Need Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if it's seasoned, burn it. it will keep you warm.

oh and what woodbooga said! :clap:

You guys will know the answer to this question. Pine wood is it worth burning?
How much tar is in it, does the tar ever dry out and leave.
I don't want to take a chance messing up the chimney.

I burn seasoned pine in my fireplace insert mixed with hardwoods and have had no problems. In fact I've read on other posts that some folks burn pine almost exclusively as it's the only wood available in their area. The more seasoned the better.:greenchainsaw:

Pine makes awesome kindling. It burns hot and fast. Creosote buildup is a function of incomplete combustion, not natural resins.

You're much more likely to get a chimney fire burning unseasoned oak that simmers in the fire than you are by burning well-seasoned conifers.

The major drawback to pine is that it has a real short burn time. A cord of pine, therefore, woun't last as long or put out as much heat as a cord of a higher btu species like maple, ash or oak.

if it's seasoned, burn it. it will keep you warm.

oh and what woodbooga said! :clap:

I burn seasoned pine in my fireplace insert mixed with hardwoods and have had no problems. In fact I've read on other posts that some folks burn pine almost exclusively as it's the only wood available in their area. The more seasoned the better.:greenchainsaw:

All 3 are good responses to your question. Even Poplar will give you heat, just won't burn as long as oak or other hardwoods, but will burn longer than pine and nothing bad about burning it, especially when it's free.... as was stated, just make sure the wood is well seasoned.

Excellent Information

Thanks guys for all the information about the pine wood.

All 3 are good responses to your question. Even Poplar will give you heat, just won't burn as long as oak or other hardwoods, but will burn longer than pine and nothing bad about burning it, especially when it's free.... as was stated, just make sure the wood is well seasoned.

For lots of folks, the matter comes down to what's available.

If I lived down where splittah is, I'd have access to hickory, white oak, and other high-btu volume wood. Why bother with a pine tree when cutting up an oak will give you more btu bang for the buck. Pun fully intended, although recognized only after the fact.

Conversely, if I lived in a climate that didn't support the growth of these species, my woodshed would be filled with pine, poplar, and birch. I'd just need a bigger wood shed, is all.

For lots of folks, the matter comes down to what's available.

If I lived down where splittah is, I'd have access to hickory, white oak, and other high-btu volume wood. Why bother with a pine tree when cutting up an oak will give you more btu bang for the buck. Pun fully intended, although recognized only after the fact.

Conversely, if I lived in a climate that didn't support the growth of these species, my woodshed would be filled with pine, poplar, and birch. I'd just need a bigger wood shed, is all.

While this is certainly true, I never shy away from any wood at all. I use the pine here mainly for kindling or to get a quick fire going. I also use it in my outside fireplace for BBQ's to get the fire going good..

The trees on my property are as you mentioned, and pine is pretty much non existant on my woodlot. However, I have been known to go pick up truckloads of pine because it was free. Kept me in kindling for about 3 years.

Wood is wood, it all burns and as long as you don't mind tending the fire, it is all good in my book.

:greenchainsaw:

Popping Noise

I have noticed that. I enjoy the noise though. At least the fire is burning and not went out!!!!

Last year I burned almost nothing but pine. After 1 1/4 cords up the stack I had about 6-8 oz of creosote (and none of it appeared to be the shiny/glossy stuff)

And I don't notice it gumming up my saw.

I try to keep some soft wood around even in the hard months. If you keep loading your stove with the “good” wood you can build up a very thick bed of coals. Put in some soft wood in and get fast good heat and burns down the coals making room for some “good” wood. A few years ago I logged a bunch of Norway spruce in April for my sawmill. Some of that sap coming out of the stumps would fill a coffee mug in less than a minute. Most of the time there are very few sap/saw issues. Sap problems with the new EPA stoves have become a nonissue ALMOST – it still needs to be dry/seasoned. I will have about seven full cords of hemlock cut and split soon for use in the next few seasons. A pound of wood is a pound of wood – it all burns. Run what you got.

I am right down the road from you in Franklin. I have several people who give me a heads up when wood is available. I will send some your way if you wish to PM me your contact info. It will need cut and loaded on site so be prepared for that. I will even help you cut some of it if you need the assistance.

Good lookin' out...!

I am right down the road from you in Franklin. I have several people who give me a heads up when wood is available. I will send some your way if you wish to PM me your contact info. It will need cut and loaded on site so be prepared for that. I will even help you cut some of it if you need the assistance.

I was hoping someone nearby would be able to assist our dear farm girl with some wood and help cutting and loading!!:clap:

Thank you cuttinstuff :rock:

Boys, a REAL woman is asking your opinion.

A old bull talking here. Be respectful.

Michael

You guys will know the answer to this question. Pine wood is it worth burning?
How much tar is in it, does the tar ever dry out and leave.
I don't want to take a chance messing up the chimney.

Farm girl....I burn pine mainly as is about the only wood I can get my hands on. Do a search of one of my old post or do a search for pine. I have nothing bad to say about pine. It keeps me warm. For me what ever burns and produces heat, works!

For your area there is better wood, you will learn that in time. This year I burned @ 2 1/2 cords of pine and my pipes look good.

P.S. I hope you have a sense of humor! These are great guys, BUT!! We are guys.....LOL.

Last edited:
Farm girl,
You may want to contact a local highway department in your area.
When they are cutting brush, they have loads of wood that need to be dumped somewhere. That is if the landowner himself does not want it.
The small stuff goes into the chipper.
My husband recently dumped a few loads of wood for the old farmer down the road who really appreciated it. But the farmer lets him hunt on his land so it works both ways :)

Growing up, mom would send us out with buckets to find her small kindling types of wood scraps, for the kitchen wood stove in the old farm house. Heck sometimes we even brought in bark etc. We had a big wood furnace in the celler but that we only used regular size fire wood.

Free is hard to come by. Even if you find some trees that someone will give you, you will need a chainsaw and a truck to haul with. All good investments if you plan on burning wood for a long time.

LadyToysDream Article

I too grew up on a farm and we burned firewood. Mom would never let us touch the stove unless she told us to. She didn't want HER fire messed up.(That was really fine with me!) My sisters and I helped outside with the wood. So when we got a stove in our basement a couple years ago I didn't know what to do. She had to teach me. I learned quickly. Had some trouble it would go out a lot.
I keep bark and particialy rotted pieces for firestarters.

You have installed a boiler in your house. Does that run water through lots of pipes like they used to? Houses in this area had boilers years ago. They leaked a lot because my dad was a welder and had to fix them.

There is one cold room in this house. It would be nice somehow to heat it cheap also.

Farm Girl

MJR -A old bull talking here. Be respectful.

Thanks MJR for keeping my site on track!!

Farm Girl

P.S. I hope you have a sense of humor! These are great guys, BUT!! We are guys.....LO

Streeter,

Yes, I do have a sense of humor!!!!!! I almost did not come back to this website at first. Now I enjoy it too! It has been very entertaining and educational too.

Farm Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back