Need more power for Osage Orange!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, you guys!!!... It's me, Old Mac Guy, who is interested in the Bodark for milling. We were talking about it in the "How's Your Woodpile Coming" thread.

Bowtie, since you're 400+ one-way miles from me, I'm gonna have to rely on you (and sawinredneck, if he gets there) to cut up some nice clean slabs and box 'em and mail 'em to me.

There wasnt anything worth milling. The whole damn thing was cracked up through the trunk, and some parts hollow.This is typical with hedge.
attachment.php

Here's the old girl....I was able to round up a piston and ring...copped an entire lower end sans jug and piston from fleabay for $12...I should be able to keep her cuttin' hedge for the rest of my life anyway...

Anyone have a line on replacement gas & oil caps? Only thing I can't find...found a few that were in worse shape than mine...that's about it...

attachment.php

Last edited:
LOL Cheese. Well the 5100 will get fixed since it is handier for small jobs and softer woods. And because it was my first saw.

In the meantime my dealer had a good day and I am smiling as I just purchased an MS 441 with 20" blade. Balances very nicely, and should let me cut lots of firewood for next winter. Just because the 5100 had some dust issues, and because Osage Orange cuts dusty, I choose the MS441 over the MS460 with the newer centrifugal air stream.

Anyway I need to work up to a 660 - my muscles don't bulge enough yet :) Also now that I have 50cc and 70cc saws I still have an excuse to get a 90cc saw in the future, although I've no idea what I would be cutting that needs that power.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. This is a great, and most importantly, knowledgeable and friendly forum.

Congrats! Wait 'til it opens up after a few tanks. It's my go-to saw.:chainsaw:

That was a NASTY AZZ tree!!! Probably 17deg. lean on it. The parts I was thinking about keeping for milling (Oldsaw wants it, but I will look out for some smaller stuff) shatered when it hit the ground!
24"ish across, decent tree, but the lean was the killer!!! I told Bowtie I would bore cut it, I think that scared him more than anything:) It' dropped nice but sat on the stump, I hate that!!!
Bowtie got to run , as he called it, the "infamous 350", and the 046. I think he liked them:)
14k will cut Hedge nicely, just ask, as I made him run the 350!!!
Man is that a nice 064 he has!!! I LOVEDrunning that thing!!! Smooth as silk, cut like butter in that stuff!! Balanced well with the 28", nice feeling saw!! WOW!! Is all I can say!!!
Handeld the 044 and wached it cut, handled the 361, didn't run it. Given the choice after watching the 044, I wouldn't waste my time!!
Nice saws Bowtie!!!
I appologize for being short at the end, I was cold, wanted a drink, and needed to get on the road! Sorry!! got to bed at 2am, up at 7am, the fricking freak snowstorm:confused: that I had to drive through, and wondering if I would have that on the way home, wore me thin.
Again, I am sorry, holiday's kill on the time factor!! I would be more than happy to do it again though!!
You are alright (for a frikin kid :hmm3grin2orange: )

hinge

There wasnt anything worth milling. The whole damn thing was cracked up through the trunk, and some parts hollow.This is typical with hedge.
attachment.php

Your hinge was about an inch and a half too thick, bowtie....and you should have taken the heart out of it, it would have kept it from splintering. You did a good job, don't get me wrong......just trying to give ya some tips.......:cheers:

Edit...ok...disregard the comments bowtie..I thaught you dropped it. Redneck....WTF kinda drop was that???HAHA LOL....read my comments above......

Last edited:
sawinredneck & Bowtie...you guys had fun today. We could do with a mid-west meetup. I'd like to see some of the stuff y'all run.

