Nearly grenaded my 371XP, tonight...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barton174

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So, I'll start by saying that, like I've seen here on AS, it never hurts to stop and ask about wood that's sitting around! Been watching to see if the guy who took the rest of the tree a couple weeks ago was going to come back, and finally stopped on the way home from work, today. Guy says dude hasn't been back to get it, get it out of his yard if I want it! Done! Went home and ate dinner, loaded up stuff, and came back!

Brought the 371XP and my new 550XP (Ok, brought the 540 along, just in case). Cut across the 40" piece with my 371XP, then started noodling. Now mind you, it's 90-92F outside, so saws are hot, anyway. I'm running the Husky XP fuel in my new 550 for warranty purposes, but my 371 gets 40:1 with bailey's synthetic oil and 91 non-e gas. While noodling, the 371 starts to run a little strange and I'm not sure if it's just hitting soft and hard spots in the trunk where the different trunks all come together, or what. Then my left hand starts to get really hot and when I pull the saw out to rev/idle/rev/idle to cool it down and oil down the chain, I notice it has an additional "ringing bell" sound when it revs. Like I've seen a million times on AS, when something's wrong SHUT IT DOWN! So, I shut it down and noodle a tank with the 550XP. I go back to the 371 and look it over and notice there is now an 1/16" wide slot in the top cover that didn't used to be there, sort of under the handle. Tap on the muffler, and oh ****, the muffler is loose! Finish what I could get done before dark with the 550XP, load the trailer up, and get home.

I check the saw out and piston looks like it always did, and the cylinder also looks good. Whew, dodged a bullet! Good thing I run 40:1 and run way rich with a muffler mod anyway, so it wasn't crazy lean with the muffler loose, and plus, I stopped pretty soon after it started acting up. When I say I run it rich, I mean the bar has to have a chain with low depth gauges, and has to have a good bite in at least 12" of wood to start 2-stroking. I know I can get more power out of it by going leaner, but it works in big wood, which is about all I use it for. *Note: The left to right marks in the piston in the 4th picture are me running a pick across the light vertical lines to see if I could feel any of them. I can't.

Anyway, now, the bolts are gone. Does anybody know what the specs are for the muffler bolts that go into the cylinder on a 1999 371XP? I suspect they're M6, but I don't know by what (1.0, 1.5, etc.), or how long.

Thanks,
Mike

IMG_20160906_212314850.jpg IMG_20160906_211352822.jpg IMG_20160906_211225045.jpg IMG_20160906_211155168.jpg IMG_20160906_192129751.jpg

I see concrete saws all the time having been ran for weeks with their mufflers completely detached. Were it not for the blade shroud they would be gone. It messes up the exhaust flange, and must be filed flat to seal up again.
I use 266 red loctite on 5mm muffler screws and never have any difficulty getting them back out during repairs later.

Looks like the right hand threads are suspect?
In my experience the shorter hardened 6mm screws are 1.5 pitch thread.
Part number for the screws are:
Husqvarna 725537055 SCREW MC6S 6X20
(From the link below)

http://www.partstree.com/parts/husqvarna/saws-chainsaw/371-husqvarna-chainsaw-1999-05/muffler/
Thanks!

Threads are fine, as far as I can tell. It was just the soft focus paired with how the light was hitting them.

63d04b2c3505436c23f08adada0731bb.jpg

18900247e4c8ab24c5687b4e0294d3aa.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Most operator manuals tell the operator to check screws and bolts weekly. This is of course meant for every day use, but it still is an indication that they need to be checked now and then.

Most people tend to be sloppy with this though, including myself.

Thanks!

Threads are fine, as far as I can tell. It was just the sort focus paired with how the light was hitting them.

63d04b2c3505436c23f08adada0731bb.jpg

18900247e4c8ab24c5687b4e0294d3aa.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hell, are we in a photography forum now LOL. What language was that?
(Just joking Barton)
Glad you didnt damage anything.
Is that the schroud melted from the muffler rattling against it?

I had this happen to my 372xp. I bought some M6 1.5inch (I think) hex head screws. Just head to hardware store and grab some 1" and 1.5" and some blue loctite. Tighten by hand, take the saw back to the pile run it to get it good and hot then tighten it again.

Most operator manuals tell the operator to check screws and bolts weekly. This is of course meant for every day use, but it still is an indication that they need to be checked now and then.

Most people tend to be sloppy with this though, including myself.

I normally do. This was the third time I've run it after muffler modding it, and I checked them last time. This was, however, the hottest and hardest worked it has gotten since I did the MM.

(Just joking Barton)

It's cool. I actually meant to say "soft focus" but it autocorrected to "sort" focus. Yeah, the plastic shroud melted a bit from actually the aluminum (It's called a blade shroud?) rattling around in there. There's also a melted place in the top cover from it, right under my hand (which you can kind of see in the pic). Both of those were what told me there was really something wrong.

Mike

I had this happen to my 372xp. I bought some M6 1.5inch (I think) hex head screws. Just head to hardware store and grab some 1" and 1.5" and some blue loctite. Tighten by hand, take the saw back to the pile run it to get it good and hot then tighten it again.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to re-tighten them after it gets hot! Having said that, I was looking at the IPL and while I do have the deflector, I don't have the actual gasket. Didn't come to me with one. I'm going to order both, though!

Mike

(Just joking Barton)

Damage to the top cover is a common result of loose mufflers - and of course much worse can happen to plastic cased saws.

I always fought the loose muff bolts on older Poulans until I started making exhaust gaskets from FelPro 3009
gasketing material & using red loctite. The older saws never had exhaust gaskets, but it solved the problem.
The fiber side goes towards the engine.

IMG_0442.JPG

Fel-Pro #3009 Exh Sheets Pic 1.jpg

Attachments

• Felpro Exhaust Manifold Gasket 3009 Facts.pdf
    314.3 KB · Views: 2
I always fought the loose muff bolts on older Poulans until I started making exhaust gaskets from FelPro 3009
gasketing material & using red loctite. The older saws never had exhaust gaskets, but it solved the problem.
The fiber side goes towards the engine.

View attachment 523974

View attachment 523975
I can imagine that the lack of a gasket may "help" the muffler rattling loose.

Yeah, generally speaking, when dissimilar metals (or rather, metals with different coefficients of thermal expansion) are bolted together and go through heat cycles, the gasket is what compresses and expands when not as compressed, to keep tension on the bolts and keep them from backing out.

Mike

Back