My next removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbull

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Haven't taken this tree down yet, still figuring the estimate. It's a Boxelder between two houses I'm seriously considering an aerial lift for this tree. Does anyone have any experience using the portable man-lifts, aerial work platforms, etc.?

Last edited:
So how bout the tree itself. My concern is not only climbing this tree, but having to rig off itself. Hence the need for a lift. And, no, I don't have access to a bucket, nor does a bucket have access to the tree.

I see rot and the general shape of the tree, but I can't see the broader picture. Need more picts like the last one. Does it go over the deck or more towards the top of the roof? How far over the house drop? Any crane possibilities?

Yes, I use both. I thought about the powered pole saw as well, but don't own one. I suppose I might be able to rent one though, which would considerably cheaper than a lift. Fortunately, almost all of this tree is accessible from the roof and the owner gave permission to get up there.

Yeah, yeah, I know Butch!! I took these pics so I could do just that. Take it down in my head, and give the customer an accurate bid. My original thought was the powered pruner and I'll probably stick with that route. Just curious to see what you guys would do. Would you climb it Butch?

bull, its kinda hard to tell for sure by looking at the photos, but i am thinking the same thing as the old monkey- lower the boom! have you worked w/ a crane before? you might look into it. seems like you may be able to lift that thing outta there in 3 or 4 pieces. go for it man. i'm sure there are people here and in your area that can point you in the right direction.

I'd go with a crane. If you can get the tower within 60' of the tree you could get by with a smallish boom truck, and like they said 4-5 picks and your done.Depending how much sound wood there is on the main stem, and how those sprout unions look it could be climbed maybe, but the sure bet is on the crane. :umpkin:

i think dans got it right, get what you can from the roof, cut it up, then get in it and work it down. small cuts, cut firewood length till you have clearance to drop logs. that being said i dont think i'd get in that tree

look at pic#387. theres too much out/up there. just crane it. avoid tons of pole work. you should be able to put that tree on the front lawn or driveway in a couple hours or less. looks like youll need a big stick but...

Before I had my daughter I'd climb that thing and worse. Now I can't risk Haley's Dad on something foolish like that. Go with the crane.

Old Monkey said:
Before I had my daughter I'd climb that thing and worse. Now I can't risk Haley's Dad on something foolish like that. Go with the crane.

But there's something I don't get with that. How do you chain it up to the crane without climbing the tree?

Over here we are not allowed to ride the hook or use any ropes, must be the chains of the crane that connect to the tree, so from my perspective a crane is useless if your concern is climbing the tree.

Sort of hard to tell without seeing it but if a crane isnt a go I would ratchet strap the trunk to keep it together, pad up the house roof, power prune the long stuff then climb and chog the rest with spurs touching the tree like an angel kissing dew drops. You can do alot with a powerpruner.

depends how much you need the money,its maybe fairly solid who knows

From what I can see, the tree looks climbable.

But any time you can use a crane and sthil be making money, that's always good.

Back