Need help picking the correct saw for me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Sensory overload!!!:msp_ohmy: I think I have gathered thus far a 45cc is minimum and I should go with an 18 inch bar? Now it comes down to brand, model and price. I don't think I want a used saw for fear of it's past (I am Irish and I have luck just bad:hmm3grin2orange:). Please keep the recommendations coming along with the reasons. I do know I am going to buy from a dealer not one of those super stores.

I hear ya, I'm Irish also and have the worst luck out of anyone I know!
I had a leaky tank vent on my 357 took it back to my Dealer fixed while I waited no charge, warranty!
Big box they send it out to a dealer and it sits in line w/ all the other failed big box junk.
For what I bought and what I use them for, I don't see any reason why my kids won't be able to run these saws when I'm fertilizer.

no matter what saw you buy

learn all about it you can, do your home work BEFORE you buy !!!! and buy personal protective equipment! you cant buy a new foot ,leg,or eye for a couple hundred bucks . good luck on your saw hunt light weight powerful = big bucks, weak heavy = cheap ,find some thing in between.

Lot's of things to consider Your age, the shape your in, how much and how big of wood. I was 44 good shape needed 10 cord mostly larger wood so I went 70cc and 20"and 24" I can still use it for all my cutting needs but am thinking a 50cc is in my future for the smaller stuff. If it was me and a one saw plan 60cc seems to be a good place to start.:dizzy:

I agree. An 18 inch bar on a 60 cc is the bomb

I'll second the cheap backup saw idea. Stuck/pinched saws can slow you down.

I like Stihl because they have the best dealer network for parts.

When in doubt I take my 036.

I would say an Ebay MS290 stihl. Good basic firewood saw. Cheap and there are plenty out there.
Or a Dolmar 510.

I would say an Ebay MS290 stihl. Good basic firewood saw. Cheap and there are plenty out there.
Or a Dolmar 510.

I got a little Efco 3700 a perfect little backup and is light as a feather and has some power.

Saw Choice

I would go to a dealer or a reputable saw man.

I know several saw repair shops that I would not hesitate to buy used from. Might be good to look into.

A lot of dealers have great condition used saws also.

I would stay away from the super store brand saws as your primary and go with the pro brands. I am a Stihl man myself so that is what I would suggest.

A few things to consider, brand doesn't matter near as much as a good dealer if you don't know much about saws and want to learn to work on them. Visit some dealers, handle the saws, see how they feel to you in your hands, too heavy, too bulky, does it balance good?
How does the dealer treat you, is he running off to deal with something else and ignoring you or attentive and answering questions? I've got three Stihl dealers within 10 miles, I will only visit one of them, the others are jerks! I don't care if you buy the best saw on the market, if the dealer is a jerk it's not worth owning! I choose a dealer, then a saw from them.
Used, there are more options than you can count, but again, you will need parts some point and time and it's nice to run down and grab a chain, air filter etc, from a dealer and cut again rather than wait two weeks for an online purchase!

What budget are you trying to stay at? Look at Echo if you are on the cheap, I know I bad mouth them, but they really aren't that bad of a saw for the price.

Does anyone know anything about the "Poulan Pro 20" 50cc Gas Chain Saws PP5020"

My dad has one, I don't care for it, but he likes it. First thing I would do is take the 20" bar off and get an 18" for it. Look around, you can find them refurbed for around $100. Taken care of you should get two or three seasons out of it, but they don't seem very durable in the long haul.

For a one saw plan, I'd get at least 60cc, 50 should work for you, but I like to go one size bigger, if you can, for that "one tree" that you need more grunt or the ability for a longer bar to fell.

Two saws are nice to have, get one pinched and you can cut the other one out, been there more times than I care to count:hmm3grin2orange: I cut Oak 100 miles from home, I take at least three saws with me, just because!
So to surmise, find your budget, find a dealer that treats you right, handle the saws in your price range, find the one that fits you and if you can, is one size bigger than you need then buy a cheap refurb Polaun for a back up saw. (or watch Craigslist for a used deal)

Wow, Sensory overload!!!:msp_ohmy: I think I have gathered thus far a 45cc is minimum and I should go with an 18 inch bar? Now it comes down to brand, model and price. I don't think I want a used saw for fear of it's past (I am Irish and I have luck just bad:hmm3grin2orange:). Please keep the recommendations coming along with the reasons. I do know I am going to buy from a dealer not one of those super stores.

