need help estimating several acres

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rather unique situation. I have an opportunity to fell approx. 3 acres of hardwoods for an area farmer. The landowner has all the heavy equipment and will remove the logs. Logs will be moved to a mini-mill that the farmer owns. My job is to cut the wood and nothing else. My round-trip commute will be 70 miles. Trees average 3 to 3 1/2 diameter, mostly oak.

I have never done anything so large. I will be doing the work on the side(weekends, days off). Is it best to do this on a per-tree basis or hourly basis?

And what type of insurance should I carry? My business insurance is in a different line(construction) and will not cover me.

thanks for the input...
mark

gettin paid

sounds like a great side job :) If he were a friend of family or something, I would charge $800.00 per day and if not a friend $1200.00 per day. As far as insurance...talk with farmer about being covered under his insurance cause I am not sure you can get insurance for one job...I pay for my insurance by the year. good luck and have fun. Munkee feet

Just wondering? Is the farmer going to be working along with you? as in skidding the logs out as there being cut. I could make it allot easer for you and him. After 3 acres of 3 foot diameter trees are cut it may just look like a bomb just went off in the area. Unless ya can directionally fan them out to easily skid them in one direction.

I'd say $500 per day tops. Munkee feet, thats a ridiculous price of $1200 per day for one man. stihlaficionado, you really are not doing anything more than a faller in a logging operation. Here in my state I have heard $300 per day is a great wage. I own a tree service and I find it somewhat difficult to maintain a $1200 per day average for a three man crew, gear, truck/chipper and pickup/trailer.:bowdown:

Call me crazy if you want...but thats what I get with just a truck and trailer and a few saws. GICON...I had not thought about different rates for different areas. I am good, and I am cheaper than my competition...in my area...period. Munkee feet

I do some logging sub work in the winter here we get paid by the 1000 ft we cut. Some times we get paid by the day but you have to be carefull, know exactly what the land owner wants of you. Does he want all the wood out, if so you can drop the tree and let him pull it out. Or does he want the tops cut down. Do you have to buck up the logs on the landing or will he. I currently have a bid out on 20 acres with approx. 100,000 ft on it, I bid that job per 1,000 feet cut. But if the job doesn't have big footage by the day is the way to go. 250- 350 per day depends on whats asked of you. Good Luck!

Back