Need help identifying this strange firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple black cherry trees on our property and the bark doesn't quite match up. I suppose there are other cherry trees I should check out, eh? I did come across photos of a plum tree that seemed to match, but I only had the bark to compare.

Thanks for your input.

Cherry bark varies vastly from young to old trees and trunk to branches... It only develops the scaled look as it gets older, on the trunk.

Thornless honey locust makes crappy firewood. Oh, it burns fine but the chipmunks will eat all the bark off of it and then crap all over inside the stack.

probably locust

Since he's from Illinois, I'd go with the locust. The smell of it would be the clincher. Cherry is great to smell anytime. Locust just splits and burns and produces heat. Cherry is great in an open fireplace and when you go outside you can enjoy the smell. One thing I will warn about but it's not a real bad problem: here in MO (Trenton area-up north) the locust I've cut(I consider it a weed) gets these borer worms in it. You see this sawdust come out of the wood. I occasionally in the summer spray the wood pile. Once in the house in the wood area(the rack) there isn't a problem however. Locust trees remind me of the gang members I had while working in the CA. prison system: They have all the nasty thorns on the outside and look bad, but when you break them down they don't smell so good and burn up.

Last edited:
The cemetery across the street took down some trees last year and piled the cuttings in the back of the lot, so I recently asked if I could take some for firewood. I pulled some walnut out (very beautiful wood and almost a shame to burn it) and some of the type of wood shown in the photos. I'm having trouble identifying what the second type of wood is. There are no leaves available.

The bark is smooth like a fruit tree and the wood is pink inside. It is very dense and heavy and has a fairly strong but pleasant smell. It also splits quite easily. Although my moisture meter says it's wet, it will still burn, albeit poorly.

Your help would be appreciated.

We're new to the site and this is our first post.

Thanks.
That sir looks like apple to me , even with the red inside I have never seen cherry with type of bark...Seems to be nice wood ..

Last edited:
looks like some of the locust we have here in kansas hard on the saw!

But, it cuts great compared to the hedge trees here in Ks.

You got lucky with the thornless variety, All of my locust trees have 6 to 8 inch thorns in huge clusters. I trim them all off, pile them up and burn them on the spot. (saves money on tire repairs)

But, it cuts great compared to the hedge trees here in Ks.

You got lucky with the thornless variety, All of my locust trees have 6 to 8 inch thorns in huge clusters. I trim them all off, pile them up and burn them on the spot. (saves money on tire repairs)

I dont cut much of either if i can help it except for my own fire wood if a customer wants me to cut down a six inched thorned locust they are going to pay dearly if at all i always end up with wholes in all my tires and wholes in me some work just isnt worth the greif:deadhorse:

Thats definetely most absolutely and positively FIREWOOD.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back