Need help with first saw! New ms290 or Used 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with me it has been the itty-bitty underpowered, hard starting, won't idle/constantly going dead ,prone to break , prone to break down, homeowner/ box store saws that all ways worked my ass off.

if you want to do real work it is tough to beat a real pro class saw like the 044. 046, 372xps and like saws.

the closest saw i have now in size and weight to the 290 is the 575 shindaiwa.

the shindaiwa is quit a bit more peppy in the motor department. it is a 57cc, with a 20" bar it isn't much lighter than my MS440 with a 20". at best it might be a 1lb lighter than the 044.

now this shindaiwa is a darn good saw. IMHO a better saw than a 290.

would i trade it for a 046 or 044? in a heartbeat! LOL!:greenchainsaw:

another thing your going to like about the 046--they got an aftermarket big bore kit that opens it up to about 84cc! -

-- plenty of threads on building the setting up the 044s& 046s with photos, porting tips,blueprints--on this site and tons of people that know that saw inside and out.

Haha you guys rock! I was kinda hoping I'd hear you all cheering on that 046.. I'm leaving in a few hours to check it out. Hopefully everything works out.

I decided that the consumer saw just isnt going to satisfy my thirst for a high quality powerhouse. Two weeks ago I was holding that 290 in my hand thinking yeah this will probably do me fine but I need to shop around and research a bit before I pull the trigger. My dealer didnt have any pro saws so there was nothing to compare it to. I really wasn't impressed with its construction.

Ever since I was a kid I always enjoyed watching the race saw competitions on ESPN. I always thought they were awesome. Then I got to thinking, where do all these guys with hotrod saws hangout... Then I found AS :) I'm glad I found this site. Actually its going to make my firewood cutting more fun. I'm very much a motorhead and would most likely found my way here sooner or later after buying a saw. I would've had the wrong saw tho.. ha

When I first saw this thread I was going to ask about the size of the wood you cut, having owned and cut a lot with both saws (well, the MS460, not the 046).

But I see you've listened to Big Brothers and gone with the bigger option. And with your mechanical ability, it'll be a snap to repair anything on a used 046 that might need it. Not to mention, you can buy a saw that's just big enough for the wood you cut, but if you but a saw bigger than you need, you'll find yourself tackling bigger wood. It's hard to conceive of a life any better than that! :D :D

And then, of course, there's the BB kit for the 046 and porting and muffler modding. My 460 is off getting ported/muff modded right now, and it was one fine cutting machine even before that. Power, we know, gets addicting. :D

+1,000 on the PPE!

another thing your going to like about the 046--they got an aftermarket big bore kit that opens it up to about 84cc! -

-- plenty of threads on building the setting up the 044s& 046s with photos, porting tips,blueprints--on this site and tons of people that know that saw inside and out.

When I first saw this thread I was going to ask about the size of the wood you cut, having owned and cut a lot with both saws (well, the MS460, not the 046).

But I see you've listened to Big Brothers and gone with the bigger option. And with your mechanical ability, it'll be a snap to repair anything on a used 046 that might need it. Not to mention, you can buy a saw that's just big enough for the wood you cut, but if you but a saw bigger than you need, you'll find yourself tackling bigger wood. It's hard to conceive of a life any better than that! :D :D

And then, of course, there's the BB kit for the 046 and porting and muffler modding. My 460 is off getting ported/muff modded right now, and it was one fine cutting machine even before that. Power, we know, gets addicting. :D

+1,000 on the PPE!

Nice! Lots of options thats what I like! Big bore, porting, modded muffler.. Looks I have some reading to do. :)

Ill let you guys know how it turns out today..

That 361 that Brad showed in our trading post looked pretty good to me.
At $375 a very good price. Retail is around $600 if you can find one close.
Everybody loves and respects the MS361. You will find very few dislikes.
Just something to keep in mind when you go check out the 046.
:cheers:
J2F

Get the 046!!! It will be worth what you paid for it for along time. The 290 on the other hand will be worth less the minute it touches wood. If you fall and bump your head and for some reason dont like the 046 you should be able to sell it for what you got in it and then go buy the 290.But please dont!!

