Narrowing down my decision on a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the John Deere c62 looks like a really good buy. I have done some reading on that model and it seems to be well made. I worry about parts or service for it down the road though. Thoughts?

I really like the thought of a 346XP or 359 too but the 359 is a tad out of my price range.

I also lean a little toward the Stihl MS270 since I have had good experience with that store. The Stihl dealer is a John Deere shop and the same place I bought my lawn tractor from. The tractor broke down once and they came and picked it up, made the repairs, and then brought it back to me charge free.

Although the local Husky shop has a good reputation as well. I only wish my uncle didn't live 800 miles away.... I'd be on his doorstep every night begging for the 359 at cost. lol

What size of a tree will a 50cc saw handle without bogging down too much? I have some hardwood trees 20" thick that I would cut on occasions. I will probably go with a 20" bar to start and then later buy a 16.

You can fit a Husky 353 in well under your budget. You could get all of the necessary PPE equipment also. I have the 353 and it is a pro built land/home owner class saw. The 346XP is the pro version of the same saw and a bit higher price, but think you could get that one also. Both are great saws.
ZG

STIHL ... dealers everywhere- great parts availability -the benchmark all others are rated against.- excellent resale value, even when siezed-

STIHL

I'd say it could end with a Stihl ms361. If those run as good as my ms360 like everyone says, but they have great av...then that's where it ends for you my friend. Buy your 361, delete your account on arboristsite.com and never worry about buying another saw. But if you stick around here for a while, you will own at least 3 more saws....just a friendly warning. Welcome.

No kidding about buying more saws, i have 2 running, one project and and looking at three more. oh well, better be addicted to saws instead of other stuff!

Your uncle is a dealer...go talk to him and have him hook you up with the family discount. The 359 would probably be your best bet, but the 353 is a good choice. I would lot recommend a 346 to someone who has never run a saw

The Dolmar 5100S is, in my opinion, one of the best firewood saws on the market.

Of course there are others just as good, that's what makes it hard.

If you stay on this site long enough, you will want one of each. I have never considered Stihl, before joining this forum. Now I am considering Stihl and Jonsered, and Husky. Oh well.

"also lean a little toward the Stihl MS270 since I have had good experience with that store. The Stihl dealer is a John Deere shop and the same place I bought my lawn tractor from. The tractor broke down once and they came and picked it up, made the repairs, and then brought it back to me charge free."

Sounds like you might have found your dealer anyway. If it was me I'd get the MS 260. Your going to need 2 saws. The 260 will cut the bigger stuff (albeit slower) and it's perfect for limbing and bucking up to 14-16" or so. You can work on the other half for a couple of years on the big saw. WDO

hey man, i climb trees for a living. meaning i run a saw daily.

go see your uncle, pay what he wants you to pay under the condition he replaces the catalytic muffler with another muffler (on him) the moment you hand him the money.

come back here and do some thorough research on the 359. by taking the catmuffler off that saw you just bought the hottest saw in the 59cc class.

i wont lie to you man. i own both the ms361 and that 359. i like the husky better. do the simple mods to this saw and you got yourself a runner.

you will be keeping money in the family and besides if you dont buy from your uncle you can forget about ever asking him a saw related question ever again, right?

win win, no?

good luck and dont let them talk you into a 270 or 290 if you can get that 3fiddy9 homeboy.

Yep yep. Go with the 359xp. I missed the part that your uncle was a Huskie Dealer! Even if he doesn't hook you up price wise, you'll always have a parts and service shop at hand. I'm a huge fan on huskies.....I would trade my ms360 any day for a husky 359xp.
Good thoughts on keeping the money within the family Olddirty. Wish more people thought like you do.

346XP. What were your other questions? Seriously, enough saw for light firewood and deadfall cleanup. You can find them for $399 on ebay, closer to $470 at dealers. Easy decision really.

Scott

just a thought

what about the 460, middle child of the 353 and 359. I know around here there are more of the 460 than the 359. I like the 359 as well plus the ms310 would be nice. I couldn't make my mind up on those either so I got tired of all the reading and just bought a jonsered 2165 and called it a day.

I will make two points.

1) You will eventually need a back up saw. It's just smart to do so. CAD will eventually push you there anyway.

2) I am satisfied that most people, if the choice is available, will choose the lightest saw possible that will get the job done.

So my suggestion is to buy a new saw on the lighter side (50-60cc)to be your go-to saw. Then later, when you can afford it, buy a used 70-80cc saw for backup and the occasional big stuff.

Also, not all Poulans are crappy saws. Maybe yours just needs a sharp chain.

I will make two points.

1) You will eventually need a back up saw. It's just smart to do so. CAD will eventually push you there anyway.

2) I am satisfied that most people, if the choice is available, will choose the lightest saw possible that will get the job done.

So my suggestion is to buy a new saw on the lighter side (50-60cc)to be your go-to saw. Then later, when you can afford it, buy a used 70-80cc saw for backup and the occasional big stuff.

Exactly what I was trying to point out. That's why a pro model in the smaller saw is better than a midline as well. Buy the best... you'll never have to replace it as long as you mantain it. Keep your eyes open for a 70cc saw down the road. A nice one will come along. WDO

What size of a tree will a 50cc saw handle without bogging down too much? I have some hardwood trees 20" thick that I would cut on occasions. I will probably go with a 20" bar to start and then later buy a 16.

I'd run an 18" on a 50cc saw, when bucking a 20" tree you just have to reach over the log to start the cut on the back side, then pull the saw down onto your side of the log.

If you really want a 60cc saw, find out how much it would cost to have your uncle mail you a 359. If that's out of reach, I've still got a CS62 sealed in the original carton with a 20" bar. Warranty might be a problem as I'm the original retail purchaser, not you. Parts should be available through John Deere or from an Efco dealer like Bailey's.

Tax,

I'm not interested in the warranty as much as a quality saw that "I" can fix when a problem arises. It looks like this saw is not a clam shell case and therefore can be rebuilt when needed? If so, I think that's just what the doctor ordered. Please PM m:greenchainsaw:e with what you would need to ship that saw to me @ zipcode 47459

Start with the 16" bar, you will have more power and be easier on the engine. You can add a 20" for occasional use later on

Back