My random new criteria for buying cheap bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guys that cut my timber used the Husqvarna chainsaw oil,, and they use Husky saws,,

This saw did not use much oil,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL!!

saw.jpg

BUT, it had 3 inch wide teeth,, no oil needed,,,

I use a large pancake syrup bottle with the pull cap like on a dish detergent bottle. Gas or oil doesn't bother the plastic, and 26 ounces is easy to carry where you are cutting and enough for a while. The opaque bottle allows you to see the level of oil in the bottle. I have never had one leak if the cap is snapped down, even if the bottle is dropped.

I buy the cheap Poulan crap at Walmart, and pour it into my dad's 40 year old plastic Homelite bar/chain oil container with the nipple on top.That's what he always used, and I ended up with it around 20 years ago. Basically like a gear oil jug. Works great!

View attachment 962811 Went looking for this photo, and found a couple of other threads on the topic. Clearly, not a new problem.

I am a strong believer in containers being properly labeled. After trying a few things, I found that lacquer thinner would remove the labels on old Tide jugs, so that I could re-mark them.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/bar-oil-jug.340079/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-do-you-keep-your-bar-oil-in.303031/

Philbert
Would not a simple piece of duct tape, or 2" masking tape suffice.?? What is the need for erasing a label, with a chemical, to write on the jug,....BAR OIL.

Would not a simple piece of duct tape, or 2" masking tape suffice.?? What is the need for erasing a label, with a chemical, to write on the jug,....BAR OIL.
Clearer. More durable. Eliminates confusion. To see if I could. Looks nicer. Lots of reasons.

Getting tape to stick to an oily, plastic jug could be a challenge. Keeping the markings on tape readable would be another.

When you work by yourself you can rely on memory or habit. When you work with others, it is important to be clear. Once I figured out what worked it was pretty easy, so I shared that with others on this site. It is also easy to mark the large, white space with other info, e.g. jugs of thinned or winter weight bar oil.

If I was looking for the easiest solution, I would just leave it in the jug it came in.

Philbert

The fix is in for those: https://gasspouts.com

I've bought a pile of these over the past 4 years. Some of my real old gas cans these won't fit, but they fit all my 30+ year old Wedco cans. They fit the new cans, too, and come with a vent you can install. Boy does that make a world of difference!!
I bought into these several years ago.
But then I get pissed when you think you have to pay $20+ for a gas can thats worth $3 and then you have to spend another $11 to get the gas to come out.
And then you have to buy the gas w/o the 'good stuff' in it at a premium price.
I think sanity has left the room a long time ago.
Bobmo

Back