My swedish candle~learned from here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys keep feeding these? Or do they just burn the log? Any pictures of one being made? Pretty cool. Thanks

There's 2 methods, as seen in the posts.
One is to make 2 perpendicular cuts from the top and stop them somewhere short of the bottom.
The other is to bore-cut the center/core of the log with 4 cuts and then bore in from the side to release the base of that core and create air channels for the fire. I stuffed the noodles from the bore cut back into the log and let it dry on it's side for a few months. Then I just lit the noodles and away it went.

Last edited:
I haven;t burned any of these yet. I made a couple in my firewood kiln. I just haven't had time to light them off. I'm going to try to sell them to store here in the St. Louis area. I had a couple women tell me they would pay $10-15 a piece for them. We'll see.

Scott

Remember, in Scandihoovian.

Ve used da saw gas as "accelerant". In der PNW, saw gas is commonly used fer dat purpose.

I called a couple hours later. He said it vas glowing and still standing oop. I vill be searching my little bit of land looking fer suitable candle making fiber.

By der way, dey are also known as Chaser Smudgepots.

these are cool. the first thing that came to me was make about 12 of them and line the sidewalk for halloween.

my friend brought something similar over in the summer, i think he paid 25$ for it. it was for keeping skeeters away. the middle was plunge cut, then a mouth shape was cut at the bottom that released the plunge cut. a couple of eye shapes were cut above the mouth of course. this wood needed to be real dry of course. the we sprayed it with a hose til it was good and wet. stuff the middle with newspaper, light and watch the skeeters run when the billowing smoke poured out.:blob2:
kev1n

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I made a few of these from cherry this Spring and burned them this Fall. Looks pretty cool at night. Got this pic just as it popped.

Wampum, did you try the one I made from Sassafrass at your gtg?

attachment.php

They are fun to make and fun to burn

I learned about these while snowmobiling in Canada. They just look for an old pine stump, cut down through it like pizza slices, and throw a frying pan on the top (right on the wood - no grill required) and cook on it. I have had a blast making them, and anyone I give them to loves them. You can try to explain what they are like, but nobody "gets it" until they burn one for themselves.

I use norway pine or jack pine, 10" - 16" in diameter and about 20" long. Cut 3 longitudinal slices down to about 4" from the bottom to make 6 pizza slices. Throw in a little charcoal lighter fluid to light it and watch it burn (for a couple of hours).

View attachment 208310View attachment 208309View attachment 208310View attachment 208312

Last edited:
Been wanting to try this for a while, finally went out and found a couple of dead leftovers on an old log landing.

Toughest part was cutting the slots, even with the 441 singing through it, it was throwing dust instead of chips. May try noodling through the next peice, see if there is any difference.

Took me forever and a torch to get it started. It smoked like a freight train for nearly an hour, which was neat in a way, as it even "puffed" like an old steam train.

Not sure why it was so difficult to get going, maybe I left too much sawdust in the center though.

It does make a wonderful fire, here it is after a couple of hours.

5a9eb155.jpg

I've done several of those this summer. Kids love 'em. I've gotten logs big enough to burn almost all night.
I may do some for Halloween this year. May have to fire up the ol' Homelite SXLAO and run around the neighborhood this year.

Can this be used for stump removal..?
I have a couple of 30-40" stumps in the garden that I've been planning to cut with an old chain and 25" bar and split, but burning them up from the inside would be easier! :)

Thanks,
It should be easy to remove the soil and bark from the bottom and do a plunge cut for ventilation. It will be one hell of a candle!

Been wanting to try this for a while, finally went out and found a couple of dead leftovers on an old log landing.

Toughest part was cutting the slots, even with the 441 singing through it, it was throwing dust instead of chips. May try noodling through the next peice, see if there is any difference.

Took me forever and a torch to get it started. It smoked like a freight train for nearly an hour, which was neat in a way, as it even "puffed" like an old steam train.

Not sure why it was so difficult to get going, maybe I left too much sawdust in the center though.

It does make a wonderful fire, here it is after a couple of hours.

5a9eb155.jpg

That's going to happen when you attempt to cut across the top of the grain (think brush bristles standing up), there's not a lot for the saw to bite into. I've had better success doing multiple cuts with a shorter bar, so that I can tilt the saw to generate more 'bite'.

Ahh, I see.

Was afraid of going too deep if I got crooked, and not having enough left on the bottom, so cut pretty much straight down it.

Will try that on the next one, break out the 500 with its 16" bar.

Thanks for the tip. :msp_smile:

Am thinking of stockpiling a couple of these, as they would be great for the night-time fishing trips and camping of course. Will have to find out how to get them to light easier, as it was kinda embarassing having my buddy laugh at me for using half a tank of propane to get it to light.

"Why don't you just stick a candle on top of it....." :angry:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Back