Need advice on which chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdbrant

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright now I don't want to start any wars here but here it goes. I have 1 acre of land that is overgrown with small trees. 90% are 3" diameter or less. None are over 8" in diameter. Went to a Stihl/Husqvarna dealer 15 minutes from my house and he suggested the Husqvarna 545 for $498.00 with an extra 2 year warranty for $25.00 extra. I have only used a chainsaw a few times that was never mine so I have 0 experience. It seemed a little overkill for what I need but I'm here to ask you experts what should I get honestly remembering I only have 1 acre to clear and then that's it? I have stihl, husqvarna and echo dealers within 30 min from me.

Alright now I don't want to start any wars here but here it goes. I have 1 acre of land that is overgrown with small trees. 90% are 3" diameter or less. None are over 8" in diameter. Went to a Stihl/Husqvarna dealer 15 minutes from my house and he suggested the Husqvarna 545 for $498.00 with an extra 2 year warranty for $25.00 extra. I have only used a chainsaw a few times that was never mine so I have 0 experience. It seemed a little overkill for what I need but I'm here to ask you experts what should I get honestly remembering I only have 1 acre to clear and then that's it? I have stihl, husqvarna and echo dealers within 30 min from me.
If making some tracks is not an issue you should look into renting a small dozer for a day. Get one with an enclosed cab for comfort and saftey. Unless you want to selective cut this one acre, a dozer is way less work than a saw for all those tiny trees.

Great advice, I did think of that
If making some tracks is not an issue you should look into renting a small dozer for a day. Get one with an enclosed cab for comfort and saftey. Unless you want to selective cut this one acre, a dozer is way less work than a saw for all those tiny trees.

Great advice and I thought of that but I would like to keep some of them and be able to clean up trees I want to keep, plus it's an excuse for the ol lady for me to get a new tool. I also like to tinker around on the little bit of land I do have

Great advice and I thought of that but I would like to keep some of them and be able to clean up trees I want to keep, plus it's an excuse for the ol lady for me to get a new tool. I also like to tinker around on the little bit of land I do have
Ya dozers are a little bit destructive sometimes, the advice on the echo 620 is great those are nice saws. You might also like a husqvarna 550 xp 18 inch bar i have one and love it.

Boy for such small trees I am thinking much smaller.
An Poulan 5020 I think or stihl 170 or 180
A dolmar 421,
A echo 400,
Good thing about the stihls is if you want to resale after you are done they hold some of their value.
Realistic anything in the 40cc range should be more than enough and easy to handle and in a sub $400 price range.

Welcome to AS. Looks like Echo would be a good choice given your budget. You can get into the 60cc class around that $400 range.

You should check out the Oklahoma, TX, AR, KS MO gtg thread here. You might find some guys close to where you're at. Its not just a get together thread. A lot of guys talk there every day. Who knows, you might get enough guys for a little get together. You'll get some help clearing and get to see examples of different saws at work.

I don't know your intended use for the cleared area but have you considered what is to be done with all those stumps?

a ported 3120 with a 48" will do lol

for those small of trees i would go on craigslist and get a wildthing you can get them real cheap

Went to a Stihl/Husqvarna dealer 15 minutes from my house and he suggested the Husqvarna 545 for $498.00 with an extra 2 year warranty for $25.00 extra.
A Very Good 50cc saw with pro like build. But yes it would be overkill for what you described.

Any small cheap saw will get that job done.

Refurbished husqvarna 445 or something in that range or you can invest in a quality pro saw for a little more and always have a nice saw, you never know when something else will pop up.

What about the 350 rancher. I mean for that job, that would work fine, cheap. I have 6 acres, a little bit of clean up, but I also farm 5 cord off of my father in laws land, so I just bought the 550xp yesterday. Can't wait to use it.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back