need advise on setting up 4 or 5 to 1 pulley for felling trees & possible port-a-wra

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally gave in and watched the whole video. I could not turn away, like an accident on the other side of the freeway. Wow, I would be truly feel stupid. Hey Doug, around 3:50 or so, did the guy get hit from the swing? Give that lady a hard hat. Dude, you are insane and I hope you do not kill yourself or your groundie.
Jeff

Me too. Less than 30 seconds in you hear him hit a gutter. Must be nice to be able to not worry about whats under you. I usually try to avoid the fences and landscape. I sure would have liked to see the swing back on those long rides, but they were edited out. AA you sure can make a video tho! Brand new jack from Harbor Freight, those things are worthless. Be careful AA. Although I think you are a disease to my industry, I don't want to hear about you getting hurt or killed, especially after we told ya so. It will be more justification from my insurance company, of why they rape us.

Yes, that's the exact model I use, I guess 3000# of force is all I've ever needed. The end (9:20) of this video shows me using it along with a floor jack to drop a steeply leaning tree:

[video=youtube;MmM98L_hQm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmM98L_hQm0[/video]

My bull rope (19,500# tensile) has a spliced eye on the end and I use that to attach the wench, thereby avoiding either prussic or gibbs type device that could damage the rope.

Thats the tractor everyone is talking about, thats no tractor,I have real tractors, thats a toy, I would let my daughter play with. I am disappointed, I thought I was going to see some real tree men working. watched some of his other videos, thought this was a Arborist site, not a hacker site. If this guy is allowed to post videos of that type of work, I question the title of this site. Could be dangerous, other people watching them, then going out thinking they know what they are doing and getting killed.
I heard the gutter 2! Had to watch a couple times, but yep he hit it! That there is a home owner with business cards

Try that stalpen tree jack surprisingly its really really strong when dropping trunks don't have to set to many ropes anymore. cleared a lot with it and didn't have to take the wedges out of my pocket.

I dont know if I am sold on that tree jack. It looks like everything that it is used on is something that I could either push over or wedge over. I would like to see what it would do on a 2' diameter oak leaning hard 180 degrees from where you want it to fall.

Thats the tractor everyone is talking about, thats no tractor,I have real tractors, thats a toy, I would let my daughter play with. I am disappointed, I thought I was going to see some real tree men working. watched some of his other videos, thought this was a Arborist site, not a hacker site. If this guy is allowed to post videos of that type of work, I question the title of this site. Could be dangerous, other people watching them, then going out thinking they know what they are doing and getting killed.
I heard the gutter 2! Had to watch a couple times, but yep he hit it! That there is a home owner with business cards

I knew you would love it. Try and find the video that he is talking about a "DANGEROUS TREE". You, of all the people I know, will appreciate that one the most. That lawn mower is the greatest thing invented since the chainsaw, according to him anyways! Better than a mini, better than a real tractor, better than a skid loader!

U mean this one!

A Very Dangerous Tree - YouTube!

Ha, that tree was a baby! I would have climbed that no problem. I went to his site, looks like he went to yours to get stuff to say, just worded little differently. He really should invest in a another rope, he swings those things way to far with no control. I would have had a guide line on them, but I am just a stupid farmer.

I like this one too, Red Oak Care - YouTube

Was trying to figure out what to do today, wife says I have to stay outa the barn, gunna sit here and watch this moron

I started this thread and want to thank everyone for all of their valuable input, advise, tips, specs and such on 5:1's and prussiks vs friction capture devices (Gibbs and such). I learned ALOT and have accomplished my goal and now can proceed forward.

I also want to thank everyone for their ..... "entertaining" comments :hmm3grin2orange:

and remember... if your not 100% sure of how to do something it is always better to stop, humble yourself, think things out and do what you have to do, even if it means "looking stupid", as it is far better to "look stupid" and be safe than it is to try to "fool everyone" and crash.

Merry Christmas !::thumbsup::::

I started this thread and want to thank everyone for all of their valuable input, advise, tips, specs and such on 5:1's and prussiks vs friction capture devices (Gibbs and such). I learned ALOT and have accomplished my goal and now can proceed forward.