If you're after a Dealer's saw then you've just raised the budget level to one I can recommend. Stihl MS 270 comes w/ 16" bar. You'll need to request for an 18" bar. That is where to start looking. The picking just gets better the higher up the ladder you go from there.:D

Find a good dealer who won't sell you soimething you don't need . If you have little experience with chainsaws don't buy a high strung professional model as your first one (aka 346xp) . Get something mid range you can afford then you'll love the proffessional stuff later as your second or third saw:smile2:

A few things to consider, brand doesn't matter near as much as a good dealer if you don't know much about saws and want to learn to work on them. Visit some dealers, handle the saws, see how they feel to you in your hands, too heavy, too bulky, does it balance good?
How does the dealer treat you, is he running off to deal with something else and ignoring you or attentive and answering questions? I've got three Stihl dealers within 10 miles, I will only visit one of them, the others are jerks! I don't care if you buy the best saw on the market, if the dealer is a jerk it's not worth owning! I choose a dealer, then a saw from them.
Used, there are more options than you can count, but again, you will need parts some point and time and it's nice to run down and grab a chain, air filter etc, from a dealer and cut again rather than wait two weeks for an online purchase!

What budget are you trying to stay at? Look at Echo if you are on the cheap, I know I bad mouth them, but they really aren't that bad of a saw for the price.

My dad has one, I don't care for it, but he likes it. First thing I would do is take the 20" bar off and get an 18" for it. Look around, you can find them refurbed for around $100. Taken care of you should get two or three seasons out of it, but they don't seem very durable in the long haul.

For a one saw plan, I'd get at least 60cc, 50 should work for you, but I like to go one size bigger, if you can, for that "one tree" that you need more grunt or the ability for a longer bar to fell.

Two saws are nice to have, get one pinched and you can cut the other one out, been there more times than I care to count:hmm3grin2orange: I cut Oak 100 miles from home, I take at least three saws with me, just because!
So to surmise, find your budget, find a dealer that treats you right, handle the saws in your price range, find the one that fits you and if you can, is one size bigger than you need then buy a cheap refurb Polaun for a back up saw. (or watch Craigslist for a used deal)

awesome post!

Find a good dealer who won't sell you soimething you don't need . If you have little experience with chainsaws don't buy a high strung professional model as your first one (aka 346xp) . Get something mid range you can afford then you'll love the proffessional stuff later as your second or third saw:smile2:

Good point!!!!
I didn't think about that!
I'd still stay in the 50cc range for the wood that we have here.
50cc's is really all you need here if you know how to cut, maybe a tad slower but it beats handling extra saw.
When you start getting into 18-20+ hard wood get's hard to haul to your truck. When cutting on permit in Mi. you can't cut live standing trees or just go driving though the woods. You have to use a cart, wheelbarrow, ect. and you can only back in so much from the road. So I'd be going after the smaller stuff 8-12,14" especially if I had to haul it 20,30,40yds. thru the forrest via wheelbarrow.
If this was my only means of heat I'd rather have some Amish slab wood delivered.

That's why I went Husky!!!
After chopping my "Dirty ol' Man" out and bending the bar with a dull ax that I had to go back to the house to get, after the tree that I was backing up by the the power lines decided to sit down on my bar and take a rest. I soon not only had a second saw w/ me I have a SHARP ax in all trucks!!! Watching all the lights flicker in the neighborhood was cool though!!!!!

stupid kid :msp_glare:

Mike - I was in your shoes about a month ago. I was looking for a new 50cc to 60cc multi-purpose saw that could cut firewood and cut brush too. I did as much internet research from the manufacturers websites as I could, comparing their specs so I could reasonably have a fair comparison. I chose to look at mid range or pro saws that would in the $475 - $500 price range. I'm certainly no pro, but wanted more than a homeowner saw, and a dealer that could provide service and support.

In my area, I narrowed it down to 3 brands due to supporting dealers. I looked at Echo, Jonsred, and Stihl.

I really liked the Echo CS600P (60cc), but thought it would do me in after a day of brush cutting due to the weight and it felt like it was too much saw for brush cutting, and the price exceeded my range. It looked like it would eat through a good sized log though...it had a 20 in. bar. I also looked at a CS500P (50cc), much better regarding the weight, it had an 18 in. bar $450.00 It appeared to be made pretty well. All Echo products have a 5 yr warranty. From that dealer visit, I had something to compare it to, and determined that a 50cc saw would be the right size for me.

