Need a bigger saw, need your expert advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm suprized nobody mentioned the 181/281/288xp from husky. I have a 281 that I put a 288 big bore kit on and it pull's a 32" chain as if it was 14". Went thew 30" green silver maple with ease. Yeah its heavy but I was sick of doubble cutting on big wood. that's why my ms362 is my saw of choice when bucking after the tree is down.

When I was in that situation after last October's storm here, I bought a 24" PowerMatch combo from Bailey's for my old Mac SE3420. Yup, a 24" bar on an old slow 55cc cinder block. Works great actually, and was a big help on the larger trees, but I still had to go from both sides on a lot of it. I cut a lot of wood up with it, and it gave me a new appreciation for full chisel chain too. I don't often need the 24" bar, but I'm sure from time to time it will come in handy.

So if you want a new saw that's one thing, but if you have a need for a longer bar you don't have to have a hugely expensive new saw to use it.

I agree with everyone recommending the 70 cc class of saw. My personal opinion is to jump 20 ccs between saws, that's were the biggest gains can be felt between saws so if your 346 is about 50 ccs then 70 ccs fits the bill. Also IMHO a 50 cc saw runs a 16" or 18" bar with authority while a 70 cc saw will run a 20" to 25" bar (full comp chain) with authority, which seems to fit your needs.

I also agree with all of the recommendations to buy used, a quick look of the overall condition (plastics, bar etc), a drop test with the starter rope and a look at the spur/rim& drum will tell you alot about the saw your buying if you can't run it before you buy it.

Best of Luck

Hi JB
I would recommend you get a MS 460R Stihl, these are the best production saws out there. The 460R gives you some very helpfull upgrades on the standard MS460. You get the high output chain oiler / large duel dogs / over sized clutch cover with roller chain catcher and extended chip deflicter / the 3/4 wrap top handle and a larger high side jet in the carberator. the only thing you need to add is the factory duel port muffler cover. You need to adjust the high side setting when you replace the muffler cover, I always run a few tanks through them before I replace the cover. Should you decide on a 460R you will never regret it. I have a number of these, 046R and 460Rs and have run these same saws for years with out any problems. If taken care properly they will last a life time.

I have a 346XP and a 372XP and haven't ever had second thoughts about either one of them. Besides they look good together.

I'll buy a 385XP or a 390XP someday if I find one cheap enough. I don't need one but they would be fun.

Just repeatin' what's already been said. I've run as big as a 36" bar on my 046 on oak and maple in a pinch. It is a bit much to sling around all day, but if you're mainly bucking wood that's pretty easy to get around, it ain't too bad even for an old fart like me. Normally the 25-28" bar is my std. on that saw, but it's nice to know you can resort to it if the situation arises. I haven't modded mine yet, but I did rebuild the top end with a new jug and slug, and it's been gold. Also I've read here that modded the 046 can run with the 066, but without the weight. Buddy just had somebody drop one on him to tear down and have a look at. When he told the guy that it needed a new piston the guy told him to just keep it for what he owed for the diagnostic. Now he's got a nice 046 with about a buck an a half in it. He picked up an 036 the same way, and I found one in a recycling center bin that just ended up needin' some carb work and a coil. There are still plenty of deals to be had, it's just that Murphy's law says that the one you really want comes available the day after you buy the new saw, so if you end up with a new one, just don't look on CL for a few weeks after to avoid the pain. ;)

Buying to own long term or will you be flicking the saw if for some reason the 'buy it and they will come' doctrine of big saw ownership passes you by?

What's your budget?

Any preference for new or used?

I mean, I'm itching to suggest a new Makita7901/Dolmar 7900 or used Stihl 064 but will keep my powder dry for now...:)

Great shape Stihl 039 chainsaw with 25" Stihl bar and chain.

saw this on local craigslist, what do you think about:

The saw for the needs I mentioned when I started this thread
The price

Haven't seen it yet but seller claims compression is good, can be proven, and he will let you cut some big wood to try it out.

