Need some direction of choosing a Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went with the 50cc poulan, it should be in on Thursday.
215$ is the "out the door price" with walmart. That includes a 3 year complete coverage warranty.

The cheapest echo 400 was 225 open box (dont actually know of it was used or not) and no warranty plus 20 shipping.

At about 15% more, it wasnt worth the risk on no coverage warranty on ebay... wish I would have had some more time to look for a better deal as I know echo is the better brand.. but I need to start cutting this weekend.

Ill update how the poulan handles the job if I get a chance after this weekend.

Thanks again guys.

It is a Homeowner saw for sure, but for what you are going to use it for the Poulan will probably serve you just fine.
Get a couple extra chains and keep em sharp.
Make sure you run it dry or drain the fuel out of it when it is in storage.

Well got it in this past week and came fully assembled which is nice, however I still removed the bar and chain just to check fit and it so far is very easy to work with. Added a 1:40 mix and some chain oil. Primed it and in literally 3 pulls it was up and running. This little 50cc has a lot of power. Did some test cuts and could quickly see this was going to work for what I need (at least power wise) However I wont be clearing until next Saturday. So I will try to update next week to let you know how it does a full day.

any 50cc saw that runs with a sharp chain should be able to do that chore easy.

were talking one tank of gas-- it won't even be "broke in"--lol--

maybe enough to get the plug smutty--

I hope it works out for ya. Id recommend is buying a couple of good quality chains. The chains that come with them saws are junk. Oregon chain would be fine to use and aren't expensive. Something else is use non-ethanol fuel and drain the tank and run the carb empty to prevent problems down the road.

Nice to see you have the saw choice sorted out. I would like to suggest proper PPE for safety's sake if you plan on being out there a couple of weekends all day. I know it is another expense but the cost is less than one stitch.

Well so went out to clear the land this weekend.

Brought the brand new poulan 50cc 20" and picked up another new poulan 42cc 18"and headed out to the property bright and early on saturday.

Long story short, we have returned both Poulans... They are pieces of ****..
And just 5 minutes ago I dropped the 300 on the echo 400 and will be shipped here by next weekend.

The full story if you want it:
Start the poulan 50cc up last week no issue's, sounds good and feels like it has a lot of power... so went and picked up the 42cc one too as a back up.

Go up to the property and neither of them will start. Tried different choke settings pulled 40 or 50 times a piece, nothing, not even a sputter. Pulled the spark plug ... its wet.. dried it and checked for spart... nothing... realized the cheap pos kill switch was causing intermittent power... wiggled it back and forth another 40 to 50 pulls...No dice... move onto the 42cc one.. pull a good 40 times... get warn out hand it to my buddy he pulls about 20 times then finally gets it on a drop start... finally starts up and feather it until running.

Runs for a good 3 minutes of cutting and cuts off... pull 5 to 10 more times... up and runs for about 5 mintues and cuts... another 5 pulls...run for about 5 minutes and cuts.

F this... Put down the 42cc go back and try to start the 50cc (my buddys has about 200 pulls on it already) I pull and move on to starting fluid ... nothing pull the spark plug dry everyhing out, pull the crank back till the piston is tdc and dry it and but it back togther... about 10 pulls and it starts...finally.

Were now about 80 minutes into the day

I take the 50cc one over and start cutting and as a turn it sideways to make a notch it cuts off... pull 5 to 10 more times its up and running for a few minutes and then cuts.

We decide maybe its a fuel issue... run to the store get new gas and new 2 cycle and remix 40to 1 and try again... now both the chains saws have cooled so we are back to the 40 or50 pulls again...

We are now 2 hours into the day

We take a break and dry both spark plugs let them sit and fianlly drop start both of them about another 20 or so quick pulls.

For a period of 20 minutes both of them were running... and when they were running I can honestly say they cut very very good. Then the start cutting off every so often again and were back to pulling 5 to 10 times every 3 to 5 minutes...

We stop and decided to mess with the carbs as maybe they are set for a different elevations, get them up and running and try a couple 1/4 turns ...nope runs worse... back to how it was... these are just crap.

We do another hour to 2 of on and off chainsawing with a couple good runs of 10 to 20 minutes with very little cut offs.. but we decide to take a break (about 5 hours into the day) and when we come back neither will pull start and are arms are all burned out from pulling those starts literally hundreds and hundreds of times.

These chainsaws are crap, they are made with plastic everything and every thing feels cheap. I will not order pouland anything again... they use to have a good rep but I assure you this new chainsaw line is cheap garbage.

Luckily we bought one from walmart and one from home depot and they both take returns, I broght the 50cc one back today and got my 220 back and ordered a new echo 400 for an extra 80 bucks.

Ill be bringing the 42cc most likely back tomorrow or sometime this week.

Well see how it goes with the echo next week.

For what you have described, a big box store cheap poulan/McCullough with a sharp chain will be just what you need

That's a bunch of ********! At the very minimum he needs a ported 70cc magnesium case saw with a sugihara bar and square chain!