That was a NASTY AZZ tree!!! Probably 17deg. lean on it. The parts I was thinking about keeping for milling (Oldsaw wants it, but I will look out for some smaller stuff) shatered when it hit the ground!
24"ish across, decent tree, but the lean was the killer!!! I told Bowtie I would bore cut it, I think that scared him more than anything:) It' dropped nice but sat on the stump, I hate that!!!
Bowtie got to run , as he called it, the "infamous 350", and the 046. I think he liked them:)
14k will cut Hedge nicely, just ask, as I made him run the 350!!!
Man is that a nice 064 he has!!! I LOVEDrunning that thing!!! Smooth as silk, cut like butter in that stuff!! Balanced well with the 28", nice feeling saw!! WOW!! Is all I can say!!!
Handeld the 044 and wached it cut, handled the 361, didn't run it. Given the choice after watching the 044, I wouldn't waste my time!!
Nice saws Bowtie!!!
I appologize for being short at the end, I was cold, wanted a drink, and needed to get on the road! Sorry!! got to bed at 2am, up at 7am, the fricking freak snowstorm:confused: that I had to drive through, and wondering if I would have that on the way home, wore me thin.
Again, I am sorry, holiday's kill on the time factor!! I would be more than happy to do it again though!!
You are alright (for a frikin kid :hmm3grin2orange: )

:cheers: dude, I had a good time for being in a hurry, but thats the nature of the holidays. Sawin's 350 is a screamin little demon! I ran his woods ported BB 046, and instantly loved it. We made short work of that tree, even with all the locals interrupting us. I learned a few tricks about felling, and appreciate it Andy! Here is a pic of Andy and his 046.
attachment.php

Last edited:
I will have to get my butt in gear and get to splitting that stuff tomorrow before the firewood thieves find it. The weather was crap at first,but towards the end of the deal it got better.

This is a classic example of carpenter ants destroying the heartwood of the trunk. I have seen this 20 feet in the air on some hedge, and mostly on mulberry trees.

attachment.php

Your hinge was about an inch and a half too thick, bowtie....and you should have taken the heart out of it, it would have kept it from splintering. You did a good job, don't get me wrong......just trying to give ya some tips.......:cheers:

Edit...ok...disregard the comments bowtie..I thaught you dropped it. Redneck....WTF kinda drop was that???HAHA LOL....read my comments above......

You missed where this tree had a 17 degree lean to it. It was clasic barberchair!!
I made small face, due to the lean, and bore cut it. Being Hedge, and it's stronger than you expect it to be, I still had to "chase it off the stump" to get it to drop.

Give me a call next time you are in the neighborhood, you can show me how it's done!!

As for milling, it was a twist all through out. The peice you had circled was good for maybe three feet, then it twisted the other way. Gnarly wood!!

Hey, Bowtie! Cut out the 3' chunk that BobL highlited and tell me what it weighs... Thanks for the suggestion, BobL... I was thinking the same thing... might get enough to make a chair from it... sure is pretty wood!!... I counted 69 rings and figure at least 10 more in the ruined heartwood... so was a sapling sometime in the 1920's...

Thanks, bowtie, for taking pix. I'm serious about wanting to get some of that wood... even 3' lengths can make nice cabinetry... or chairs... or knife handles... If you can block out a rectangular chunk of it, I'll pay ya for it and to ship it here...

Can you find some more??

Sorry guys!! It's all 20" or shorter now!!!
He has a couple more, but they look worse than this one. I will keep my eyes peeled on fence row clearings for some decent wood.
Really, you have to see it to understand what little there really is there to work with!

Old Mac...what size do you need to be viable for a project? I'll keep an eye open when I'm cutting it, and let you know what the shipping charges will be! A lot of the Osage in the pasture is only 20 to 30 years old, but there will be larger ones around the edge that I'll want to remove too.

Old Mac...what size do you need to be viable for a project? I'll keep an eye open when I'm cutting it, and let you know what the shipping charges will be! A lot of the Osage in the pasture is only 20 to 30 years old, but there will be larger ones around the edge that I'll want to remove too.

Where abouts are you? You can PM if you don't want to share it.
I am just outside of Wichita.

Back