my Stihl 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work. I have had success with this repair as well. Excellent spark at low rpm. I'd be interested to see pictures of your capacitor placement.

Nice work. I have had success with this repair as well. Excellent spark at low rpm. I'd be interested to see pictures of your capacitor placement.

i'll take some pics if i take it apart again. i just put it where the old capacitor was. i had to grind away a couple of tabs in the case with a dremel. then i pushed the WIMA capacitor in there (held in tight by the case), and put some silicon underneath. the capacitor electrodes were facing outwards.

Dan, I found a picture from mine. I also fashioned a retainer for the capacitor.

DSC04271_zps77aaf9a2.jpg

I've got one of these lying around, waiting for some TLC. Good to see someone still getting good use from them.

That is a very nice looking saw. Still have my dads, it is what I started cutting firewood with. They might be a little heavy by today's standards, but a pleasure to run.

I parked my 031 because I was having a lot of trouble getting it to start after it was warm. Started fine when it was cold, do you guys think the condenser may be my problem also?

I parked my 031 because I was having a lot of trouble getting it to start after it was warm. Started fine when it was cold, do you guys think the condenser may be my problem also?

That would be my guess. Heat affects them at first, resulting in poor, intermittent spark. Which makes them run rough hot at first, before eventually failing. The beauty of this fix is that it will only cost you a dollar or two to try :)

Hard to tell, but most likely if your fuel delivery is proper. Set up correctly this repair will make an 031 fire up half way through a slow-ish pull.

Latest posts

Back