Need help choosing chainsaw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm going to purchase my first ever chainsaw. It's only for occasional use...about 3-4 times per year. It would only be used to cut down small trees (typical suburan homes) that I sometimes get asked to do for my lawn maintenance clients. I've narrowed my choices down to:

1. Stihl MS180: $330

2. Husqvarna 440: $390

3. Husqvarna 445: $419

4. Stihl MS250: $430

All come with a case, dvd, hat and extra chain.
I have a budget of $500 to spend (including tax). All prices are Canadian.

Any advice as to which one would be best investment.

Why not just rent for those few times a year. It going to be sitting around a lot. I would think run once a month if you do get one.

Why not just rent for those few times a year. It going to be sitting around a lot. I would think run once a month if you do get one.

Good point. That's what I've done for the past 5 years. This year, I rented 4 times. Cost me $40 each time plus going to and from the rental shop. So, I figured I may as well go with a entry-level homeowner saw and save time and money in the long run.

Any advice or recommendations for the saws I'm looking at?

I'm going to purchase my first ever chainsaw. It's only for occasional use...about 3-4 times per year. It would only be used to cut down small trees (typical suburan homes) that I sometimes get asked to do for my lawn maintenance clients. I've narrowed my choices down to:

1. Stihl MS180: $330

2. Husqvarna 440: $390

3. Husqvarna 445: $419

4. Stihl MS250: $430

All come with a case, dvd, hat and extra chain.
I have a budget of $500 to spend (including tax). All prices are Canadian.

Any advice as to which one would be best investment.

Joed,

I know saws are higher upthere but $330.00 for a 180?????

My buddy got his for around $230.00 out the door....:dizzy:

to be honest if you arent really using this saw much i would get a wildthing because at its price you will get a pretty good saw if you maintain it properly i can get a wildthing for under $120 brand new then you still have $380 dollars to play with. just my opinion

The 180 isnt a bad little saw for small trees. If its over 12" or so you would probably want a bigger saw. If you only use it a few times a year it should last a long time. The big thing is to make sure you keep the filters clean, and dont store it with gas in it as mix gas goes bad after a few months.

Might want to look for a Ryobi "redmax". Do a search for Ryobi. Buying a used saw would be your best bet. Try your local paper and Craigslist. Those new prices are high. Check the trading post for saws also.

You could get a very nice saw for $500 CND. Dolmar 5100s. Last you a lifetime and no need to upgrade down the road. :cheers:

The 180 isn't a bad little saw for small trees. If its over 12" or so you would probably want a bigger saw.

I was looking at this saw. I like it but I thought it would be a bit too small. That's why I'm looking to get something a bit bigger.

I know saws are higher upthere but $330.00 for a 180?????
Yes they are expensive. That price is also a special fall price. Usually they're higher. Welcome to Canada.

I would look at an 026
Would love this saw but it's $599 Canadian + tax. It would end up close to $700. That's too much to spend for a saw that will see such little use.

I'm leaning toward either the husqvarna 440 or 445. Does anyone have any feed back for these saws?

I ran a 025 with 18" bar for years and cut a huge amount of wood with it. If the chain is sharp the saw will cut 16" oak easily.

Then I got a 029 but replaced it with a lighter 026 after I wrecked my back.

I would rather cut with a 025 and a sharp chain than lug around a 029 with a duller chain. I still have a backup 025, the best deal out there for homeowners.

Open up the mufflers a bit. It really makes a difference on my 026.

I ran a 025 with 18" bar for years and cut a huge amount of wood with it. If the chain is sharp the saw will cut 16" oak easily.

Then I got a 029 but replaced it with a lighter 026 after I wrecked my back.

I would rather cut with a 025 and a sharp chain than lug around a 029 with a duller chain. I still have a backup 025, the best deal out there for homeowners.

Open up the mufflers a bit. It really makes a difference on my 026.

The 025 is a good little saw, and it has a surprising amount of power for its size/weight/design.

Joe you could also consider finding a lightly used saw in that size class. I'm sure there's a few members here that have sub-50cc saws for a decent price.

Yeah Get the ECHO
It's a good little HOMEOWNER saw

Don't buy Echo, they really suk

Last edited:
AS is going to hate me for this...

How about a MS290? Get it fitted with an 18" bar. Dont know how they're priced in CA. Good strong running saw. Sure they're a little heavy, but basically bulletproof. Pretty much any saw will last quite a long time if proper maintenance is taken and keeping fresh gas in it.

Id go with the MS250. If you are only going to have 1 saw, its a good all-around saw.
The 180 is a good little saw, but its too small to be a do-everything saw.

AS is going to hate me for this...

How about a MS290? Get it fitted with an 18" bar. Dont know how they're priced in CA. Good strong running saw. Sure they're a little heavy, but basically bulletproof. Pretty much any saw will last quite a long time if proper maintenance is taken and keeping fresh gas in it.

The 290 is only 20 bucks more before taxes than the 250

I personaly would stay away from stihl. I have been around some of the older ones and some of the newer ones, there is no comparison. the newer ones are sub par. My advice is to look into a nice Husky. I have found that if you plan on using a saw 5 times a year, you might as well tripple the amount you think you will use it. b/c when friends find out you have a saw you become a better friend, if you know what i mean. i would recomend a Husqvarna 345, 350, or 359, i have had a 359 for about 5 years and use a lot. Nothing done to it other than usual maitnence. Buy a husky you won't regret it.

Latest posts

Back