Need chainsaw purchase advice please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was going to post this on the chainsaw forum but after reading some of the stuff over there I thought better of it. I may have the opportunity to buy a practically new Husky 455 for $225 and wanted to know what anyone's thoughts are on this saw. As usual I value your experienced opinions. The guy claims it was bought new and only used twice on one tree after which it was put into storage for a year.

Last edited:
For that price it is a good deal if the saw is new. I would never pay $350 for a 455, but for $200 you are getting a good saw

The MS-170 is $170 at the dealer near me last time I checked. Much smaller saw than the 455 though.

I don't own any husky's, but have been pricing them as opposed to stihl and dolmar, that sounds like a good deal. My brother in law swears by the husky, has always owned ranchers where I prefer the stihls. If I am correct, my ms361 is fairly comparable, and I paid well over 500 when I bought her.

Thanks for the input guys..

I'll be looking at it this morning and hopefully adding it to my rather small arsenal.
Will check back in with the results in a bit.

Thats a very good deal for a like new 455 Rancher it is classified as a land owner saw, one step better than a home owner saw it has the pro 3/8 chain. new from a dealer your looking at about $430

for 215 I think you will like it. It is not a pro saw but a good saw. And for that price you cant go wrong. If it were new price we would be trying to steer you in a different direction.

But be careful you could catch the saw virus and have 1/2 doz saws before you know it. Every time you see a good deal you will be tempted to get it.

Currently I am looking for a 372xp :hmm3grin2orange:

I got a 455 Rancher, and have been very pleased with it.In fact, it is the most reliable saw i own, the others are a little more picky when it comes to old fuel.The 455 seems to run okay on just about any old gas, and of all my saws is the easiest to start in cold weather.

I have one with an 18" bar it is a nice saw. I bought mine new last year with a power case, file set and came with three chains total from Norwalk Power Equipment for $430. Can't find that deal anymore

I'm now the happy owner...

Of a Husky55 Rancher:clap: This is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and I'm glad it is! The saw came without a chain but is very clean and I have all the paperwork for it too. Thanks for all the comments and advice. Can't wait to get home get a chain on it and try it out!

We have a 55 rancher at the my job,and its a great saw,never failed to fire up,and its about 6-7 yrs old.I like it so much i bought the rancher 460,which doesnt seem to have any more power,but its been good so far.You will like the 55,the only complaint I have is its got a lot of compression,sometimes its a bear to pull over.A larger recoil pulley would reduce the effort a bit ,it doesnt take much to light it off,once you get it turning over.

It's funny that you didn't want to post in the chainsaw forum,pay no heed to the Stihl heads lol. That's a great deal they cost 450.00 up here. When it is -20 outside and you look out over your wood pile then go back to your nice and cozy wood heated home you will like the saw even more!

We have a 55 rancher at the my job,and its a great saw,never failed to fire up,and its about 6-7 yrs old.I like it so much i bought the rancher 460,which doesnt seem to have any more power,but its been good so far.You will like the 55,the only complaint I have is its got a lot of compression,sometimes its a bear to pull over.A larger recoil pulley would reduce the effort a bit ,it doesnt take much to light it off,once you get it turning over.

The newer ones have a compression release no more hard pulling.

Congratulations.:clap: My BIL cuts all of his firewood every year with his reliable 55 Rancher.
Hooray! Another guy using a reliable saw that's not a Stihl. Yes, I love my new MS 361, but of the 14 cords of firewood that I cut this year, it only accounted for about three of them. Almost all of the rest was cut by this $190 workhorse:
Echo3900.jpg

Echo CS3900. Can't kill her.

Hooray! Another guy using a reliable saw that's not a Stihl. Yes, I love my new MS 361, but of the 14 cords of firewood that I cut this year, it only accounted for about three of them. Almost all of the rest was cut by this $190 workhorse:
Echo3900.jpg

Echo CS3900. Can't kill her.
Another good saw that is under rated! As much as I like the fancy new saw's I have I keep going back to my 3.7 Beaver. My best friend has a Echo I think it is a 44 or 440 very reliable saw.
I would rep you but I cant lol. The 361 is a good one finally Stihl built a saw with anti vibe it only took them 20 years to do it!

Back