Wont go wrong with an 046. I have one and use an 18in for regular stuff and 25 and 28 so i can take on all comers.

That 361 that Brad showed in our trading post looked pretty good to me.
At $375 a very good price. Retail is around $600 if you can find one close.
Everybody loves and respects the MS361. You will find very few dislikes.
Just something to keep in mind when you go check out the 046.
J2F

yea but that $375 361 is long gone as is that clean $350- 044 power-head! things like those get scooped up pretty quick!

though you never know when a good deal is going to pop up on the TP.

another powerful saw with lots of hot-rod and big bore jug swapping is the makita/ dolmar 6401. you find used ones sometimes pretty reasonable at places like home depo rentals. and a new one can be had for under $500 most times. the oem big cylinder will make it a 7900 the AM cylinder is 85cc i think--

yea but that $375 361 is long gone as is that clean $350- 044 power-head! things like those get scooped up pretty quick!

Yeah, I tried to see it today and the listing is gone. Somebody got a good deal.

What I'm curious about is what happened to the original poster??
He said he was leaving to go and look at the 046 early yesterday morning.
Said he would let us know what saw looked like and how the deal went.
So far no reply...to me this is just rude...people offer help/opinion...no reply??
This seemed like a nice young man..and I don't think a follow-up to people's help is too much to expect.
Color me disappointed in the young man for now.
J2F

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried to see it today and the listing is gone. Somebody got a good deal.

So far no reply...to me this is just rude...people offer help/opinion...no reply??
This seemed like a nice young man..and I don't think a follow-up to people's help is too much to expect.
J2F

Yes....it would be nice to hear back from the OP.....

However, we need to keep in mind that some people, unlike us, do have a life other than AS! I'm sure he'll be back with a report. He's unlike the single post posters who ask for help/advice and never return.

Respectfully,

Dan

Last edited:
J2F

Ah come on! I wouldnt do that to you guys!

BTW I can't stand it on other forums when people post up problems, issues, and what have you never to return to let everyone know the solution.

Anyways I got home late last nite and was out all morning. It was a bit of a hike to go see this saw.. It was worth the trip down there though.

Looks like I'm her new proud owner! WooooHooooo!

Last edited:
Sorry for the huge picture.. Im trying to figure out how crop the rest down some. I haven't posted pictures up in awhile.

I'm working on it lol

Man am I glad I listened to you guys before buying a saw.. This thing has some serious compression! Although I forgot to bring my compression tester home from work on Friday. It feels very solid. Other than cosmetic scratches and a crack in the air cleaner cover its in great shape. I ended up paying 400 for it with a 28" bar and chain. What do you guys think?

I can't wait to use! I'm hooked!

Last edited:
2057528430079566354S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It needs a good cleaning. The air filter looks pretty good though.

He said he runs the orange bottle Stihl oil and not the synethetic. Does that sound about right?

I wish it would stop raining :greenchainsaw:

that big ms460 looks pretty darn sweet!

if this 460 runs like it looks you done very well on this deal.:greenchainsaw:

Full wrap bars, new style flip caps, yeah, you done real good! Give that thing a bath, run the piss out of it, and be proud!
Then when you get some extra scratch, get a 20" or a 25" Stihl ES bar for that beast!
Get some more, but the dual port muffler cover and tune it out good!
IF you are concerned, pull the muffler off and peek inside, but I don't think I'd be skeered of it!
For the oil, I've become a snob, I run ONLY Royal Purple Synthetic and premium (91 octane) gas. I'd say pony up the cash for the synthetic, it's not that much more and has a lot better attributes to justify the cost.
Nice score!

Latest posts

Back