy caps,you can fuel & oil a stihl,before you can even find a scrench to get the caps off that husky
*it would also have a cat muffler that is no good,some say to change it out,just what i want to do. put a 50.00 muffler on an already pricey saw.
*so,i my opinion 2 good choices made here,you bought a 260pro,you didn't buy a 346xp,which everyone says is so great. and yes,i have spent a fair amount of time on both saws, i'll take my 260pro any day of the week, old design or not.

I think you have completely lost your mind.

you'll love the 260, iknow cause i love mine. its light and powerfull not to mention reliable.

congrats on the new saw,an exc. choice! 260 pro is THE lightest,most nimble saw in the class. not the most powerful,but definately the lightest. had you bought a 346xp,you would have been rewarded with the following:

*it is also quite porky @ 11.2lbs Light unless you are a three year old girl
*it has absolutely junk controls that break easily,unless a women runs itAgreed
*the plastic is cheap and flimsy,it is very poor qualityEvery Saw manufacturer uses cheap flimsy plastic
*it has a 1970's dated outboard clutch,which makes service a real painIf it ain't broke don't fix it
*it will have no parts availability in 10-15yrsAre you Nostradamus?
*it will also have zero resale in 20yrs.,026's in good cond. still bring 300.00 on a regular basis.Are you Nostradamus?
*husky wishes it had something as innovative as those flippy caps,you can fuel & oil a stihl,before you can even find a scrench to get the caps off that huskyOnly a three year old girl needs a scrench to take a cap off. I prefer my fingers myself.
*it would also have a cat muffler that is no good,some say to change it out,just what i want to do. put a 50.00 muffler on an already pricey saw.Mine came with a non-cat muffler
*so,i my opinion 2 good choices made here,you bought a 260pro,you didn't buy a 346xp,which everyone says is so great. and yes,i have spent a fair amount of time on both saws, i'll take my 260pro any day of the week, old design or not.
Completely biased opinion

I've never ran a ms 260 and am sure it's a fine saw. You just threw the 346 under the bus like its a piece of Chinese Wal-mart junk. You're a Stihl head which is fine but there a plenty of great saws out there that don't come with that expensive orange and white paint.

Completely biased opinion

I've never ran a ms 260 and am sure it's a fine saw. You just threw the 346 under the bus like its a piece of Chinese Wal-mart junk. You're a Stihl head which is fine but there a plenty of great saws out there that don't come with that expensive orange and white paint.
and if you read my posts i clealy state that it is my opinion. there is fact in that post also!

all hog wash!

*it will also have zero resale in 20yrs.,026's in good cond. still bring 300.00 on a regular basis.
*husky wishes it had something as innovative as those flippy caps,you can fuel & oil a stihl,before you can even find a scrench to get the caps off that husky
*it would also have a cat muffler that is no good,some say to change it out,just what i want to do. put a 50.00 muffler on an already pricey saw.

you better check your facts before you spout off.I use my 346 xp commercially as well as several other guys I know.no one has had any problems with the controls breaking.

Stihl is notorious for discontinuing parts.

My dealer has a 346xp without a cat muffler as we speak. as well as several other
dealers in the area.

I don't need a scrench to get my caps off.

I like outboard clucthes.less crap gets caked up behind them and the help hold the bar while changing the chain,

That made me want to say....OOOORAH! :chainsaw: :clap:

look, i am not gonna argue about this. this is a forum where we all are able to express our opinion,fact to some,opinion to others. i simply stated some things about a 346xp as i see them,nothing more.if you have a 346,and like it great,if you own a 260pro and like it great. now,that being said,in my opinion, there is reason that STIHL IS THE #1 SELLING CHAINSAW WORLD WIDE! lol

look, i am not gonna argue about this. this is a forum where we all are able to express our opinion,fact to some,opinion to others. i simply stated some things about a 346xp as i see them,nothing more.if you have a 346,and like it great,if you own a 260pro and like it great. now,that being said,in my opinion, there is reason that STIHL IS THE #1 SELLING CHAINSAW WORLD WIDE! lol

And if you don't own a 346 xp great, but don't come on here trashing it.

Latest posts

Back