Need Some Help - Stihl 024 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobooie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Had an 024 AV Super given to me and I'm having some trouble getting it going. First thought was a carb problem as the guy said it hasn't been run in more than a couple of years.

It will only start up when it's cold and when the throttle is held wide open. The moment I let off the throttle it dies and won't restart. To get it going again, I need to let it sit for about 1/2 hour (in the cold) and repeat the above.

I cleaned the carb out and the rebuilt it. The diaphragms were still very paper like, the gaskets are good, the screen if clear, and the inlet needle is not blocked. The fuel filter looks good, the fuel line has no cracks or holes, and the muffler is not clogged.

I pulled off the muffler and took out the spark plug to peek at the piston and cylinder, but it is kinda hard to see. Haven't run a compression test cause, well, I don't own a test kit.

Any ideas or suggestions :confused:? Itch'n to get this going as the wife is starting to question my abilities for my new found hobby.

a poor mans comp. test is to hold the saw by the rope and let the power head drop. If the saw makes a noise like :chug...chug.......chug.chug....chug....chug its ok as far as i have found. IF its makes a :chug.chug.chug.chug.chug.chug. its toast.

I just walked in from 2 hours of cutting with an 024AV. It is my favorite saw(this one is my Dad's; I am rebuilding a Super from a basket case).

My Dad does not take good care of the saw. When I "borrow" it, it means "fixin" it too. This last time, the fuel hose had rotted in half. Fortunately, so far it has been simple stuff to fix; bar, chain, fuel lines.

Without a doubt, I would put a new fuel line and filter on it. Cheap and simple. Even if the fuel line is not cracked, it gets soft. Or rots in half...

My old Husky sat for a while; it needed a carb rebuild AND an impulse line. Did the fuel line and filter at the same time, just for good measure.

I always start any saw that has been stored with fresh gas/mix.

The things that seem to drive me nuts are fuel lines and impulse lines....

Would also put a fresh plug in, and check for good spark.

My Dad's saw has had the linkage pop loose or get jammed a couple times. Make sure the linkage is in the right location and working properly. When you clean the air filter, make sure it goes together properly, and the choke lever operates.

Except for a rotted fuel line, and funky fuel filter, this 024 has been a great saw. My Grandmother got it new, for my Dad, in '81. I have a couple larger Husky's that are great saws, but that 024 is my go to saw when I have it here. That's why I am rebuilding one for me:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back