Your answer lies somewhere between these two 50 cents each way replies, have to be closer to the second one though.

Like most things you get what you pay for, a used Stihl Pro saw round 60cc, 18 or 20" cutter bar would do the job and be reliable for years to come. $$ wise the cost would be about what you spent on the 2 x Poulans. I've found over the last 40+ years that money spent on a quality bigger saw is money well spent. The weight of the saw is really irrelevant as you aren't carrying it anywhere and the speed of cutting is much better.

Personal Protective Equipment is a "must have" as is some training or experience when falling trees.

An alternative is to offer the trees as is/where is to a fire wood cutter, they do the work and take it away, no money either way, dependent on whether the trees are of a good firewood species.

Stay safe and good luck with your endeavors. :)

To be honest this is a care of someone that is inexperienced and doesn't know how to properly start a saw. The other issue is the fact the saw wasn't setup by a dealer, and proper operation wasn't explained to him by his dealer. The saws he had were likely just fine and would only take someone with experience a few minutes to get the saws running perfectly. A lot of time and aggravation would have been saved if Cinko would gone to a servicing dealer and picked up a nice little 40cc saw. I say this because the likely hood of this happening with his new saw is quite high, as no saw is tuned perfect out of the box.

It unlikely both cheap Poulan saws were bad but I tend to like a better quality saw myself.The Echo should be fine out of the box. A good used Stihl 026 would have beeen a better way to go. Most are under $300 and are made very well with a positive track record.

It unlikely both cheap Poulan saws were bad but I tend to like a better quality saw myself.The Echo should be fine out of the box. A good used Stihl 026 would have beeen a better way to go. Most are under $300 and are made very well with a positive track record.

I agree. However the little Poulan's aren't all that bad in the right hands, IMHO the low end Stihl and Husky saws aren't any better. What is far superior is the service you'll have with a good dealer. The vast majority of problems these saws have, comes from one source, experienced operators.

Agree, sounded like a tune problem with the saws Andy.

Cheap tools have too many ways to go wrong and waste so much time
they aren't worth the trouble.
Experienced operators Andy ?

Agree, sounded like a tune problem with the saws Andy.

Cheap tools have too many ways to go wrong and waste so much time
they aren't worth the trouble.
Experienced operators Andy ?

Someone that knows how to start a saw for starters, knows sharpen a chain and tune a carb, doesn't bury the bar in the ground etc etc. I've saved many so called POS non running Poulan's from your average Joe, most just needed a carb kit, fuel lines, fresh fuel and a little TLC.

This here is a $20 saw.

Just an update to respond, because I know when some of you read the above you immediately assumed none of us knew chainsaws.

I might be new to chainsaws but the two friends of mine are not and one of them works for a tree service company.

These chainsaws were ****, you do not need to defend these.

Im not sure if you missed the fact that there was a defective kill switch on one of these that was causing intermittent spark or what?

This was not a fuel proplem or a set up problem, these were just crap.

We pulled the spark plug and tested it, NO SPARK (thats not a set up proplem), we pushed that cheap loose on off switch and wiggled it until it was at a place it would stop cutting the connecting and finally got the 50cc to start however to much vibration would cause it to turn off again.
Plus the larger thicker chain cut worst then the 42cc, the chainsaw just did not have the adequate power for it. It was complete crap.

Now the 42cc, the choke is supposed to be able to stay on at full and half choke, (which the 50cc one at least would) however that cheap plastic choke would just snap back so you would have to hold it out while pull starting it, which is a pain in the ass and also shows how cheap these things are. Not to mention it was also very difficult to start and was very intermittent when running.

It was not a tuning proplem because when it was running it would run perfect, no boggling or signs it would cut. But when you were using it, mid notch it would just instantly turn off. Not a fuel thing, both had electrical issues.

Both chainsaws do not have a handle big enough to insert a steel toe, and not even a mans size boot.... im assuming they want you to start them with flipflops on?

Starting should not require a 60-80$ service charge.
Install the chain the bar, the 2cycle gas, the bar oil, prime, choke out and pull.
Thats how a new chainsaw should work.
These however dont do that.

They both had their own problems and like I said both felt very cheap and were near impossible to start.

The guy that I said worked for the tree service said his ranchers will start on the 3rd or 4th pull nearly every time and he runs them for hours. Without issue... And to see him cussing at these poulans right from the beginning I new it wasnt good.

Yes I should have videotaped this crap so you could have seen but you can either belive me they were plastic junk or defend them and say we were all in error... whatever doesnt bother me... just please dont tell anyone to buy one... well unless you hate that person...lol

Just an update to respond, because I know when some of you read the above you immediately assumed none of us knew chainsaws.

I might be new to chainsaws but the two friends of mine are not and one of them works for a tree service company.

These chainsaws were ****, you do not need to defend these.

