Name that tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobby climber

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
...Photo of this tree was taken in 1989 on the island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean. Could anyone tell me what kinda tree it is??? HC

Last edited:
Ya Jason, it could be an olive tree...lots of them over there. I've only worked on one olive tree since I started doing tree work. Did a good job on it and customer was happy but a nasty tree to handle even with leather gloves! :angry: !!! Sorry MB about the BMP, thought I had jpig...ops. Still learning with this new computer and its programs and for the life of me , I still can't master this resizing thing. Some day I'll figure it out...I hope! Interesting island country,Cyprus, with it's ancient history and culture. I was serving a tour of duty as a Canadian peace keeper with the United Nations,(CANCONCYP / UNFICYP). On a two day pass, I decided to used the time to explore some ruins on the Greek occupied side of the island. Came upon this tree after walking for about 6 or 7km,(5 miles eh), looked kinda cool so I took a picture of it. I also had it enlarged and its now on a wall in my den. HC ps- feel free to adjust the pic so others can view it better then I sent it.

Last edited:
Ya, I thought it was kinda cool also! Hey MB, ya ever work on an olive tree??? I wouldn't recommend hugging one unless you want to look like a human strainer! They are the porcupines of trees! HC

hobby, ive been to (the south of) spain several times.that is where the bulk of the worlds olives comes from. they even export lots of it to italy, then the italians make it into oil and print "product of italy" on the label. sometimes they dont even make the oil in italy they just package/and or label it there. a little useless knowledge

...here it is downsized and compressed as jpeg. Interesting tree... notice the windblown shape, like a flag tree you sometimes see on mountain ridges.

It looks like an olive to me,also.I could,of course be mistaken,as it's been 35 years since I was in Rota Spain .

Thanks to everyone for your help. Its been bugging me for some time not knowing what kinda tree it was. This wood good for anything? All I know is that it was heavy and had strong killer spike like thorns growing from it ! HC

Back