need lightweight stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't rule out one of those refurb 445's I have seen around. Good AV, and they cut decently.

http://www.*****************/product_5009/HUSQVARNA_445_18_Inch_45_7cc_Gas_Powered_Chainsaw_Refurbished_.html

The 024 is pro quality. Lots of good used ones out there fairly cheap.

Zogger is stearin you right. Put the 55 on a shelf and wait for another one.

I guess we're back to spendin your money on a new saw.

Did this dealer mention whether or not he had any used saws laying around?

I just got an 021 this winter in a deal with an 046, and have been happy with what it will do in the limbing dept. I have yet to do much brush cutting with it, but has surprised me with its ability to cut bigger stuff than I had intended to use it for.

This however has not seemed to cure the curiosity that CAD brings with it, and am looking at the next 40 cc purchase. My stihl dealer says just buy a 211 and be done with it. I can't help but watch for a stihl 200 rear handle used, or deal on a redmax 3800 or 4000, a husky 339xp.

In the end, if you want a new saw, either pony up for the 200, or 339xp, or buy the 211 and run it.

If CAD sets in, or like to scrounge like I do, an 021 can be found pretty easy used for $100 or less. Buy a couple. :D

If I could get a new MS200 rear handle under $500 would that be a good deal on a saw that will need to stand up to daily and weekly work? I think I may have a lead on a 200 that I had about given up on.

Stihl ms250 is a good saw. 260 pro is good. new 261 is good from stihl.

I have a MS211 STIHL now 35cc 16 B/C only 3 cuts so far to test it out buy very impressed with the power it has. Gutsy little saw

The MS241 is a new pro model that is lighter than the 261, but not much lighter than the ol' MS260. Weight is close to the ol' crappy MS250, and I am sure the quality is much better!

Still, I don't really understand why someone wants a less than 50cc saw for "just" limbling, but apparently some do.......:msp_biggrin:

I hear ya saw troll, and I have many of the same opinions on a small saw. I don't climb much anymore but I found when I had the MS180 that I reached for it most all the time when on my property day in and day out clearing trails, taking out trees and removing debris from different road sites. With many occasions to be lifted on the loader bucket to higher places and all of the different situations where that little 180 was so dang handy, I fell in love with the light weight and power to size ratio. What I hated about it was it was flimsy and cheaply built to the point that very soon ( I mean like hours into running the saw) the choke/kill switch linkage disconnected and I could go on and on. Still, the little saw proved to be a real cutter for as long as it lived(recently blew a hole in the center of the piston head). Frankly, it was no surprise because after running saws for over 20 years I new when I picked it up that it was a lot different from the 032 that I have run for days on in. But man, did I love the light weight and maneuverability. So now, I am struggling with ponying up and getting something of higher quality, but I definitely agree that if I only had one saw it would be no smaller than a 260.

Still, I don't really understand why someone wants a less than 50cc saw for "just" limbling, but apparently some do.......:msp_biggrin:

Having used the one saw plan (60 cc) for 26 years cutting firewood for 90% of our heating needs those years, a recent infection of CAD drove me to a small saw and a big one, to compliment my main saw. The 021 has been the biggest surprise. I use it much more than I thought I would. With a 14" b/c, and light weight, I can maneuver around better, hold it higher longer, and although not as fast as my 034, makes the job more enjoyable. I anticipate cutting a lot of locust sprouts out in the pasture with this lighter saw, and not worrying about tearing up my main firewood cutter.

Bigger is not always better. :msp_rolleyes:

I think that you should look for a new 260 still on the dealer shelves or on Ebay. Otherwise get a new 261. It is an inch longer and a pound heavier than a 260.

One note: Blindfolded I could not tell my 280 and 261 apart; same power, length and weight. The difference is on the inside. I ran my 280 hard for a year and it never hesitated. Sold it for a good price and bought the 261.

One note: Blindfolded I could not tell my 280 and 261 apart; same power, length and weight. The difference is on the inside. I ran my 280 hard for a year and it never hesitated. Sold it for a good price and bought the 261.

I have been thinking along the same lines - it is the MS241 that actually replace the 260, regarding weight etc......

In fact both the 261 and the 291 looks like they really replace the 280 - no wonder there isn't a MS281! :msp_laugh::msp_laugh:

Back