Need some advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprad

Reaction score
I have found about 10 acres where the landowner has cleared timber but havent burned out the trees. The trees are all oak and have been piled up for about a year. I figured I would post some questions before I attempt the drive to cut the trees for firewood.

First are there any chains out there other than the standard issue ones that are sold at lowes,Tractor supply, home depot, etc that would do some damage on dead wood?

Second is dead oak easier to cut than dead pecan?

My last attempt to cut some dead pecan resulted in 2 dull chains and barely enough wood to compensate the time so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there. If you're going to be cutting lots of dead oak i would suggest using semi chisel chain. It will stay sharp longer and is easy to sharpen.

I have found about 10 acres where the landowner has cleared timber but havent burned out the trees. The trees are all oak and have been piled up for about a year. I figured I would post some questions before I attempt the drive to cut the trees for firewood.

First are there any chains out there other than the standard issue ones that are sold at lowes,Tractor supply, home depot, etc that would do some damage on dead wood?

Second is dead oak easier to cut than dead pecan?

My last attempt to cut some dead pecan resulted in 2 dull chains and barely enough wood to compensate the time so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I guess you guys do things a little different out there. I have no idea what you mean by "haven't burned out the trees". I am assuming that you have tops. Tops make great firewood. As for dead wood? Really I have not found dead wood to dull my chains any easier than greaan wood. Dirt dulls my chains. Dead wood does seem to make your chains chatter a bit so don't file your rakers too low. And, I do not have a clue as to the Pecan question. Don't even know what one looks like.

you can get it at just about any decent chainsaw shop-repair shop or possable a tree service that has a shop. i try away from buying pre-cut chains and for sure i stay away from department stores.

I guess you guys do things a little different out there. I have no idea what you mean by "haven't burned out the trees".

Well most of the landowners down here just get a dozer pile up the trees and wait for a nice calm day to burn the brush/trees.

Baileys or Amicks usually have good deals on chains.

Check out the sponsor section of the forum.

If your talking about post oak up around your parts, it is hard dry. One year should not be too bad though. At my friends place, we cut a bunch of them along a fence line and they where groing in sandstone. I guess they suck up the stone or minerals because you cant make it though a tank of gas with a chain. Dead pecan is not that bad to cut in my opinion.

Most oaks that have only been down for a year will still be pretty wet inside, too wet to burn right away w/o being cut and split.

I am guessing that the last time you cut a pecan tree (same as hickory), it was dirty. I don't think you should notice much, if any, difference between dead oak and dead hickory. I am guessing that the wood you cut was either dragged or dozed to its location and had mud and rocks ground into the bark. For cutting dirty wood, you are better with a semi-chisel chain - full chisel loses its edge quickly in dirty conditions. If you are cutting logs that have been dragged through the mud, take a stiff wire brush with you so you can clean any caked on dirt and rocks off the logs. PITA, but it can lengthen time between sharpenings.

Latest posts

Back