Need more power for Osage Orange!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsfcks

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I reckon I need a bigger saw for Osage Orange (a VERY hard hard wood) than a Dolmar 5100. (Is this how CAD starts?). The trunks are only about 12"-16" max, and often 8"-10". But it takes more torque to pull a 3/8" chain through that wood. Where I live, south Kansas City, the only good chainsaw dealer I can find within 30 minutes is Stihl.

So any Stihl suggestions? I think an MS361 is not much bigger than a Dolmar 5100, so something more like an MS440 or MS441, or maybe even an MS460? I'm away doing more research just now as well.

fsfcks

My 361 makes me happy enough in 16" hedge, but the 044 make it a lot of fun!

If it's over 20" thick or so, then out comes the 064, and the gas gets guzzled, I smile, and the chips fly!

Casey..that might help, but I think more power is needed to keep a reasonable cutting speed. It already takes a while to fell, limb, and cut each tree to firewood lengths.

I was going off an old catalog - the current offerings are MS441 and MS460. Interestingly the MS441 has a pre-filter (centrifuge) air cleaning system which might work really well with the dust from Osage Orange. I'll ask the dealer. That might be a better option than the extra 1/2 bhp. This could be an expensive weekend.

Super hard stuff like Osage calls for power+torque. I'm gonna recommend my favorite 575xp.

*ducks*

My PP330 does allright in the orange up to about 12", then it slows down a bit but still gets it cut.

I live in hedge country. 440/460 is good. 660 better. Haven't tried the 361 on it yet, so can't give an opinion there. Heading out to tackle some big rounds tomorrow.

Casey..that might help, but I think more power is needed to keep a reasonable cutting speed. It already takes a while to fell, limb, and cut each tree to firewood lengths.

I was going off an old catalog - the current offerings are MS441 and MS460. Interestingly the MS441 has a pre-filter (centrifuge) air cleaning system which might work really well with the dust from Osage Orange. I'll ask the dealer. That might be a better option than the extra 1/2 bhp. This could be an expensive weekend.

The 441 hardly ever needs a filter cleaning. I owned one I bought brand new. Then I got barter happy and traded it. Seriously, you will not find a saw that needs less filter maintenence than the 441. Its gospel, plus its a good powerful saw that sips fuel.

you just need super sharp chain for sure

especially dead osage orange

I used to cut hedge with my dad when I was a young man, we would cut it out of the bulldosed piles the county piled up. Often it had set too long and dried out some and got hard! If your chain wasn't good and sharp it seemed to slide over it and not cut a chip out, you really had to put some pressure on it to get it to cut. +1 on the sharp chain, and be ready to touch it up often with a file if the wood is dried out. Good luck!

Maybe some semi or full skip chain....

It doesn't matter!! In Oak skip rocks!!! In Hedge, it doesn't matter!! Cut it green and split it dry! Even green you can watch the sparks fly off the chain. if you haven't cut it, you will never understand it Casey!!

If you think the 16"ers are tearing you up, wait until you drop a couple of 34"ers!!!!!! It makes for a long eventful day!

Hedge is nasty wood to deal with for sure but it's almost worth the effort for how much heat you get from it. It's the reason for a big saw with a little bar- the 268 with a 16'' bar cuts 14'' pieces well. Nothing like some hedge for good practice hand filing in the field...

Thanks guys...you've definitely convinced me that I need a larger saw. I appreciate the Husky comments, but like I said my only good dealer is Stihl. The MS441 looks a good compromise for me. That always leaves me the chance to get a third saw (90cc) later :)

sawinredneck...34" hedge? Yikes...that doesn't bear thinking about. As you and the others who have cut hedge know, as well as the hardness you also have to deal with the interlocking branches on multiple trunks. And when you do fell the trunk its curved branches don't always let the trunk fall to the ground. It is just plain hard work.

Thanks guys...you've definitely convinced me that I need a larger saw. I appreciate the Husky comments, but like I said my only good dealer is Stihl. The MS441 looks a good compromise for me. That always leaves me the chance to get a third saw (90cc) later :)

sawinredneck...34" hedge? Yikes...that doesn't bear thinking about. As you and the others who have cut hedge know, as well as the hardness you also have to deal with the interlocking branches on multiple trunks. And when you do fell the trunk its curved branches don't always let the trunk fall to the ground. It is just plain hard work.

LOL, Im taking the camera with me in the morning.

no kidding on the hard factor. we had some stuff piled up for probably ten years that were intended to be used as fenceposts (cuz they last about three times as long as normal creosote posts) but never used them. Went to cut them up last summer and they are HARD. the outside layer deteriorated some but the insides were hard as rock. made oak look like softwood. haha

Those were fence row clearing. Codominate's, sveral tree's twisted and grown into one tree. Fun stuff!! About the time you think you have the lean figured out, you find out you are wrong!! I think it was Bowtie? that had one twist on the hinge on him!!
Even on the ground there isn't anything fun about them!
And don't forget the wonderful sap!! Yeah, I'd cut down a hundred Pines and not have as much crap on me, my gloves or my saw!! And it doesn't COME OFF!!

About the best wood you can burn, all I do burn, but you EARN every piece you get!!!!

Those were fence row clearing. Codominate's, sveral tree's twisted and grown into one tree. Fun stuff!! About the time you think you have the lean figured out, you find out you are wrong!! I think it was Bowtie? that had one twist on the hinge on him!!
Even on the ground there isn't anything fun about them!
And don't forget the wonderful sap!! Yeah, I'd cut down a hundred Pines and not have as much crap on me, my gloves or my saw!! And it doesn't COME OFF!!

About the best wood you can burn, all I do burn, but you EARN every piece you get!!!!

Right, Andy, that sunbeech tried to gutslam me. Hell, I used as many wedges as I could fit, and it still twisted and rolled. Im estimating the big hedge of the bunch Im getting ready to take down is 30", but i need to measure it. Like I said Im gonna take the camera tomorrow, I wanna rip some decent pieces if I can find any without carpenter ant damage to post pics of the grain. I dont remember who, but I was posting last night with someone about milling possibilities of Osage Orange.

I've never cut the stuff. It must be really really hard.
I've cut some ironwood once, it was starting to get dark and you could see sparks come off the chain.

I think I would just skip the 441 and head straight to the 660's. You can never have enough power.

I cut with a 395xp most of the time. I sure like to see what my saw can do with this Osage.

Right, Andy, that sunbeech tried to gutslam me. Hell, I used as many wedges as I could fit, and it still twisted and rolled. Im estimating the big hedge of the bunch Im getting ready to take down is 30", but i need to measure it. Like I said Im gonna take the camera tomorrow, I wanna rip some decent pieces if I can find any without carpenter ant damage to post pics of the grain. I dont remember who, but I was posting last night with someone about milling possibilities of Osage Orange.

I forget where you are at exactly, but I think you still have my number. hav this overwhelming urge to do something crazy this weekend. As long as I can sleep 'till 8isham, drive there and be back in Wichita by 4:30ish, give me a call! I want to say it's an hour and a half each way?

Oldsaw is looking hard for a straight piece eightish foot long and fourteenish inches to mill.

Latest posts

Back