Need a 48"-50" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob J.
Chain time. This 50" bar will be used to buck up a 7' diameter Bur Oak. Would you keep it .404 or go 3/8 like I have planned on? Full-comp, semi-skip, or full-skip? I should have the power to pull what ever. Which one's going to serve me best?

What are you cutting the wood up for? If you're just making firewood, full skip is fine. If you were cutting wood for the intention of milling, my recommendation would be semi-skip. If were milling, I'd say full-comp ripping chain.

blsnelling
I had an 8-pin .404 on the 41" bar buried in solid Beech and not a bit of struggle. With 3/8 I'll be cutting a smaller curf and movnig less wood. a 9-pin 3/8 should be similiar to a 8-pin .404. I'll just have to try it and see.

Go to about 26 seconds in.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0Z0Dc6O7FU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0Z0Dc6O7FU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So you think I need full-skip for chip clearance? I have no experience on this topic.

Last edited:
Peacock

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nothing like real world experience. Do you think that's due to chip clearance or chain speed?

I'd guess it's chip clearance. Seems that the further into the cut I get, the slower the saw gets. I can usually pull the saw up out of the kerf a bit and 'clear' the chips to alleviate the problem. This seems especially common on softer hardwoods like silver maple.

Boogieman142

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
I have a full comp square ground chain on my 42" bar and pull it with an 8-pin with my 660. I am able to set the dogs and pull in hard maple and black locust....the only thing i noticed is that pulling it faster requires more oil and my 660 doesn't oil the greatest with long bars.

blsnelling
Here's the big Bur Oak the 50" bar is for. These pics are the first I've seen of the tree. I was told 7' trunk and 36" limbs. It doesn't look that big to me in the pics. More like 5' trunk maybe. The root flare might be 7' foot but more like 5' DBH. The 36" bar would have gotten that done.

410552037_ySx46-M.jpg

The "Grandpa" is the friend of mine that collects big Homelites. He and his two sons are looking for a 750 I guess to help work this tree over:)
410552033_Aivgc-M.jpg

Latest posts