Next I payed a visit to the Jred dealer. Looked at a CS2152C (52cc) with an 18 in bar, very nice saw. I have used my brothers older 2152, seems to have a lot of guts for a 50cc saw. However I was not certain about the plastic hold downs for the saw cover on the new model. I really liked the weight, and how this saw was streamlined compared to the Echo CS500P. Plus the promo the dealer had going on, ($100 rebate on a trade in of an old junk saw, or even a cheapo electric one) $530 before rebate...To this point the Jonsred was in the lead, however the guy showing me the saw (also the owner) started telling me a horror story about one of the lines he carries. His story didn't really make me feel to confident on how he potentially could be to work with...my comfort level with the dealer plumeted....liked the saw, the dealer...wasn't certain, maybe he was just having a moment. Sorry I don't remember the warranty terms...I lost interest with the dealer and didn't get that far.

Next I went to a long time Stihl Elite dealer. I asked them to show me their mid range, and pro grade saw, 50cc, 18 inch bar. He brought out a new mid range MS271 Woodboss , and a new pro MS261. Both saws are nearly identical in appearance. The 261 (50cc / 3.75 hp) exceeded my price point at $560, however the 271 (50cc / 3.50 hp, less comp release, and a few other features that I felt I wouldn't miss) at $430 would fit my budget and fulfill my needs compared to the others. The 271 felt like it was an extension of my hands...very ergonomic, balanced, the things I was looking for in a brush cutter. The 261 felt the same, it was a tuff choice. BTW - Stihl extends the warranty of their saw to 2 yrs if you buy a 6 pk of HP Ultra synthetic 2 stroke oil...an inexpensive extended warranty...you're going to need the oil anyway.

I chose to go with the Stihl MS271 Woodboss for the saw features, its price point, and the dealer support. I also picked up a couple of plastic wedges just incase I get in a pinch. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
Wow!!!! Thanks guys:clap: I now have a plan.
1. 18" bar
2. 50cc
3. Visit as many dealers in my area as possible.
4. If it's to heavy or doesn't feel good to handle don't buy it.
5. Get a back up saw in the future.

As I was typing this I had an epiphany....I may need to pick up a Poulon Pro 50cc or something similar for my first year and then save up for my dream saw?

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Mike

Pick up a good used Poulan 3400 or 3700 from one of the members here for around $100.00 and never look back.
If the "no chain brake" thing bothers you then the Poulan 330, 380 etc would be a good alternative.

Mike

Pick up a good used Poulan 3400 or 3700 from one of the members here for around $100.00 and never look back.
If the "no chain brake" thing bothers you then the Poulan 330, 380 etc would be a good alternative.

Mike

3400 was my "BIG" falling saw.

Check the classifieds here, man, there are good deals all the time. A lot of the guys here do ebay, but cut AS members a little week or two slack price wise, buying through the classifieds here. Guys who work on saws everyday, serious hobby or part time biz or all the way.

You'll get the most saw for the bucks then.

On a limited budget, it is an easy choice, buy American's #1 selling firewood saw the Stihl 290, prolly the best bang for the buck do-it yourself firewood saw on the market. Will handle your size of wood with ease.
Two year warranty with a six pack of ultra mis bought at the time of purchase. Remember this is an enthusiast site, every one will be recommending pro saws, 70cc saws and up. Realistically the 290 will last you a lifetime with proper maint, and fresh fuel and good quality mix like Ultra. Buy one new for less than 400.00, built right here in the USA, proven design, there are literally hundreds of thousands of 029/290 in use across this country, the reason is simple, best bang for the buck. I saw commercially and I really wouldn't be afraid to use one in my operation at all.
If you ever go to trade or sell a saw one brand alone will hold it's value far better than any other. A pro saw simply isn't needed for what your doing, truth be known prolly 80% of the guys on here don't run a saw enough to justify a pro saw, it's just that they are saw enthusiast and want the best to play with. In this part of the country there are more 290's riding around in the back of farm trucks than any other saw.

New husky for a 1 saw plan would be a 555. Will pull anything from 16-24" no problem.

Back