need cheap, throw away saw I can put a 24" + bar on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shelby Stanga from Axe Men uses his Stihl in the water all the time.....He also uses his pistol to shoot, and pry down trees. So maybe he isn't the best example. Don't Wildthings come with a 20" bar?

It won't hurt a saw any, ive used everything from homelites and stihls to husky's setting bait traps in anywhere from 2-18" of ice without issue. I worked for a trapper who used his saws primarily for cutting ice, rarely did they see wood.

Go to Home Depot and rent a Makita DCS6401. Throw it at the rental guy when you return, for that true "throw away saw" feeling.

What's your budget on it? Just a thought, but you might consider an aesthetically rough, good running name brand saw. Then, if you manage to keep it in your hands and out of the drink you have a great backup saw instead of a weirdo inbred saw that's just going to make the rest of the stable lazy!

I used to golf - wasn't worth a **** at it. Every time I got to a water hole I would grab an old junk ball so I wouldn't put a nice expensive one in the pond. I was paired up with a rather good golfer once in a scramble and when he saw me do this he told me I should use the best ball I had. I asked him if it was because he really felt they performed that much better and I would have a better chance? He said, "Not really, but you'll sure as hell try harder to keep it dry!".

OK, so from what I gather you want a 24" bar and will be cutting stuff that is 12" under the water surface. Therefore what you are cutting is approximately under 12" diameter.

How deep is the water overall? Is what you are cutting "suspended" or lying on the ground under water?

If the saw if not submerged, what is the harm in putting the bar in the water? Anything other than ineffective oiling?

I left my 024 overnight in my tractor bucket a few months back.
It rained that night...hard. I came out in the morning to find the saw partially submerged in it's case. I promptly turned it over a few times slow, then fired it up and ran it until it was dry. No ill effects.

-Phillip

Back