need a thin base gaket for a ms 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up using a mt dew can and copper sealant, got me back to .021 squish. The can was a little hard to work with, but I did'nt have a bag on hand. I will probably try the bag on my next project if it works out so that I can.

I am hoping this saw will cut as fast as my 660. The 660 has bb kit, two port muffler, and a carb off of an older 066 with no limiter caps, its the strongest saw I have hands down.

Sounds like that would be hard to get from a 460 unless you take it pretty far for a work saw.

Now that the 460 is done.......how'd it match up with your 660?

How much porting work did you do on the transfers, intake & exhaust port areas?

What was your starting and final compression?

If it beats the larger 385xp, it sounds like you did pretty well to me! But I'm interested in the above info as I've a 460 myself I'd like to do & want all the info I can get before I start try'n to do a real woods port on it (did a modest muffler mod already, but thinking about try'n for more).

Just used solder through the plug hole. Got this idea from a thread on this site not hard to find here. I have learned so much from this site,its awesome!!!!

Make sure you don't use acid core electronic solder. The acid will eat the aluminium of your piston. Use standard 50/50 tin and lead solder or the lead free stuff is fine too. As to how to use it for measuring that's a whole nother lesson. If you want that lesson just pm me

I have a question for you guys...I was thinking about this for my MS460... Instead of using a gasket could you put the piston in a lathe and turn it down what you need. Not the whole thing, make a pop up piston... I know it would only be a few thousands. Would it be worth doing this???

Diesel it been 24 hours and ready for your answer?? Ive never done a pop up, but there are plenty of threads discussing them. I only new to look here because of your comment on the "POLL" in chainsaws. I hope you have good luck with your MS460, my dad has one and that thing hauls a$$.

You can mill your piston, but some folks (like me) prefer to use a gasket. If you pull the gasket and just use sealant, it can/will ooze out when you torque the cylinder down. On plenty of saws, that makes no difference. On others, it puts a nice speed-bump right in the middle of the transfer flow. Also, I feel that a gasket provides a nice buffer for differing expansion rates which could make it less likely to have the cylinder bolts loose torque (no proof of this.)

Milling of the piston also cuts down the height of the piston, which in turn changes port timing of the intake in particular. In gross situations, "free porting" of the exhaust can be an issue as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. I never thought about it changing the port timing.

I have started my first attempt at modding a work saw. the saw is a ms 460 stihl. I have removed the base gasket and now only have .017 squish what should i use for a gasket to gain back the.005 I need to get back around the .022 squish I was looking for.
0.017" is ok. I have never used a gasket for a 046/MS460 mod. Permatex Ultra Grey applied thinly. An amount equivalent to the size of a pea on your finger. I have never had a problem with that clearance. Don't know how many 460's I've done. Maybe 90 or so in the last 7 years.

Simon--stupid question--would it be a good idea after installing cyl. with no gasket (sealant only) to do vac/press test to make sure its airtight?

Will

I like your logic.

beer can cut open and cut out to fit gets you about 2.5 thou, that ought to do it. Requires drinking a pint, some times the first gasket is not just right, but by the 4th or 5th one you'l have it down.

That sounds like a good plan. I like your 10 tooth sprocket too. People should know 7 tooth sprockets are a waste of time and time is money so they are a negative cash flow and should be outlawed. Jeff

Simon--stupid question--would it be a good idea after installing cyl. with no gasket (sealant only) to do vac/press test to make sure its airtight?

Will
I have never had one leak. Ever. Make sure the surfaces are clean and dry before assembly and give it a few hours before running it. Sorry I took so long to reply.

Latest posts

Back