My ultimate 3 saw plan...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im on my way to my own personal Zen. Poulan 3000 (damn good little saw), 026 Pro, 028Super, MS361, 044, 064AV. I now need a 066/660, and that will happen!

For the 260, I'm thinking of changing over the bar/chain to 3/8", as I'm sure the muffler mod will be able to handle it. Then, all my saws will be 3/8"x.050".

A dual port is in the near future for my 660. Can I put the chain catcher roller deal (like on the 361 kit) between the dawgs on the 660? I'd hate to screw up a 36" or even a 25" chain on that aluminum catcher if I ever do throw one. I picked up an 8 tooth for the 25" bar, I'll do a little comparison vs. the 7 tooth when I get a chance to bury it. I will probably do the HO oiler too, since I plan on milling sometime down the road.

As far as the 361 goes, I NEED to muffler mod it. Probably have someone do it, its cheaper than having to buy the brazing stuff and parts to do it myself. I also want to do the 441 bar stud upgrade.

Looking at the pic of the 361 makes me think of all the people who ask me why my bar is upside down :bang:

As far as adding more saws, I think that is farther down the road. If I get into this milling hard core, I may pick up an old 084 and fix er up. I would love to do a project, all these saws were bought new, I want one that I got running myself. Those 028 Supers are very, very tempting too. My dad has one, its a great saw.

Last edited:
Bar and chain interchangability, single parts source, proven track record, jobs created by manufacture in the USA, more servicing dealers than any other brand, ease of modification, so on and so forth...

The 260 is a fine choice.

Right, so you can run that 36" bar on the 026 and the 16" on the 660?:dizzy: Sorry, not trying to be a smart arse, but I question the advantages of bar interchangability. If you need a 16", run the 026. If you need a 36", run the 066. Or am I missing something?

I'd also tend to agree with Troll...I'd go for a non-Stihl in the small saw.

Right, so you can run that 36" bar on the 026 and the 16" on the 660?:dizzy: Sorry, not trying to be a smart arse, but I question the advantages of bar interchangability. If you need a 16", run the 026. If you need a 36", run the 066. Or am I missing something?

I'd also tend to agree with Troll...I'd go for a non-Stihl in the small saw.

LOL, a 36" on the 026? I want some of that stuff ya'll are smokin':smoking: Tzed was speaking on the theory of using/having the ability to swap bars if needed. If all your saws are Stihl, same pitch, etc., you can use most of your bars. He has a 20" on the 361, say he wants to put it on the 026 for limbing/reach, boooyah, a light limber.

A non-Stihl for a small saw? LOL, :smoking: again..........

For the 260, I'm thinking of changing over the bar/chain to 3/8", as I'm sure the muffler mod will be able to handle it. Then, all my saws will be 3/8"x.050".

A dual port is in the near future for my 660. Can I put the chain catcher roller deal (like on the 361 kit) between the dawgs on the 660? I'd hate to screw up a 36" or even a 25" chain on that aluminum catcher if I ever do throw one. I picked up an 8 tooth for the 25" bar, I'll do a little comparison vs. the 7 tooth when I get a chance to bury it. I will probably do the HO oiler too, since I plan on milling sometime down the road.

As far as the 361 goes, I NEED to muffler mod it. Probably have someone do it, its cheaper than having to buy the brazing stuff and parts to do it myself. I also want to do the 441 bar stud upgrade.

Looking at the pic of the 361 makes me think of all the people who ask me why my bar is upside down :bang:

As far as adding more saws, I think that is farther down the road. If I get into this milling hard core, I may pick up an old 084 and fix er up. I would love to do a project, all these saws were bought new, I want one that I got running myself. Those 028 Supers are very, very tempting too. My dad has one, its a great saw.

The 026 can handle 3/8 great, a muff mod even better.

Yes, you can add a chain catcher to the 660. Part # 1122 650 7700

Get the pipe and screen for your 361 and send the muff to me, easy to do. You may want to let your dealer set the carb after this mod if you don't feel confindent about adjusting the carb, it's easy to. The lake muff mod really wakes those little devils up.

Last edited:
Shouldn't the 3 saw plan include a top handle saw?

Not when I'm 260 lbs and have absolutely no plans getting my big butt in a tree! I keep my feet planted firmly on terra firma as much as possible. :cheers:

Last edited:
The 026 can handle 3/8 great, a muff mod even better.