Thanks for all your above advice. Still haven't done anything yet. Kinda have my eye on a new 372XP with a 25" bar but my wallet doesn't seem to want to open when I'm in the shop.

saw this on local craigslist, what do you think about:

The saw for the needs I mentioned when I started this thread
The price

Haven't seen it yet but seller claims compression is good, can be proven, and he will let you cut some big wood to try it out.

Thanks for all your above advice. Still haven't done anything yet. Kinda have my eye on a new 372XP with a 25" bar but my wallet doesn't seem to want to open when I'm in the shop.

How much $$$???
For the 039?

Still a ton of good deals in the classifieds here. ex: a 372xp for $350 An older good running medium hefty pioneer for $120. Stuff like that. I'd trust a saw off the classifieds here to being in the shape claimed it is over most any random cragislist saw. Just sayin'...I have gotten four saws off the classifieds here, swap and buy, and all of them were as advertised.

Still a ton of good deals in the classifieds here. ex: a 372xp for $350 An older good running medium hefty pioneer for $120. Stuff like that. I'd trust a saw off the classifieds here to being in the shape claimed it is over most any random cragislist saw. Just sayin'...I have gotten four saws off the classifieds here, swap and buy, and all of them were as advertised.

Yea... I'll hit a home run once in a great while on C-List... But it's damn rare...

Take that 346xp you have. Do a muffler mod, change out the limited coil with a NON limiter coil, snip the limiter caps and tune. You already own one of the most bad ass saws made!! I sold my 372xp for a 346xp. DOn't get me wrong, the 372xp is an amazing saw!! But, the results I get from my 346xp is just all the saw I need. 18" bar, 3 semi-chisel chains (dirty wood) and 3 full chisel chains all razor sharp using the Timberline Sharpener.

HOWEVER, If you want a bigger badass saw get the 372xp. Killer saw!!!!

just get the biggest saw husky makes, a 3120xp with a .404 .63 chain. That's what I did :rock: I saved me all kinds of headaches.

I'm sure I'll get piled on here, but I really like my Echo CS6700 with 24 inch bar. It's not gonna win any races, but it's cheap, relatively light, and has decent power. Mine's bone stock. They can supposedly be livened up with a little modification. You can pick up an Echo cheaper because all the "Gotta have a Stihl or Husky" guys fighting in the front yard of the seller with a worn out Stihl or Husky for $350... I got my 6700 for $250 and it doesn't look like it did much more than sit on a shelf.

Don't get me wrong, the Stihls and Huskys are nice saws, but I'm not logging or cutting 40 cord of firewood a year - I might cut 10. My Echos do the job for a lot less money AND no one steals Echos...

Alright fellas - pile on!

The older Echos were awesome saws man. Nothing wrong with those there.

The newer ones, guess it depends on your application. Most guys will never use a saw enough to necessairly need a pro level saw.

To the OP's question, I have an MS441 Mag and I never use anything else. I had a few smaller saws but I sold them to friends who needed saws that size. I typically keep a 20" bar on it, but I have put up to a 32" bar on it for those rare jobs. It's an incredible saw and you get used to the weight pretty quickly.

Not saying there are times when I'm limbing a maple or something that I might prefer a smaller one, but overall its a really excellent mix between power and weight.

The older Echos were awesome saws man. Nothing wrong with those there.

The newer ones, guess it depends on your application. Most guys will never use a saw enough to necessairly need a pro level saw.

To the OP's question, I have an MS441 Mag and I never use anything else. I had a few smaller saws but I sold them to friends who needed saws that size. I typically keep a 20" bar on it, but I have put up to a 32" bar on it for those rare jobs. It's an incredible saw and you get used to the weight pretty quickly.

Not saying there are times when I'm limbing a maple or something that I might prefer a smaller one, but overall its a really excellent mix between power and weight.

The cs8000 I put together last month from two parts saws appears to be pro grade class by construction. And it has a manual oiler as well!

Back