I also want to thank everyone for their ..... "entertaining" comments :hmm3grin2orange:

and remember... if your not 100% sure of how to do something it is always better to stop, humble yourself, think things out and do what you have to do, even if it means "looking stupid", as it is far better to "look stupid" and be safe than it is to try to "fool everyone" and crash.

Merry Christmas !::thumbsup::::

Yup, and don't post it until you have figured it out.
Jeff

Yeah it was! Nice work SG, I like this guy already!! :hmm3grin2orange:

He's a good ol boy! He may not be the best spoken, but that guy can do anything! And make it look easy! He calls it as he sees it too, no tact with him! He is supposed to come up here today for Christmas dinner and bring me a mower (top level tree equipped mower:jester:) We are going to make a vid on proper use of a mower on tree jobs. He is mostly crazy, so dynamite is not outa the question! He has about a case of the stuff, blows up crap on the farm all the time!

proper use of a mower on tree jobs.

Something like this????

attachment.php

Something like this????

attachment.php

That is awsome. You know that probably is someone trying to trim his shrubs for real, and not a gag. Thats why it said on my dremal tool when i got it. " dont use this as a dentistry drill" you know some dumb #### used it to fix his or his friends tooth.

For the record ...

That was a $6k job and the only damage done was the sprinkler head that got ground out while grinding one of the stumps. The sound at :30 sec. into the video was one of the ground guy's lunch box. I was aiming for it. The pool house was 20' away from the closest drop, never in any danger. The tractor provided the pull on the large top sections. Clearing the fence was the goal and they all made it. The logs I swung over the fence were dropped in a neat pile right at the end of their swing, over the fence, and on the customer's property. The fence itself was being replaced so the only worry was keeping it's integrity around the customer's pool at the end of the day. (zoning and all).

Have a merry Xmas all ...

edit: and I love that hedge trimming tractor. Maybe I can get Matt to give my Steiner a lift so I can stump cut from the top down.

Last edited:
It's a unique service I provide ...

Wow, I should come to pittsburg and do some tree work. I could retire in a couple years.

Two trees @ $3k each is not that unusual for a job with that amount of rigging involved. If I deem a tree "dangerous" it can cost more. In that case there was no access for anything larger than my little tractor, so I didn't have to worry about being underbid by bucket queens or crane operators.

Two trees @ $3k each is not that unusual for a job with that amount of rigging involved. If I deem a tree "dangerous" it can cost more. In that case there was no access for anything larger than my little tractor, so I didn't have to worry about being underbid by bucket queens or crane operators.

Is that what you call "rigging"?? Oh, it's seriously unique alright.. and thank god for that!! Delusional old flame job..

Wow.. first you blaspheme the term "arborist" by associating it with yourself, and now this?? You should stay on the porch with the rest of the 16 year old female poodles.. I vote for an Xmas banning for your... (MDS bites tongue) well.. for you!! Just throwing that out there.

Is that what you call "rigging"?? Oh, it's seriously unique alright.. and thank god for that!! Delusional old flame job..

Wow.. first you blaspheme the term "arborist" by associating it with yourself, and now this?? You should stay on the porch with the rest of the 16 year old female poodles.. I vote for an Xmas banning for your... (MDS bites tongue) well.. for you!! Just throwing that out there.

A man, that dude there is what we call a faker, I ahve seen them come and go, the problem with thses types, they are convinced tht they actually do know thirt head from ther butt, we all who know the truth should pity them, cuase they usally have a way of weeding themselves out. Been watching and reading all yalls stuff. most of you are real tree guys like Beans, some of you are nuttin likeem! and its real funny from a outsider looking in, watching you guys toy with them. I dont reun a tree service but I know what its like to get up there and run a big saw, swing out 3ft dia tops and drop hitchen them will make a man outa ya real quick, some of your picture and vids are pretty dam cool. Aerelist is living ina fatasy world if he can see all the same that i can

Back