need help looking at a new saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 woodpile

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ha guys need some help on buying a new saw... Was at the stihl and husky dealer today... I'm looking at the 066 stihl and 395xp husky like both of them but don't know what one to choose... I have 039 but need something bigger for the big wood. Anyway the husky dealer told me that he has a good deal on new 575 xp with 24 inch bar for $610.00... I need some advice thanks guys...

Skip: :confused:

post in the chain saw section, an 066 is a old saw, that has been replaced by the ms660. show how much is selling that used saw for?
i wouls grab up that husky 575xp

Stihl changed the model number from 066 to MS 660 in 2002, but the 066 had been around since the early 90s or so. The Stihl is a little lighter than the Husqvarna 395XP.

If the 575XP is the "new edition" its a good deal, but I suspect its the original for that price.

I would look for a 372XP, 372XPW(has wrap handle and 75cc) Stihl MS440 if you can still find a new one, or a Stihl 460.

My 066 weighs 22# with 25" bar, and no gas or oil.

Stihl changed the model number from 066 to MS 660 in 2002, but the 066 had been around since the early 90s or so. The Stihl is a little lighter than the Husqvarna 395XP.

If the 575XP is the "new edition" its a good deal, but I suspect its the original for that price.

I would look for a 372XP, 372XPW(has wrap handle and 75cc) Stihl MS440 if you can still find a new one, or a Stihl 460.

+++

066 came out in 1999

I guess if I was going to consider a new 75cc saw, I'd have to take a hard look at the Solo 681 or the Dolmar 7900. The power to weight ratio is amazing on those saws, not to mention the price is pretty reasonable.

The 066/660 and the 395 are much heavier saws and have a little more power. Both would do well for large PA trees, I can't imagine ever needing more saw in this part of the country. I run a 880 every so often here in CT. While it really rips through trees with the 21" bar on it, it's overkill and gets heavy to run it for extended periods. We have larger bars, but find it's a pretty rare occasion that anything larger than a 28"-30" bar is needed. If you're not going to be needing anything larger than a 30" bar, I'd suggest you look at the 681 or 7900 as I think you might find those saws are more useful on a more regular basis.

Last edited:

+1 Good advice. If you have a JRed dealer near you, also take a look at the 2171 (same saw as the 372XP except handle angle and color) and sometimes selling at a lower price than 372XP.

Thanks guys, I did mean a new ms 660 or 395 xp... I can get a deal on the husky but the stihl is tough on ther price... So do you guys thing the 575xp a good price...

Thanks
Skip

I have a Dolmar 6400 w/ a 24" bar and use it all the time, runs great. However, if you need a longer bar I would upgrade to bigger cc. saw.

Thanks guys, I did mean a new ms 660 or 395 xp... I can get a deal on the husky but the stihl is tough on ther price... So do you guys thing the 575xp a good price...

Thanks
Skip

ya stihl will not buge on their price, they might trow in a another chain, and if your a good boy, just maybe a hat

I would second the motion on the 372. Its light enough not to kill you lugging it around, but I have run a 32 inch bar with a skip tooth and had not a moment of bogging in red oak. With a 24 inch bar, it has plenty of power and should really do just about anything that you ask of it unless you are into big wood all the time. I had a 385 for a couple of years and sold it because it sat there most of the time. Every time it went with me to the woods it sat there by itself in the back of the truck sneaking drinks out of the cooler while his little 372 brother played in the wood.

avalancher. My wife told me yesterday she wants her own saw. Notice your wife uses the Husky 137. Can you tell me anything about the saw? Why she likes it? I plan on checking out their website. My 029 is too heavy for her. Anyone else want to add their 2 cents is welcome.

While the 575xp is a good deal, I have never heard anything good about that saw....660 are nice, along with the 390xp and 395xp. The only downside to those saws are weight. If you don't mind weight, get one. Another option, If you are comfortable with no dealer support, I would suggest you look in the trading post at that new dolmar 7900. There is also a nice 2171 for 550. If you are looking at 575xp, the stihl comparative is the ms460, which is a great saw. 372xp's have been mentioned already, nice saw.

avalancher. My wife told me yesterday she wants her own saw. Notice your wife uses the Husky 137. Can you tell me anything about the saw? Why she likes it? I plan on checking out their website. My 029 is too heavy for her. Anyone else want to add their 2 cents is welcome.

My wife started with my little echo, but it doesnt have a lot of power so i did a little shopping. the 137 fit the bill exactly for her for a number of reasons. It had plenty of power for the 16 inch bar, light enough that she wouldnt tucker out from the weight of the saw, and most of all she can start the dang thing by herself. I had been letting her use the 455, but she couldnt start the freakin thing. I constantly had to climb down and restart her saw after she refueled, let it idle til it died, etc.
She has been running the thing for two seasons now, and we havent had a squeak out of it. The only thing that I have noticed is that it is a little more picky about fuel than the other saws. Ethanol makes it run a little weaker, enough to be noticed and makes it a little harder to start. I gas up now at a station that does not have ethanol in their gas and the problem went away.
I actually like the saw myself, you can limb with that thing like a giant pair of scissors, makes a guy almost tempted to swing it around with one hand after the little branches.
Its a homeowner saw, pure and simple, but for a 135 bucks it does its job with no complaints and pays no mind to the fingernail polish gripping its handle.
Also, it has no primer bulb, and cold weather starts can be a little harder. Not a big deal here, if its that cold, the wife isnt cutting anyway..:clap:

While the 575xp is a good deal, I have never heard anything good about that saw....660 are nice, along with the 390xp and 395xp. The only downside to those saws are weight. If you don't mind weight, get one. Another option, If you are comfortable with no dealer support, I would suggest you look in the trading post at that new dolmar 7900. There is also a nice 2171 for 550. If you are looking at 575xp, the stihl comparative is the ms460, which is a great saw. 372xp's have been mentioned already, nice saw.

There's a dealer in CT who will sell the 7900 through the mail for $619, I can't remember who it is, but I know they exist. That's from a dealer with "new" support. The unused saw in the trading post is 2 years old and is being sold through a private party. Obviously there's no support for a 2 y/o item being sold through a private party. Me thinks a $19 savings for such an item is not such a great deal.

Last edited:
Get a 372xp the new saw is heavier and most of the local loggers don't like it, why they made it heavier I don't know. You can't go wrong with what works 372xp all the way.

Get a 372xp the new saw is heavier and most of the local loggers don't like it, why they made it heavier I don't know. You can't go wrong with what works 372xp all the way.

You mean a new 372 is heavier than an older 372?
Makes sense really. If you chewed up as much wood as my 372, you would have lost some weight too!
Get that new 372 and put it to work, it'll lose some weight:chainsaw:

You mean a new 372 is heavier than an older 372?
Makes sense really. If you chewed up as much wood as my 372, you would have lost some weight too!
Get that new 372 and put it to work, it'll lose some weight:chainsaw:

No, I meant it (372) is a pound lighter than the 575 and for the couple extra cc's and hp it's not worth the extra weight. They (Husky) were trying to push the 575 with a little more power but nobody buys into it, too heavy.

Last edited:
Back