Need advice, 066 MS-660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrantSFGDS

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings all! So, I sold my 394xp and I'm looking to replace it with a 066 or MS-660. Big saws are not common in my area so I'm looking at eBay and such. My dilemma is this, I can get a Stihl 066 that has a lot of wear and tear but is all stock, or, I can get a "parts saw" that is new for say $600. Now, the parts saw is supposedly built from Stihl parts and it's not a "saw in a box" from China. What would y'all do? It would be easier if I could see and run each saw but that's not possible. Used OEM or new unknown parts saw?

How do you get a "new unused parts saw"? Is this ALL NOS OEM Stihl? I mean that is a pristine saw never been in wood made from parts. I'd guess some conglomeration of old and new. The good, bad, and ugly.

The 066. How much and how much wear and tear?

Ebay is a crap shoot. But the buyer has Ebay on their side.

I'd say go to the trading post.....

I'm thinking the parts saw is rebuilt Stihl that they replaced all the cosmetic stuff as well as rebuilding the engine. Some guy in Canada is putting a bunch of these together, probably got the idea from the saw in a box craze. I checked the ads and didn't see anything, I'm checking multiple sources trying to find the best deal. Thanks!

Just buy a new saw. Why mess around with old junk??
Half price for starters. I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics and I'm not using it to make a living. I need a big saw occasionally and I need one that is reliable but I'm not willing to spend a grand or more on a saw for my purposes.

Honestly, because I like Stihl better. I have a buddy that's a Husqvarna nut and he wanted it real bad so I it go.

I was about to point out that 2100 in the fur sale section that's looking for a new home.

Be careful buying 066/660's that are too cheap. There's way to many showing up with aftermarket cylinders where the sellers aren't disclosing that little tid bit.

Half price for starters. I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics and I'm not using it to make a living. I need a big saw occasionally and I need one that is reliable but I'm not willing to spend a grand or more on a saw for my purposes.

So you sold what is arguably the best saw in its class to buy a bucket of junk that you don’t really need. Glad it’s your good folding money and not mine. As a side note, if you like picking your nose, you should have kept the husky. The 066/660 are Raynaud mills. Stihl should have given away free cortisone injections with each one.

So you sold what is arguably the best saw in its class to buy a bucket of junk that you don’t really need. Glad it’s your good folding money and not mine. As a side note, if you like picking your nose, you should have kept the husky. The 066/660 are Raynaud mills. Stihl should have given away free cortisone injections with each one.
You've made two references to junk. Just to clarify, are you calling used saws junk or Stihl saws junk? So far I've had 6 saws, two Husqvarna's and 4 Stihl, none have been junk and all have been used pawn shop jobs. I've had to replace a chain or fuel line here and there but all of them have run great. I've just found that I like Stihl's better than Husqvarna's up to this point and it helps that I can get Stihl parts a mile from my house whereas I have to order Husqvarna parts online. That's not the end of the world but it comes in handy sometimes. Regardless of why I did it, the Husky is gone and I want a Stihl, so a Stihl it shall be. Who knows, it may turn out that I like the Husky better and scrounge up a 395xp down the road. For now, I'm just looking for opinions on the original scenario. Maybe flip a coin? I don't like buying something I can't start and run first.

I was about to point out that 2100 in the fur sale section that's looking for a new home.

Be careful buying 066/660's that are too cheap. There's way to many showing up with aftermarket cylinders where the sellers aren't disclosing that little tid bit.
I think the parts saw has a Meteor top end. I like their pistons but I've never seen one of their cylinders.

Just buy a new saw. Why mess around with old junk??

haha they definitely need to be worked over properly and you may as well add the price of a square grinder to go with that box of junk

Sound advice gentlemen.

You've made two references to junk. Just to clarify, are you calling used saws junk or Stihl saws junk? So far I've had 6 saws, two Husqvarna's and 4 Stihl, none have been junk and all have been used pawn shop jobs. I've had to replace a chain or fuel line here and there but all of them have run great. I've just found that I like Stihl's better than Husqvarna's up to this point and it helps that I can get Stihl parts a mile from my house whereas I have to order Husqvarna parts online. That's not the end of the world but it comes in handy sometimes. Regardless of why I did it, the Husky is gone and I want a Stihl, so a Stihl it shall be. Who knows, it may turn out that I like the Husky better and scrounge up a 395xp down the road. For now, I'm just looking for opinions on the original scenario. Maybe flip a coin? I don't like buying something I can't start and run first.

Junk is junk. Sounds to me like you came here looking for approval of your actions, not sound advice. So once again, it’s your money, spend away.

Junk is junk. Sounds to me like you came here looking for approval of your actions, not sound advice. So once again, it’s your money, spend away.
Sorry you're personally offended that I sold a Husqvarna, lighten up a little. I'm not looking to buy a kit saw or a box of junk, just a used serviceable saw.

Would not touch eBay saws unless you are into gambling and wasting time. Personally would rather buy a knock off kit and build it myself.

For the $ in your budget you could get a knock off kit and OEM crank, bearings, and piston(s).

EBay Stihl saws are no more a sure thing than any of the knockoff kits.

If you are not going to use the saw much, run it with the parts in the kit and replace if needed.

Sorry you're personally offended that I sold a Husqvarna, lighten up a little. I'm not looking to buy a kit saw or a box of junk, just a used serviceable saw.

Chillin’ and grillin’ here, Boss. While it does not appear to be improving your situation, it does make it a whole lot funnier. Good plan!

Latest posts

Back