Need chainsaw purchase advice please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Husky looked mint, heck of a deal! Even a Stihl guy would jump on that one.........:greenchainsaw:

RD

Austin1 said, "Another good saw that is under rated!"
-----------------
The Echo CS3900 is circa 1997, and I believe Echo stopped making them in 2000 or 2001. Regardless, I have always thought that this was one of the premier firewood saws ever built. Very few members of this forum have ever operated one and so they never agree.

It is a pleasure to cut hard firewood with this saw. It's light, easy to handle, well balanced, and tough. Green wood or dry, she runs like a champion. Engine compression is huge.

I have been told many times by the chainsaw Forum that the vintage Echo saws like this one are better than anything that Echo makes today. Well, that may be true, and perhaps that explains why I bought a Stihl MS 361.

That Husky looked mint, heck of a deal! Even a Stihl guy would jump on that one.........:greenchainsaw:

RD

I thought I was a Stihl guy until I found this deal...! The saw's in great shape...ran it today and it really kicks butt! So glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one. The guy selling it said he got tons of emails on it too.:greenchainsaw:

Oh it's 55 Rancher. Even better IMO! I've got a 51 which is a hair smaller but same chassis and I've owned it since 1990 so 18 yrs. and it was used when I bought it. I put a piston and rings in it about 4yrs ago ($50) and it's never let me down. Really a nice firewood saw. Good Luck with yours.:cheers:

Oh it's 55 Rancher. Even better IMO! I've got a 51 which is a hair smaller but same chassis and I've owned it since 1990 so 18 yrs. and it was used when I bought it. I put a piston and rings in it about 4yrs ago ($50) and it's never let me down. Really a nice firewood saw. Good Luck with yours.:cheers:

Thanks Steve...yes it's a 55 Rancher. It seems folks here prefer it over the 455? I took it out at lunchtime and cut a few rounds that my buddy had in his pickup. Man what a nice powerful saw! First time using it and it started right up on the 2nd pull. A little tricky for me putting a chain on for the first time...not used to the Husky setup. Hope to get a lot of use out of this guy.

Not for long...!:) I thought it had a gas leak at first but it seems the cap wasn't on correctly. Is it normal for bar oil to leech out some? I notice oil the bench whenever I pick it up.

Pefectly normal if you have been revving the saw without putting it to wood before putting it up.All my saws leave a little puddle of oil on the shelf before I got in the habit of cleaning the saws up before putting them away.

Agree with Avalancher, perfectly normal due too oiling. One thing I will mention Tom, is if you continue too have the fuel leaking problem, change over too the old style fuel cap with the gasket under it versus the O-ring type. My 51 was always weeping fuel until I made that change. :cheers:

Agree with Avalancher, perfectly normal due too oiling. One thing I will mention Tom, is if you continue too have the fuel leaking problem, change over too the old style fuel cap with the gasket under it versus the O-ring type. My 51 was always weeping fuel until I made that change. :cheers:

Good to know the caps are interchangeable...I'll be sure to keep that in mind.:)

Back