need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manilu

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Last year i bought new husqy 359, but one year later i have problems with my spine and 359 became to heavy for use, i thought to sell 359 and buy 545, what do you think?

I'm making around 15-20 cubic meters of wood per year, most trees are around 30-50 cm diameter

very hard to beat a 357 for firewood but the 545 looks good on paper. Haven't run one in person.

For the 50cc range I really like the Stihl 026/260. Very solid saw around 10.4lbs, so it's the same size. Great power to weight ratio and balance with plenty of AM parts following. They are ususally pretty cheap and easy to pick up used.

It sounds like you want a new saw though. If you are cutting mostly smaller wood 16" and under you can probably get away with a 40cc saw. If so check out the 45cc Redmax GZ4500. Sister company to Husky but their engines are made by Zenoah/Komatsu and are beautifuly done with plenty of power.

I'm sure more husky guys will be along to tell you about the 545...

Sorry I missed the 40-50cm... That's 16-20" for the USA people... you probably want a pro 50cc saw with 18" bar for good balance and performance.

Thx, isn't just because new saw, i needed saw like 359 because i got around 35 cubic meter cypres last year, tickest was around 120 cm diameter, i will never have that kind wood and my fc..ed back can't hold it, now on 359 is 18" 3/8 chain and when is full gas and oil it's around 8,5 kg, yes i'm looking lighter but not home owner or pro saw, 545 new here is around 700$

Generally speaking, Husky's are heavy for their size and under-powered.

Generally speaking, Stihl's are lighter for their size and over-powered.

Just an observation from an astute person. :)
This comment right here is why I don't use Stihl's or Husky's... I just run the best... DOLMAR/MAKITA!!!

All jesting aside I would look at a 50cc saw that is 4.3-4.7kg.

Sorry I missed the 40-50cm... That's 16-20" for the USA people... you probably want a pro 50cc saw with 18" bar for good balance and performance.
Yes it's around 16 to 20", i had 550xp in my hands and feels lighter then 359 but it's around 1000$, as i found 545 is almost same saw

This comment right here is why I don't use Stihl's or Husky's... I just run the best... DOLMAR/MAKITA!!!
Dolmar and makita i can buy here but it's hard to find parts and dealer, i can buy them in mall but for fixing it or parts i need to send it 300 km from my home, husky have dealer in my town

The 550xp is 10.8lbs (4.9kg) so it would be a little lighter.

359xp is 5.5kg

Yes, i also found solo 643ip but don't have dealer same as for dolmar and makita

359 full with 18" 3/8 is 17.4 lbs

897e7af94f3241c6f2ef57d9031866ac.jpg

Dolmar and makita i can buy here but it's hard to find parts and dealer, i can buy them in mall but for fixing it or parts i need to send it 300 km from my home, husky have dealer in my town

Yes I understand that. I was just trying to be funny. Honestly for most parts, you can buy them online and fix yourself. But if you are going for new with warrenty then get a husky so dealer is close

I have a Husqvarna 353 - an earlier version of the 545 and really like it:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/i-really-like-my-353.140917/

It came with a 20 inch narrow kerf bar, and I bought a 16 inch bar for it, switching out depending on the wood. If I was running the full 20 inches all the time, I would want a larger saw, like the 562. Fine for occasional use.

For days when your back is really bothering you, you might want to also pick up a better quality electric saw, if you have power near your wood. Really light, and plenty of power for wood up to 16 inches, although, a bit slower.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-oregon-corded-electric-chainsaw.268379/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electric-chain-saws.237462/

Philbert

Back