Yes, you can add a chain catcher to the 660. Part # 1122 650 7700

Get the pipe and screen for your 361 and send the muff to me, easy to do. You may want to let your dealer set the carb after this mod if you don't feel confindent about adjusting the carb, it's easy to. The lake muff mod really wakes those little devils up.

Alright, thanks! I'll probably order the catcher and DP cover next week.

I guess thats why I'm just not too impressed with my 361, ok, I said it. Its a great saw, sure, but I just love the way that 260 runs! I have no problem with tuning the saw. I picked up a tach from Amicks and have muff modded two other saws other than my 260. The drywall screw is my friend, hehe. So all is good there.

You're missing one saw, a MS180. Its so much lighter than even the 260 its not even funny. I gave mine a muffler mod and a different carb and its one fast little limbing saw.

Yeah for most cutting around here a 180-14", 260-16" and 361-20" would be the most useful 3 saw plan.

LOL, a 36" on the 026? I want some of that stuff ya'll are smokin':smoking: Tzed was speaking on the theory of using/having the ability to swap bars if needed. If all your saws are Stihl, same pitch, etc., you can use most of your bars. He has a 20" on the 361, say he wants to put it on the 026 for limbing/reach, boooyah, a light limber.

A non-Stihl for a small saw? LOL, :smoking: again..........

2K, you're doing what you do best...regurgitating what you hear on AS. Nothing wrong with Tzed's thoughts. It's a good post, but I'm trying to get you to think for a minute. Honestly, how many people are going to swap a 20" bar from their 361 onto their 026 to cut a few limbs? Real world, not theoretical. I'd bet most will just grab the saw with the correct size bar and get it done. It's a 3 saw plan, not a 3 bar plan. I may be smoking something, but if you're blowing off anything but Stihl, then I'd say your drinking something...Kool-Aid.

Last edited:
2K, you're doing what you do best...regurgitating what you hear on AS. Nothing wrong with Tzed's thoughts. It's a good post, but I'm trying to get you to think for a minute. Honestly, how many people are going to swap a 20" bar from their 361 onto their 026 to cut a few limbs? Real world, not theoretical. I'd bet most will just grab the saw with the correct size bar and get it done. It's a 3 saw plan, not a 3 bar plan. I may be smoking something, but if you're blowing off anything but Stihl, then I'd say your drinking something...Kool-Aid.

Very simple....I will go slow.............

Same brand saws can use the same bar. If you have a saw down, swap bars. Nothing to do with Stihl, you can do the same with a Dolmar or husky. If the 660/32" is wearing me out for weight but I stihl need the 32", I will put it on the 460 and continue. Most guys don't have 4-5 saws with all different bar lenghts. 1 or 2 maybe and a few bars. I have used the 026 with a 20" and the 361 with a 25" when I didn't feel like a 460 or 660. Use some logic, it helps.

Alright, thanks! I'll probably order the catcher and DP cover next week.

I guess thats why I'm just not too impressed with my 361, ok, I said it. Its a great saw, sure, but I just love the way that 260 runs! I have no problem with tuning the saw. I picked up a tach from Amicks and have muff modded two other saws other than my 260. The drywall screw is my friend, hehe. So all is good there.

The muffler mod will make a lot of difference. Then get an 8-t rim sprocket for it if you really want optimum performance. I did this with mine, and I LOVE it!

The muffler mod will make a lot of difference. Then get an 8-t rim sprocket for it if you really want optimum performance. I did this with mine, and I LOVE it!

I tried an 8-pin on my ported 361 with a cull-comp RSC chain. It pulled it fine but was a hair slower on the clock. That was in hardwood of some type.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd push it with the 8T because I'm running the 20" bar on it too.

Gota have at least 2 saws! Both ms 660s one for falling one for bucking then if falling saw goes belly up you have a good back up or it can go other way around. Then you have to have your work area in basement loaded up with all of your used up saws that you use for parts. That is one of the nice things for me any way about having used nothing but 66's since they have came out, I have tons of parts and do not have to go to the saw shop very often unless it is to buy new 66. One bad thing is that some of the older 66's have body parts that do not fit the newer ms 660's. Gas tank is the worst part that will not fit! That little jewal runs about 150.00 bucks! And if you have saw shop put it on cost goes up.

I have made a wonderful living with my saws ! Both of my daughters have gone to college and my wife and I live in a very nice home with some acres.

Long live the chainsaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back