Need a bigger saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skip the 610, find a 7-10, PM700. 70cc class, parts are everywhere, fairly cheap, runs a 24" bar easy enough, easy as pie to work on.

These old McCullochs are everywhere, they are cheap and will run a 24 inch bar with ease, parts are every where as most pieces of a 10-10 will bolt right up.
Try calling around to your local small engine shops to see if they have one out back, pawn shops occasionally will stock one(found my SP81 for $80 at a pawn shop) and your local craigslist. Don't be afraid of the 610, it may be heavy and bulky but it has enough torque to pull a 24 inch bar with ease and keep it oiled, I think it will even run a 28 inch bar if needed, plus can be had for around $100 or less. Other great cheap older models include Homelites Super Xl, 410, and 360, Poulans 306, 245A, and 3700, Echos 550, 610, and 650.

Something to fell and buck with.... I have been looking at some Macs, need something in the 24-28 inch bar range.

I take it this is for your own firewood cutting. I started cutting with my Jonsereds 49sp. It's an older 49cc saw....I thought it was good enough.... I now own, among others, 2 80cc saws and like the fact that a bit of pressure on the bar doesn't stall the chain....the saw just throws bigger chips and drops through the wood faster!

Another thing....a sharp chain will take you farther than HP. IMHO. A dull chain on a larger saw will still be a dull chain....If you're throwing dust..your chain is dull.

FWIW.....

I'd buy from here or a local dealer. Bigger is always better. You still want to be safe. Get a saw you can handle. Be realistic about it. For most trees around here a 16-20 inch bar is all you need. There are bigger trees but 95% don't need anything bigger. With anything bigger than a 20inch bar I find myself hitting the ground.

With that said my 660 is my go to firewood saw. I just run a 16 or a 20 inch bar. It's heavy and wears me out pretty quick so I'd say factor in the saw's weight. I paid $500 for it and it was at the dealer.

If you don't own chaps you should. I've never regreted buying them yet.

I agree I could get by with a shorter bar, but having never messed with boring or anything like that yet, I feel something long enough to make the cut in a single pass will be easier to do until I learn and get a little more experience. But come time to bury a bar I do want a saw capable of doing what I am asking of it

These old McCullochs are everywhere, they are cheap and will run a 24 inch bar with ease, parts are every where as most pieces of a 10-10 will bolt right up.
Try calling around to your local small engine shops to see if they have one out back, pawn shops occasionally will stock one(found my SP81 for $80 at a pawn shop) and your local craigslist. Don't be afraid of the 610, it may be heavy and bulky but it has enough torque to pull a 24 inch bar with ease and keep it oiled, I think it will even run a 28 inch bar if needed, plus can be had for around $100 or less. Other great cheap older models include Homelites Super Xl, 410, and 360, Poulans 306, 245A, and 3700, Echos 550, 610, and 650.

I agree the Ol Macs seem to be everywhere and parts easily accessible. I forsee some big yellow saw in my future.

Look for something in the 61, 266, 268, 272 chassis, they are plentiful, the parts are extremely interchangable, bars and chains available at any saw or mower shop, also you could pick up a red and black version if thats your color preference. I'd stay away from the old Macs unless you want a hobby as a saw mechanic as well as your firewood.

Look for something in the 61, 266, 268, 272 chassis, they are plentiful, the parts are extremely interchangable, bars and chains available at any saw or mower shop, also you could pick up a red and black version if thats your color preference. I'd stay away from the old Macs unless you want a hobby as a saw mechanic as well as your firewood.

I enjoy working on just about everything I own. Of course that doesnt apply to wife's car... It has just a few too many wires and funny looking boxes that I just cant seem to figure out.

You may want to run a old 10x Mac before you start labeling them as only fixer upper saws. My SP81 will flat cut wood and for $80 is more of a value as you could easily spend triple that in a older Husky.
[video=youtube;5bfOeM3EuCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bfOeM3EuCI[/video]

Ok, well I just sort of acquired an Alpina 0-70... Well I didn't but my father did, and it will be at my house soon. Anyone have any idea past the pics I have found of this these what I am getting myself into? LOL

Something to fell and buck with.... I have been looking at some Macs, need something in the 24-28 inch bar range.

My God man. What are you planning to cut/fell. A bar that big is going to need a big saw. I would cut your expectations a little, get a 60 cc saw with a 20" bar. If you are cutting firewood you aren't going to need any more bar than that. Just cut from both sides.:msp_thumbsup:

aspics001-1.jpg

One of my firewood saws.

Back