Im not sure if you missed the fact that there was a defective kill switch on one of these that was causing intermittent spark or what?

This was not a fuel proplem or a set up problem, these were just crap.

We pulled the spark plug and tested it, NO SPARK (thats not a set up proplem), we pushed that cheap loose on off switch and wiggled it until it was at a place it would stop cutting the connecting and finally got the 50cc to start however to much vibration would cause it to turn off again.
Plus the larger thicker chain cut worst then the 42cc, the chainsaw just did not have the adequate power for it. It was complete crap.

Now the 42cc, the choke is supposed to be able to stay on at full and half choke, (which the 50cc one at least would) however that cheap plastic choke would just snap back so you would have to hold it out while pull starting it, which is a pain in the ass and also shows how cheap these things are. Not to mention it was also very difficult to start and was very intermittent when running.

It was not a tuning proplem because when it was running it would run perfect, no boggling or signs it would cut. But when you were using it, mid notch it would just instantly turn off. Not a fuel thing, both had electrical issues.

Both chainsaws do not have a handle big enough to insert a steel toe, and not even a mans size boot.... im assuming they want you to start them with flipflops on?

Starting should not require a 60-80$ service charge.
Install the chain the bar, the 2cycle gas, the bar oil, prime, choke out and pull.
Thats how a new chainsaw should work.
These however dont do that.

They both had their own problems and like I said both felt very cheap and were near impossible to start.

The guy that I said worked for the tree service said his ranchers will start on the 3rd or 4th pull nearly every time and he runs them for hours. Without issue... And to see him cussing at these poulans right from the beginning I new it wasnt good.

Yes I should have videotaped this crap so you could have seen but you can either belive me they were plastic junk or defend them and say we were all in error... whatever doesnt bother me... just please dont tell anyone to buy one... well unless you hate that person...lol

I would have loved to see all this on video!!!

I read everything in your others post and this one. What you described is mostly ignorance when it comes to chainsaws and how small two cycle engines work in general. Tuning causes starting and running issues. No saw is tuned perfect out of the box, and one must adjust the carb on a regular basis for optimum performance and reliability. Sadly most don't know this, and even less know how to properly. Yes I've worked on tree toppers saws myself, use and abuse until it stops dead. Then they blame the wrong tool.

Yes the saws you had were cheap, but like I said they work very well in a knowledgeable persons hands.

Can't put your foot in the handle you say? Well that's definitely a deal breaker right there.

Well best of luck, hope you like the echo, nice little saw.

I would have loved to see all this on video!!!

I read everything in your others post and this one. What you described is mostly ignorance when it comes to chainsaws and how small two cycle engines work in general. Tuning causes starting and running issues. No saw is tuned perfect out of the box, and one must adjust the carb on a regular basis for optimum performance and reliability. Sadly most don't know this, and even less know how to properly. Yes I've worked on tree toppers saws myself, use and abuse until it stops dead. Then they blame the wrong tool.

Yes the saws you had were cheap, but like I said they work very well in a knowledgeable persons hands.

Can't put your foot in the handle you say? Well that's definitely a deal breaker right there.

Well best of luck, hope you like the echo, nice little saw.
I cant put my foot in the handle either Andy! My back is too bad to bend down that far to pull start it!:cool:

Well im holding on to the 42cc right now, I work on 2 and 4 cycles (I rebuild motorcycles and dirt bikes)

Check out my user name on youtube.

Im not new to engines in the least and do full carb rebuilds for side work on a lot of different engines.

I also know im not gonna play with a new chainsaw which has faulty electrical which is why the 50cc is gone and returned... That thing was crap

I think much of my frustration with poulan was blammed on that 50cc.

The 42cc I just spent the last hour or so since my first morning post tunning and its running good. Its still apain in the butt to cold start.

Just sharppened the chain and its running way better then before. Still feels cheap and im not liking it... but as this one at least works I think im gonna hold onto this as a back up. I already ordered the echo last night so ill compair the 2 when I get the echo in... if its at least mildly keeping up with it... ill hold it, if its still crap in comparison ... well then its going back too.

Well im holding on to the 42cc right now, I work on 2 and 4 cycles (I rebuild motorcycles and dirt bikes)

Check out my user name on youtube.

Im not new to engines in the least and do full carb rebuilds for side work on a lot of different engines.

I also know im not gonna play with a new chainsaw which has faulty electrical which is why the 50cc is gone and returned... That thing was crap

I think much of my frustration with poulan was blammed on that 50cc.

The 42cc I just spent the last hour or so since my first morning post tunning and its running good. Its still apain in the butt to cold start.

Just sharppened the chain and its running way better then before. Still feels cheap and im not liking it... but as this one at least works I think im gonna hold onto this as a back up. I already ordered the echo last night so ill compair the 2 when I get the echo in... if its at least mildly keeping up with it... ill hold it, if its still crap in comparison ... well then its going back too.
I drop start them with choke on and full throttle.

Latest posts

Back