Need my first saw- a keeper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwith3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Thanks for all your contributions, you've given me lots of great information while I have been lurking around.

Last year I got a VC Encore and it kept us warm all winter, 24/7- I am home all day. In fact, it was a little too warm as my wife wanted to not have to wear more than a tank top and shorts, so I burned about 8 -9 full cords. I had a huge oak and a huge maple tree taken down so I had about 5 cords to start with. Now I need to buy a chainsaw to take down some trees we don't need again, whereas the other 2 were done professionally and covered by insurance.

I have a neighbor whose tree came down which he has offered me, and he waiting patiently to come over, cut it up, and remove it, but I can't do a thing because the chainsaw I was given long time ago was a cheap Poulan that I was told not to fix because it was cost prohibitive.

The trees I am taking down are around 16" -19" in diameter. I want a saw that can be used next year and those that follow for a long time, so I am passing up a Poulan Pro, Homelite, etc. I want something that will get through the wood reliably, smoothly, and quickly. I'm thinking a saw with a 18" bar, or should I be thing 20"?

I plan to go out into the woods elsewhere to get wood in the coming years and to do so with as little fuss as possible, so I look at it as the warmth of my family in the cold weather is very dependent on the chainsaw I buy. I figure something in the $500 -$600 range. I think.

Please, school me, and tell me what to buy. A Stihl MS 261? Echo 590?

Wow what a screw up.
I took a tape measure to what I'll be cutting- mostly 14-16". Next year I may have to take down a 24" tree, but that's maybe depending on how it does and Minot until next year or the following one.
Sorry about that! Getting old, visual perception nothing like it was I am now learning.
Maybe I should look at farm/rancher saws?

+1 on the Husq 555.
I bought the 562 but would be just as happy with the 555.
If you're only going to own one saw, for firewood, the 60cc class makes the most sense.

If you are getting into 24" wood, a 60cc saw is definitely the way to go. The husky 555 is a great choice, as is the echo 590 (of course!).

My location is Westchester County, NY.
I called the Stihl dealer today. I told him my needs as I have stated above, and he recommended the MS 250, which gets ays he owns and lives, and sells the most to non-pros- who end up being very happy with it. He stated I don't need to buy Pro saw because I don't use it enough to warrant spending extra money. I told him if that's the case I would rather go to a level higher like the MS 271, but that saw isn't in the 60cc class. He thinks I'm just looking to buy bragging rights because, "how often are you going to fell and cut up a 24" tree?" I asked him about the MS 261, and he asked why not buy the MS 391 if I really want to spend $600 on a saw. He actually was very nice, just playing devil's advocate and looking out for me in his own way.
I'm looking at the Huskys catalog online.

My location is Westchester County, NY.
I called the Stihl dealer today. I told him my needs as I have stated above, and he recommended the MS 250, which gets ays he owns and lives, and sells the most to non-pros- who end up being very happy with it. He stated I don't need to buy Pro saw because I don't use it enough to warrant spending extra money. I told him if that's the case I would rather go to a level higher like the MS 271, but that saw isn't in the 60cc class. He thinks I'm just looking to buy bragging rights because, "how often are you going to fell and cut up a 24" tree?" I asked him about the MS 261, and he asked why not buy the MS 391 if I really want to spend $600 on a saw. He actually was very nice, just playing devil's advocate and looking out for me in his own way.
I'm looking at the Huskys catalog online.

Here's a thought, AS member and sponsor@spike60 is a Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, and Redmax Dealer. He is located in Ulster County, and I'm sure he would be more than willing to offer some very sage advice.

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your contributions, you've given me lots of great information while I have been lurking around.

Last year I got a VC Encore and it kept us warm all winter, 24/7- I am home all day. In fact, it was a little too warm as my wife wanted to not have to wear more than a tank top and shorts, so I burned about 8 -9 full cords. I had a huge oak and a huge maple tree taken down so I had about 5 cords to start with. Now I need to buy a chainsaw to take down some trees we don't need again, whereas the other 2 were done professionally and covered by insurance.

I have a neighbor whose tree came down which he has offered me, and he waiting patiently to come over, cut it up, and remove it, but I can't do a thing because the chainsaw I was given long time ago was a cheap Poulan that I was told not to fix because it was cost prohibitive.

The trees I am taking down are around 16" -19" in diameter. I want a saw that can be used next year and those that follow for a long time, so I am passing up a Poulan Pro, Homelite, etc. I want something that will get through the wood reliably, smoothly, and quickly. I'm thinking a saw with a 18" bar, or should I be thing 20"?

I plan to go out into the woods elsewhere to get wood in the coming years and to do so with as little fuss as possible, so I look at it as the warmth of my family in the cold weather is very dependent on the chainsaw I buy. I figure something in the $500 -$600 range. I think.

Please, school me, and tell me what to buy. A Stihl MS 261? Echo 590?

Some will try to steer you towards a 555...do your homework. A 555 will not hang with a 590 and the Echo will cost you $150 less. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the Echo cs-590 is the best deal out there in my opinion. Run a 20" bar, MM & tune, and you will be smiling from ear to ear.

Andyshine's video of his MM'd Echo cs-590 cutting as fast as his ported Stihl 361 (and you know a 555 won't hang with a ported 361):

Nice lineup in your sig line. Good thing you're not biased.......LOL!

The OP could buy that 600P from bplust in the trading post.

Latest posts

Back