Need help with Stihl 011 AVT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amatuercutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there, guys

I'm a new member
First of all, navigating/figuring out this forum is kicking my ass. Is this site supposed to be in half dutch?
Second, I didn't find a thread in the stickies for Stihl chainsaws. I found ones for Homelite, Poulan, Mccollach, etc, but nothing for Stihl.

Well, I'm here because I've read a few threads here and there, and this forum and its members seem to be the best.
I need some help with my uncle's Stihl 011 AVT. I've seen other people ask for help with this exact saw and people praise it very highly. I have a brand new (2 weeks old) Echo CS-370 and this ~25 year old Stihl saw seems identical in terms of safety features and general performance.
Even though I'm asking for help, I'm not a total idiot. Which means I've spent wayyyy too much time trying to figure it out on my own, but it's stumping me for some reason. I'm very mechanically inclined, but I've never worked on a chainsaw before. Despite it being pretty similar to other small engine devices, the simplest things on this saw are giving me trouble.

For example, the reason I'm fixing it for my uncle in the first place is because the fuel lines basically fell apart, if I wanted to be generous in their description. I got some new fuel line, but I can't figure out where the 2nd line goes. Obviously, one line goes from the tank to the carb, but there is a fitting for a 2nd hose that I can't see another outlet to.

My other problem. I took the whole thing apart to inspect it, clean it, etc. I, for the life of me, can't properly re-attach the throttle cable. The cable seems to be too long, and if I attach it in the most obvious way that it should be attached, it has the wrong angle to pull on the carb throttle.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm really looking for some pictures of the carb setup if possible. Thanks a lot!

Here are a few pictures to show my frustration
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr125/demonblod4real/20120718_123655.jpg

Last edited:
Go to the bottom of the screen, there's a language selector. That should at least help you get started.

Stihl

The other pipe is the impulse pipe, runs from the crankcase to the carb. The throttle cable (if memory serves me right!) is routed around the carb at the base, before connecting up to the trigger. Regards Toby.

do I need to retype my question, or is it still there? I clicked the edit button and then it just disappeared..

anyway, here are a few pictures to demonstrate my frustration.
20120718_123655.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back