Need opinions on log arch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999HarleyRN

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My step-son recently heard about a guy at work who is making log arches for about a third of the price that Bailey's and others are selling them for. Searched the threads for info on log arches and really didn't find anything negative about them, but of course the wife's first question was is this safer or more dangerous than bucking in the woods and hauling rounds out on a trailer. This year we will be continuing to clean up my FIL's 180 acres, hilly but not overly steep. We'd be using Ford 9N or 8N to haul the logs to a central area for bucking/spliting then loading on the pick up trucks. What do you all think? Good idea or not? I value your opinions.

We'd be using Ford 9N or 8N to haul the logs to a central area for bucking/spliting then loading on the pick up trucks. What do you all think?

I've seldom seen a tractor-drawn trailer with brakes on it. And once loaded you don't have many options to change how the load acts.

Log arches at least offer you the option to drop one end of the log so it acts as it's own brake (drag) and you're not carrying as much weight on the hitch.

Of course that's at the trade-off of more damage to the trail then being fully supported. It's especially a problem because where you need the braking is on downhill runs...i.e. the same places water will increase erosion problems.

if you use one on both ends it is fully supported..i have been looking into these due to a job coming up.. long pulls and he doesn't want any brush left in field...but i am wondering what size machine you need to use one..

if you use one on both ends it is fully supported..i have been looking into these due to a job coming up.. long pulls and he doesn't want any brush left in field...but i am wondering what size machine you need to use one..

its going to depend on the size of the trees...:msp_wink:

I'm not too concerned with braking, the part of the property we'd be cutiing on this year is not very steep. First gear on either tractor should be ok. We are considering the arch vs trailer to cut down on the amount of trips back and forth with the tractors and reduce handling of rounds. The way we are thinking of doing it is take the trailer in, top the tree haul out the small stuff with the trailer, then use the arch to skid the trunk out to a clearing/landing where the splitter and trucks would be. Buck it up right there so the wives could split and load. Last year we bucked in the woods, stacked the rounds, then spent a couple weekends hauling the rounds out to our wives to split and load. Any other opinions out there? Other than the braking issue has anybody else used an arch and had problems/issues?

I built and used a log arch for the first time this winter for the same purpose you are thinking of. it worked out great. I pulled mine with a 660 yamaha grizzly. I was very supprised at what we were able to haul with it. they are easily built with basic welding skills and can often be made of scavenged parts

most ours would be smaller then 16" diam. most are twenty to thirty foot tall.. so logs would be around 15' long...we got in and drug some out with the truck this year but its real soft, and hard to get the right weather to get in there..i am curious if a cub low boy or such would handle it? or small kubota? thats what i am considering.
selling all the allis's and searching for something different this year..

Got it!

Well we picked up our new log arch yesterday...now just need some dry weather to try it out! It looks extremely well built, my only concern is the size of the cable on the hoist, might be a little small. Saturday my step-son and I cleaned up what is going to be our new landing/splitting/loading area. Since my New Year's resolution this year is to lurk less and post more I will try to get some pictures up soon.

did it come with the optional pontoon attachment??????:msp_biggrin:

We opted out on the pontoons! Should have looked at the forcast first, 2 more inches in the next two days. The section of woods we are going to be working isn't too bad, Saturday it was actually not a swamp. The area we cut last year was down an old railroad bed and washed out during last weeks gully washer.

Back